Nicko McBrain?

Is Nicko McBrain under or overrated?

• Underrated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Overrated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

phoenix7289

Anyone feel like I do about him? He is WAYYYY underrated and does not even get 1% the credit he deserves? I would say that, he has done some of the most amazing drum rolls etc, and just, his foot technique on the single bass, is truly fantastic!!! :shock:

What do you all think?

Dale

phoenix7289":1xqkefl3 said:
Anyone feel like I do about him? He is WAYYYY underrated and does not even get 1% the credit he deserves? I would say that, he has done some of the most amazing drum rolls etc, and just, his foot technique on the single bass, is truly fantastic!!! :shock:

What do you all think?
I think you are misinformed. Nicko McBrain is not underated at all. He's been in the drumming press alot over the past 20 or more years.

Maybe he just isn't featured as much as you'd like. :)

All this underated/overated crap is nothing but nonsense.

phoenix7289

Dale":2daq8qry said:
phoenix7289":2daq8qry said:

What do you all think?
I think you are misinformed. Nicko McBrain is not underated at all. He's been in the drumming press alot over the past 20 or more years.

Well I just... gahhh, I don't know. Here in the USA, the only drummers you really ever hear about, are like, Lars Ulrich, Joey Jordison(Slipknot), the drummer for A7X, for Slayer, Dave Makintosh(Dragonforce). You see, in America, it's like, the person MUST play double bass, or else they aren't cool AT ALL!!! And then, my friends, who may want me to join their bands, are like, CAN YOU GO DOUBLE BASS FOR US?! And I'm like... it's very difficult you know. And I would really like to live up to be like Nicko McBrain. Maybe he isn't under OR overrated. Maybe he is just.... not rated at all?

Dale

phoenix7289":2m08xyv5 said:
Well I just... gahhh, I don't know. Here in the USA, the only drummers you really ever hear about, are like, Lars Ulrich, Joey Jordison(Slipknot), the drummer for A7X, for Slayer, Dave Makintosh(Dragonforce). You see, in America, it's like, the person MUST play double bass, or else they aren't cool AT ALL!!! And then, my friends, who may want me to join their bands, are like, CAN YOU GO DOUBLE BASS FOR US?! And I'm like... it's very difficult you know. And I would really like to live up to be like Nicko McBrain. Maybe he isn't under OR overrated. Maybe he is just.... not rated at all?
You may be right in some ways. I've noticed that the majority of American drummers focus, surprisingly, on very few players. The greatest majority of drummers seems only concerned with heavy metal players playing, as you say, double bass drums. The next group, somewhat smaller, focuses on what I suppose is classed as "Punk"; another form of heavy rock. Then there is the group, as seen on one forum in particular, that focuses on fusion and overplaying and worships at the alter of about 3 players.

Outside of this group is a vast number of players who seem to be completely ignored. Some of whom are among the greatest players to have lived. For example, I've never seen a Jack deJohnette thread on this forum. The focus is obviously driven by the mass media and heavily saturated advertising. This is supported by images within the drumming world of supposed 'coolness' and anarchist attributes railing against mass corporate culture pushed by these self same multinational corporations who have invested heavily in their various products. Products such as Metalica, Slipknott and any other that fits into this easily marketable popularist commodity.

This leads, at least as far as I am able to tell, to these discussions as to who is over and underated. I can only guess that these discussions result from what is seen in advertising campaigns. A young drummer does not see his favourite drummer in MD or Rhythm and thinks "Why is so and so being ignored???" Well, chances are so and so doesn't have a new album out that needs to be promoted. If you look carefully at the above mentioned magazines, you will see that the same players are interviewed and seen in advertising at around the same time.

It's all about marketing and producing mass sales. The corporate world reigns over everything in western popular culture. Music is no different. Eventually all forms of popular music fall into the corporate fold. Grunge, for example, began as a reaction to this. But then over time became owned by the corporate world. Punk is an even greater example. In fact it is possibly the best example of a form of anarchy that has become nothing more than light popular music in disguise. It is of course sold to younger people who have not gained the life experience necessary to recognise what it is.

Meanwhile, creative endeavours that exist in order to point toward a possible future, and as such are less able to be popular on a mass scale, are virtually ignored. This is why one never sees some of the more creative drummers, say, in the underground jazz scene in New York featured, for example, in the latest TAMA Starclassic advertisement.

This is the real tragedy. The most creative musicians, and often the most skilled, are the true underated musicians. They are underated because people never get to hear them or even learn of their existence. For example, how many guys listening to Travis Barker have ever heard the remarkable Kenny Wollesen play drums? Not many.

