New Set Soonish - Need some advice

jey18

Ahoy, new person to these forums.

Anyways I've been playing drums since I was 12, completely self-taught. I have never really had a "nice" set but I've always made what I had sound as good as it could. I play stuff from jazz to punk to hard rock (Danny Carey, Ryan Parrish, Travis Barker being some main influences.) I mostly play hard rock that sounds similar to Unearth, Every Time I Die, and Darkest Hour, but I play a little punk as well. I like playing a 4 piece, used to play a 5 but now I really do enjoy having a smaller kit. Anymore than 4 and I just don't feel comfortable.

I'm thinking of going balls to the wall on a new set here pretty soon and would like to get a set that will fit my sound, technique... generally I just want to make sure it'll fit what I want. Something that will last me damn near the rest of my life.

I have my heart set on a Tama Starclassic Maple kit along with Paiste cymbals and Tama Hardware. I am, however, a bit unsure if the sizes I have in mind will fit well. I realize it can be completely arbitrary but some input might be nice. Here's what I'm looking at.

Bass Drum: Tama Starclassic Maple 24"x18" (SMB2418)
Rack Tom: Tama Starclassic Maple 14”x13” (SMT1413)
Floor Tom: Tama Starclassic Maple 18”x16” (SMF1816)

I'm pretty sure about those, but again, any input/thoughts/suggestions would be nice. Pretty open at this point. Now as far as the snare goes I really don't know where to go here. Should I go with a metal snare, or wood? I do like the sound of Barker's snare in Blink 182's final three albums. And Carey's snare in Ænima (particularly in the song Stinkfist.) Any thoughts there? Doesn't necessarily have to be a Tama snare.

As far as the cymbals go I think I got those covered. Any thoughts on these drums though? Thank you in advance.

anavrinIV

those toms are huge. i would hate them. however, this is your set. the 4" spacing is great for 2 toms so youre set there. its your set, get the sizes you want.

ThePloughman

Lasting for the rest of your life only works if you plan on dying next week. Theres really no such thing. You are going to want another one in five years or less. Or another color, or different sizes, or a second kit, another snare, something old, maybe even .... custom.

And with those sizes........once UPS delivers them and you get them set up..... you will probably regret that purchase for the rest of your life. Or until you can order something different.

Why those sizes?

jey18

anavrinIV":3pdtp63y said:
those toms are huge. i would hate them. however, this is your set. the 4" spacing is great for 2 toms so youre set there. its your set, get the sizes you want.
I am considering dropping the rack tom to a 12" or 10" depth. I haven't really made up my mind yet, 13 does seem a bit deep. Pretty set on the 16" for the floor tom depth though.

Ploughman glad you could chime in but you really didn't add anything to the conversation. Guess you don't know how to take care of drums and make them last. Clearly I will be disappointed by something I have spent months researching.

I chose those sizes because I like a heavier sound with a deeper, fuller sound, if you had read my post you'd noticed I mentioned I want something that could play harder music w/some punk. They are not really that big. A 14" rack is not anywhere near "big" for a rack and an 18"x16" Floor tom is just the same. Go ahead and tell me why you think I'd regret that for the rest of my life, because other than you play a fusion kit, I don't see it.

dammow

i dont see what the problem is with those sizes. i too like a big deep sound. i have a 24x18 kick and a 18x16 floor tom and i get on well with them. i personally would go for a 13x10 for the rack though. and starclassic maple is a good choice too.

as for lasting the rest of your life, then i guess you just gotta look after them real good. i have a pearl export kit ive had for 17yrs that i mainly use for practice now and that it still going strong today ( i have just given it a face lift! ) and that is NOT a high end kit like a starclassic by all means! and for the snare i think you have got to find that yourself, either go try some at a shop or keep your ears open when listening to music etc and determine what sound you want to go for. but you may find, if your like me! you end up with 3 or 4 different snare drums!

go for it and get some pics up!!

anavrinIV

jey18":1gruk6jp said:
anavrinIV":1gruk6jp said:
I am considering dropping the rack tom to a 12" or 10" depth. I haven't really made up my mind yet, 13 does seem a bit deep. Pretty set on the 16" for the floor tom depth though.

Ploughman glad you could chime in but you really didn't add anything to the conversation. Guess you don't know how to take care of drums and make them last. Clearly I will be disappointed by something I have spent months researching.

I chose those sizes because I like a heavier sound with a deeper, fuller sound, if you had read my post you'd noticed I mentioned I want something that could play harder music w/some punk. They are not really that big. A 14" rack is not anywhere near "big" for a rack and an 18"x16" Floor tom is just the same. Go ahead and tell me why you think I'd regret that for the rest of my life, because other than you play a fusion kit, I don't see it.
if you think ploughman cant keep drums in mint condition, you should see his rogers collection. if anyone knows about keeping drums in top shape its him.

do you like to reach for your toms? the only reason i ask is because that rack tom will be up really high. i didnt like having an 11" deep tom over my 22" bass, and yours is going to be another 4" up. again, its your set. i think with the right heads and tuning you could step all of those sizes down and have a more manageable, more versatile setup and still get that low sound youre looking for.

if youre set on it though, get it. just be sure that its exactly what youre looking for.

jey18

The positioning of the drums isn't going to be a real problem. I can deal around that. I have a peculiar way I set up my drums as it is and I make it work.

