no. of lugs

notefreak

Hi fellow regents of rythm!
I'm curious: 8 or 10 lugs on a snare drum? What would be the difference?

I couldn't find a topic discussing the matter so I'm asking you guys instead.

Timekeep69

Doesn't really matter, 10 lugs gives you a little more tuning precision but 8 lugs does a fine job too. I used to do 10 lugs on any 14" snare drum I built until I realized that 8 does just as good a job and it also allows the finish to be seen better.

Steaky

Does it allow for a tiny bit more shell resonance particularly on thin shelled drums? I've heard this said about the Gretsch idea of 5 lugs on 12" toms.

Alan_

basically, with the precision of drumhead manufacture at this point, there's no reason for 10 or more lugs unless it's a hi-tension marching snare. When I compare a Ludwig 10-lug Supraphonic to an 8-lug Acrolite (same shell material), the acrolite sounds more open and slightly fatter to me. Timekeep's right tho (of course, guy's got so much knowledge): the difference is small.

notefreak

Once again, thanks for the input :D

So to summarize: you need an experienced set of ears to detect the difference?
Would that small difference tuning-wise only benefit the experienced tuner?

Alan_

I'd say you'd be able to tell the difference, but it's not that great.

And, as I said, given the consistency of modern drumheads, I don't really think that many lugs are a benefit, but a hindrance.

Steaky

Slightly veering of topic but if the number of lugs have a negligible effect on the drum, does the type of lug? Or is that the same story boiling down to preference and aesthetics?

Timekeep69

The size and mass of the lug can effect the sound as well as how much of the lug cones into direct contatc with the shell.

Alan_

also, I find that 8 lugs are easier to get in tune than 10, due to the symmetry of the arrangement.