Pop music has never really been the place where new worlds have been discovered on drums. Unless of course we look to the very beginning at players such as Earl Palmer, Benny Benjamin, Al Jackson and of course Ringo Starr. For the most part advancements on the drumset have developed in Jazz, Latin, Freestyle, Fusion and early Progressive rock. Then later these advances find their way into the more mainstream of popular culture and its music.

So where does Nicko McBrian fit into all this? Well, he's there. He's working and has been working, touring, making albums and inspiring people for decades. This isn't easy in popular music when one gets up past 40 years old. I remember a Paiste cymbal special that was filmed as a documentary about Nicko choosing a new Paiste cymbal. This was nearly 20 years ago. And he's still here! People are still buying his albums, talking about him (as has been shown here) and his band is still popular. If you think Nicko McBrain is underated, spare a thought for Kenny Wollesen.

phoenix7289

I understand your point, but it's like, when I talk to alot of people, and they mention their favorite drummers/bands, they name all sorts of bands, that are like, Iron Maiden's twins. But then I'm like... where's Iron Maiden in there man? And they're like... ummmm, they're not that great. I'm like, really? Heard any? Maybe one or two... Then I show them some, and immediately they start falling in love. It pisses me off! It is because we are in America, and America is the country, that saw Number of the Beast, and cursed Iron Maiden and called them Satanists. And did a mass-burning of the Number of the Beast albums. God, THAT is why Maiden does not get crap here in America! Not in any way! Just in 2006, did they FIRST get their top 10 album sales chart listing! It should have been LONG AGO.

But back a bit on topic, Nicko has influenced a lot of drummers, whether some realize it or not. Will they mention him? Not too often. I have people telling me that Dave Makintosh of Dragonforce is better. Sure I am into Dragonforce majorly, BUT, that drummer, can NOT compare to Nicko, JUST because he can go REALLY REALLY fast. I mean, hell, so he can go fast. So can all of us! But can we all do alot of things that Nicko has done? Not that I have seen.

Dale

phoenix7289":bppgu7tc said:
I understand your point, but it's like, when I talk to alot of people, and they mention their favorite drummers/bands, they name all sorts of bands, that are like, Iron Maiden's twins. But then I'm like... where's Iron Maiden in there man? And they're like... ummmm, they're not that great. I'm like, really? Heard any? Maybe one or two... Then I show them some, and immediately they start falling in love. It pisses me off! It is because we are in America, and America is the country, that saw Number of the Beast, and cursed Iron Maiden and called them Satanists. And did a mass-burning of the Number of the Beast albums. God, THAT is why Maiden does not get crap here in America! Not in any way! Just in 2006, did they FIRST get their top 10 album sales chart listing! It should have been LONG AGO.

But back a bit on topic, Nicko has influenced a lot of drummers, whether some realize it or not. Will they mention him? Not too often. I have people telling me that Dave Makintosh of Dragonforce is better. Sure I am into Dragonforce majorly, BUT, that drummer, can NOT compare to Nicko, JUST because he can go REALLY REALLY fast. I mean, hell, so he can go fast. So can all of us! But can we all do alot of things that Nicko has done? Not that I have seen.
Really? That's incredible. Oh well, I suppose as long as they were burning they were buying. :D

I recall seeing something years ago with church leaders crying out against Ozzie. So amazing to see how harmless he was on his family TV show.

I saw Nicko with Iron Maiden years ago. They kicked some serious butt and Nicko played wonderfully.

drummerdoug70

I remember a time back when I hadn't been playing for very long and I was introduced to Iron Maiden's live after death. That is when I really became a Maiden fan. I sat down with that album and tried my damdest to play along. I didn't do a very good job at it but I was trying. But much to my bennefit what I was doing at that time was learning how to control my foot. Now when I play I still use some of that knowledge in my own playing. Nicko McBrain has been a huge influence on my drumming and would hate to see where I would be with out him.

I agree totally. Niko McBrain is way under rated and needs to given an award or some shit. He may not be cute and have a mohawk like beat up Travis Barker, but he can actually play a drum kit and do it better than probably anybody else.

jbreshears

phoenix7289":35ocjqz6 said:
Dale":35ocjqz6 said:
phoenix7289":35ocjqz6 said:

What do you all think?

I have to totally dis agree...It all depends if you read the right magazines or if you buy the right movies and...Even if you buy the right magazines they still have a bunch of diffrent style players.

phoenix7289

jbreshears":2gu90oa2 said:
phoenix7289":2gu90oa2 said:
Dale":2gu90oa2 said:
phoenix7289":2gu90oa2 said:

What do you all think?

I have to totally dis agree...It all depends if you read the right magazines or if you buy the right movies and...Even if you buy the right magazines they still have a bunch of diffrent style players.
Not necessarily. I have looked ALL OVER for him in magazines AND videos. Maybe once in awhile in a magazine, never seen him in a vid, which angers me.