I was more concerned with the sound. I want a full deep sound, but, you are right. I am still teetering on how deep the 14 should be. the 18x16 will stay but I think the rack I might even bring to a 9" or 10" in depth. Get a quicker sound of it too.

Drumosaurus

if you think ploughman cant keep drums in mint condition, you should see his rogers collection. if anyone knows about keeping drums in top shape its him.

do you like to reach for your toms? the only reason i ask is because that rack tom will be up really high. i didnt like having an 11" deep tom over my 22" bass, and yours is going to be another 4" up. again, its your set. i think with the right heads and tuning you could step all of those sizes down and have a more manageable, more versatile setup and still get that low sound youre looking for.

if youre set on it though, get it. just be sure that its exactly what youre looking for.
actually, it all depends on where he sets up the tom and what he uses to set up. If he sets it up with a bass drum mounted holder it will be pretty high, but if he sets it up using a stand mounted holder he can set it up however he wants.

ThePloughman

Jey, Um........ I dont know how to quite respond. Since it seems all your research is being done in the course of this thread.
But heres a few random thoughts.....

I was respectfully saying you wont be happy with it. Secondly........I am now fairly sure you have no experience with anything that big. (no thats not a sexual pun). Just my thoughts concerning drums. Bonhams last kit .......the SS was 26, 12x15, 16x16, 16x18. Prior to that he was using a 10x14 rack tom. 10x14 is the standard traditional size for a 14" rack tom. As for your snide remark concerning fusion sizes, son, a 14x13 is a fusion size floor tom. And like has been said before, its your money. Its your kit. You know what you want.

However back in the day..........

They made kits like that in the 80s. They sucked. As soon as Twisted Sister and Big Hair boob bands couldnt even get booked at county fairs........ well those kits vanished right along with them. Big huge kits, all floor toms 9 feet off the ground.

And oh..........Fusion my ass.

I was playing a 14x24, 9x13, 10x14, 12x15, 16x18........... I bought those in 1979. Here they are last year. 24, 13,16,18.

When you ask for opinions, you might as well be prepared for one you dont like. That kit will blow curds.

Howepirate

ThePloughman":3rw9i3rl said:
Jey, Um........ I dont know how to quite respond. Since it seems all your research is being done in the course of this thread.
But heres a few random thoughts.....

I was respectfully saying you wont be happy with it. Secondly........I am now fairly sure you have no experience with anything that big. (no thats not a sexual pun). Just my thoughts concerning drums. Bonhams last kit .......the SS was 26, 12x15, 16x16, 16x18. Prior to that he was using a 10x14 rack tom. 10x14 is the standard traditional size for a 14" rack tom. As for your snide remark concerning fusion sizes, son, a 14x13 is a fusion size floor tom. And like has been said before, its your money. Its your kit. You know what you want.

However back in the day..........

They made kits like that in the 80s. They sucked. As soon as Twisted Sister and Big Hair boob bands couldnt even get booked at county fairs........ well those kits vanished right along with them. Big huge kits, all floor toms 9 feet off the ground.

I was playing a 14x24, 9x13, 10x14, 12x15, 16x18........... I bought those in 1979. Here they are last year. 24, 13,16,18.

When you ask for opinions, you might as well be prepared for one you dont like. That kit will blow curds.
1. You just got told. lol
2. Those sizes are terrible IMO. because
3 I play death metal on 8x8 8x10 9x12 11x14 18x22 3.5x13snare

You can get an awesome deep sound from very little drums.

jey18

ThePloughman":ymtwylw6 said:
Since it seems all your research is being done in the course of this thread.

I am now fairly sure you have no experience with anything that big.

As soon as Twisted Sister and Big Hair boob bands couldnt even get booked at county fairs........ well those kits vanished right along with them.

Your inference that I have only researched within this thread is correct. Never mind that I stated I have been researching outside this forum I randomly found for months. No. I have gone to several drum shops, talked with several drummers who play an 18x24" with 14"x Y" and 18"x16" tom/floor toms and have heard them on albums, live, and in the studio. As far as hands on experience, yes, I don't have much, not as much as I've had with the kit I have played for the past 6 years but I have played them enough to know they get the sound I want out of them. Ah yes, and clearly the only thing that determines whether a band will get booked is the size of their drums, am I right? Yea... ok.

As far as your comments about them vanishing -- I'm not sure where you get that little tid bit. I could name 5 drummers off the top of my head that play nearly the same exact sizes that I am looking at.

The fusion comment was a joke, learn to take them.

I am very well prepared for opinions I don't think will be on line with mine but when you make comments such as "will probably regret that purchase for the rest of your life. Or until you can order something different. Why those sizes?" without - A) stating why you think I would regret that purchase and B) asking a question that is answered in the original post - I think it's fair to point out retardation when I see it. Keep making false inferences about me though, I'm just going to ignore your input now after seeing your lack of reading comprehension and logical thought process.

