Niel Peart

Groove

What do I think? I think spell check is a great thing and should be used often!!

:D :D

Seriouly NEIL is a great drummer and has been an icon for decades. I grew up play Rush tunes.

DrummerSnake

Neil Peart definetly is a great drummer, but - great being a relative term - there are others that cannot go without mention - Mike Portnoy, Carter Beauford, even Phil Rudd and Lars can be considered great for thier style of music.

DrumFiend0206

Groove":1mtj9uuv said:
What do I think? I think spell check is a great thing and should be used often!!

:D :D

Seriouly NEIL is a great drummer and has been an icon for decades. I grew up play Rush tunes.
Lol, not trying to start a fight at all, but come on...it's a little bit ironic that you misspelled a word. lol

And Neil is a great drummer, but not the greatest. I don't think there ever could be a greatest of all time. All drummer are constantly learning new things, and getting more inspiration. If you knew EVERYTHING, there would be no more point in playing. :D

break the prism

i think he's a great drummer technically, but i don't feel any heart in what he plays. that and well...he uses the same linear pattern from Spirit of Radio in about 15 other songs.

Howepirate

break the prism":utpvdmck said:
i think he's a great drummer technically, but i don't feel any heart in what he plays. that and well...he uses the same linear pattern from Spirit of Radio in about 15 other songs.
Yo dude...the guy lost his wife and kids..he probably has a deep concentrated thought when he plays because of it. Not to mention he does most of the artwork and lyrics for the songs

break the prism

i didn't say he wasn't creative. and i know about his life and his work with Rush. i love Rush, i'm just stating that i don't feel any heart in Peart's drumming anymore. and i happened to notice that he's re-used the same beat throughout a lot of Rush' albums.

m

he's recently said that touring is taking its toll on him; he's in pain after the shows, and I don't think he's ever really enjoyed the touring life- he's said as much several times. Considering that they're not exactly teen-agers anymore, it's pretty amazing that they still do the intense shows that they do.

On the last tour, it looked to me like it took him a lot more effort and it didn't seem quite as smooth. Over the years, many people have claimed he's stiff and 'soulless' it's even something Neil himself says he tries to work on. Personally, I like his style, I think it fits the band just fine. It's definitely more cerebrally-oriented, to me- his parts are finely crafted and arranged and he pretty much always plays them exactly the same. But that's what they do.

He obviously has an immense love and respect for drums and percussion, and that can't help but be a good influence for any drummist, I figure.
I'm just glad Rush is still going. (Of course, I haven't heard the whole new album yet...)

I'm curious about this post though:
Not to mention he does most of the artwork
how do you mean? That's not something I've heard before.

m

break the prism":1yebu2ij said:
he does Rush's album cover concept art and such. he designed the "starman" logo on his bass drum head and wrap finishes.
well, I'm even more confused now-
I thought Hugh Syme had been designing the cover art; I know Neil works closely with him, but Hugh's always been the credited artist.

in fact, this is taken from Wikipedia (I know, it's not exactly the 'ultimate' source, but this is what I've always understood to be the case with Rush artwork):

Hugh Syme is a graphic artist, he is best known for his artwork and cover concepts for rock and metal bands. He is also a musician and has appeared in some Rush songs as a keyboard player. He is notably responsible for all of Rush's album cover art since 1975's Caress of Steel. He also created Rush's famous starman logo. He has said on several occasions that he never imagined the band would use it as their main logo.

break the prism

i was always confused by that as well. because i've heard Rush in interviews saying that Neil did a lot of the artwork, but i've also heard of Hugh Syme and his work with their albums. i don't know. as far as drumming goes, i'm a fan of what Peart has done with Rush, and his "Professor" solos are stunning, but the issue of re-using and overusing certain beats is still apparent to me.

m

yeah, I'm really hoping the 'ting ta-ta-ting' ride pattern doesn't crop up too much on the new album~

break the prism

the linear pattern i'm talking about that he uses a lot is kind of like that.
ting tingtingta ting, tingting ta tingting (from Spirit of Radio)

Johnny Cat

break the prism":1yo0gu7i said:
i was always confused by that as well. because i've heard Rush in interviews saying that Neil did a lot of the artwork, but i've also heard of Hugh Syme and his work with their albums. i don't know. as far as drumming goes, i'm a fan of what Peart has done with Rush, and his "Professor" solos are stunning, but the issue of re-using and overusing certain beats is still apparent to me.
Have you counted how many Rush songs there are in total that he plays on? 132.

How many songs does he play that ride pattern on? 6. That's less than 5%. After The Body Electric and Between The Wheels on Grace Under Pressure in 1984, he didn't even use it again until about 10 years later.

That hardly seems like he's using it too much. Seems the problem doesn't lie with him, it's with you limiting yourself to the number of Rush songs you listen to, then criticizing his playing.

All three of them would give Hugh ideas as to what they wanted. None of them can paint, so obviously they would have to commission someone else to do it. Most of those album covers are real paintings. I saw the Power Windows painting hanging in the Anthem offices in Toronto. That's where Hugh Syme came in, and of course, Hugh has come up with a lot of the ideas himself because he worked really well with the band and they're always open to anything that works and they feel good about.

Neil is a pioneer, and I absolutely love his playing, but I know he's not the greatest ever. He HATES to repeat himself, so anything he ever played repetitively was because it worked for the song, or it was something he really had fun with. Besides, one way a signature sound develops is to use things that work, and learn how to apply them more than once.

Many people don't feel any heart in his older playing, or his recent playing, but that's not his fault. I feel lots of heart and soul in his playing. His playing is just not for everybody.