On to the point the rack tom I think will either be a 14x9 or 14x10. Still teetering on those two sizes. Going to go to my drum shop and test out a few of those in the coming days again. Floor tom is going to stick at 18x16. I still have to find a decent snare yet that fits the sound I'm looking for, though.

PDP9000":ymtwylw6 said:
those are some big toms i dont really like big toms.
I'm glad you could contribute such a profound opinion to this thread. It has certainly helped me change my mind. PDP9000 thank you.

ThePloughman

So um..... really, I think the problem here is LDS.

Youve changed your mind several times over the course of 13 posts.

This is fairly obvious, from my first post in this thread...

Lasting for the rest of your life only works if you plan on dying next week. Theres really no such thing. You are going to want another one in five years or less. Or another color, or different sizes, or a second kit, another snare, something old, maybe even .... custom.

If you lack the comprehension and need that explained to you............. again forcing me to state the flipping obvious in the quote. No matter what kit you buy today.........its not going to be the END ALL solution to your drum experience, because as you grow up, if you stay out of bars and dont bugger old men too much, and get to 30 without having your ass kicked every friday night.... then...... someday you will realize, you arent happy any more with that kit. And you will get another. And I got fifty bucks says it wont be the same sizes. I think "YOU ARE GOING TO WANT ANOTHER ONE IN FIVE YEARS OR LESS, OR ANOTHER COLOR, OR DIFFERENT SIZES, OR A SECOND KIT, etc etc."...... Damn boy are ya that dense? That is so self explanatory, even someone who is pretending to be one of the five guys in the world playing suckass sizes ought to figure it out. But Ill try to help, You will probably want another kit someday. ....... Oh God that was tough.

Now concerning experience......... I specifically stated ........you have no real experience with anything that big. .... I think thats explanatory in itself. Hence the number of mind changes in 13 posts. 13 inch deep x 14 inch rack tom. Jazz.

Edit........ Youve changed your mind from a 13 deep x14 down to a 12 deep, now we are talking 10" or 9 inches deep...... just who are you trying to BS here? This IS your freaking research. And my ORIGINAL post is pretty much validated.........Those Damn Sizes Suck Balls.

And um hey, Ive got close to 40 drums in the house, Im sure I could set up a 24, with a really deep 14 for a rack and another 16x18 floor tom for ya. As for 9x14.......its going to wash out a bit in the mix, and its sound will go flat fast. It will get lost in the sea of guitars, keyboards and other drums. That depth for a balls on LDS snare might work, but for a tom, go with the extra inch there, get the resonance and sustain you are going to need with the 18. The 9 is just going to be weak with an 18 inch floor tom.

Ayotte Custom Drums

24, 13, 16, 18, with an 8x14 snare. My contribution to market research.

Now you play jazz................... Im still laughing my ass off at that one. Those frigging sizes......and jazz.

This is better than cable.

jmanhughes

Yeah those are rather large toms. I mean just because you enjoy one genera of music right now, you might change or broaden later. So like 12'' and 16'' toms would be a little better choice i think. They can still be tuned low with nice heads, but also can be tuned higher than a 14'' and 18''. Basically a bit smaller toms would be more versatile. Oh and 24" bass drums are sweet. I’ve got one and it have an excellent range.

jey18

ThePloughman":13qttpn5 said:
The internet: Turning people into rabid morons since 1992.

jman":13qttpn5 said:
Yeah those are rather large toms. I mean just because you enjoy one genera of music right now, you might change or broaden later. So like 12'' and 16'' toms would be a little better choice i think. They can still be tuned low with nice heads, but also can be tuned higher than a 14'' and 18''. Basically a bit smaller toms would be more versatile. Oh and 24" bass drums are sweet. I’ve got one and it have an excellent range.
Probably the best advice here without being a complete tool.

Rem

mannn

i get fed up lugging round my kit that has inches off that.

its gunna be hell to record, and hell to get to the studio

drum bags?

and do tama even do these sizes?

Mitchell?

Jey, whoa man. Lay back...anyweyz...

Diameter makes fundamental note (wider = lower)

and depth makes attack

If you want a full deep, low tone, get wider drums.

And a lot of sound options can be easily achieved with different heads and tunings, so in my opinion go for a smaller in depth 14" tom, leave the 18 by 16, and get a bigger bass.

I think that'll getcha the tone you want.

jmanhughes

Some more on the toms....You dont have to buy a drum set just for one type of music. I got the MXR because I like deeper toned drums that sound powerful. Even though its a "rock" kit for "heavy hitters" or whatever doesnt mean i have to play rock. Its how you play them that can make the biggest difference.

jey18

Mitchell?":33yb41h5 said:
Jey, whoa man. Lay back...anyweyz...

Diameter makes fundamental note (wider = lower)

and depth makes attack

If you want a full deep, low tone, get wider drums.
I'm aware -- perfectly laid back too. It's hard to get me worked up, especially over something on the interwebs.

I'll settle on the drum sizes here soon enough. I scoped out a few more cymbals today. Checked out the Heavy and Power Ride from Paiste, gotta decide between those two in their 22" versions. I think I like the Power's sound a little bit more.