New or used drum kits

Spydr2000

I was considering buying used tama starclassic's in pieces off of ebay and just having them painted all the same color. For what these drums go for separately you could save lots of cash.

Also like mentioned before depends on what you want. I love my ddrum dominions which have a small price tag for a drum that is just absolutely beautiful.

Portnoy4596

If the quality of the drums are good it really doesn't matter but make sure there not in like constant humidity or anything like that but yeah I love the way an aged kit sounds likeI found an old slingertland kit at a garage sale for 50 bucks it was kept inside and was there when the people moved in and recorded they sound amazing

lisamp7

I just bought a new drumset and I had nowhere else to put and play them other than a studio that was hot and very humid. What would this do to my set over a period of 4-5 months?

Brian L

I bought my drumset used. since it was my first kit and didnt want to spend money on something that I wasnt sure that I was going to get into. Its been two years now, and I'm very serious put alot of money into it and hopefully soon I want to buy a new one cause I just found out recently that the 13 tom has been kinda crushed. plus Pulse drumsets arent to great. I'm looking a Gretsch drumsets, Pearl and tama. I'm probably never going to buy a used one again. but who really knows.

goatatl

There's a train of thought that as wood ages, it becomes more "accustomed" to being a drum, and takes on a more distinctive character. While I'm not sure all of that true, My birch Yamahas that I bought new in '88 sound better 20 years later than when they were new. Plus, as previously mentioned, if you look around (eBay, etc...) you can find some killer deals. On the down side (to some), you're not likely to find an 18" deep kick in an old Gretsch; they just really weren't made. But I'll put my old Ludwigs next to anything out there. I believe there is some degree of truth to the " they don't make 'em like they used to" addage. Plus, to me, there's just something really COOL about vintage kits.

(I think red Vistalites are right up there with the wheel and sliced bread).

Howepirate

goatatl":p07ibtdr said:
There's a train of thought that as wood ages, it becomes more "accustomed" to being a drum, and takes on a more distinctive character. While I'm not sure all of that true, My birch Yamahas that I bought new in '88 sound better 20 years later than when they were new. Plus, as previously mentioned, if you look around (eBay, etc...) you can find some killer deals. On the down side (to some), you're not likely to find an 18" deep kick in an old Gretsch; they just really weren't made. But I'll put my old Ludwigs next to anything out there. I believe there is some degree of truth to the " they don't make 'em like they used to" addage. Plus, to me, there's just something really COOL about vintage kits.

(I think red Vistalites are right up there with the wheel and sliced bread).

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: So pretty~!!!!

goatatl

Thanks, man; I got really lucky; $780.00 USD on eBay. (just the 4 drums, the RCI snare hardware & cymbals were extra :)

guilty_verdict

I really like to buy second hand kits that require a bit of TLC and tidy them up. You end up with a great sounding kit at the end, and it's really rewarding because you've done it yourself.

dwtoast72

goatatl":2nn9lgyx said:
There's a train of thought that as wood ages, it becomes more "accustomed" to being a drum, and takes on a more distinctive character. While I'm not sure all of that true, My birch Yamahas that I bought new in '88 sound better 20 years later than when they were new
do you think that this might have to do with better quality heads, tuning technique, etc????

dwtoast72

guilty_verdict":1hgthrwo said:
I really like to buy second hand kits that require a bit of TLC and tidy them up. You end up with a great sounding kit at the end, and it's really rewarding because you've done it yourself.
i truely dig this idea!!! might do it myself..... but I want to find an old as dirt rogers or something like that and bring it back to life, use it on the side for projects and stuff

goatatl

dwtoast72":2xz0hbq7 said:
do you think that this might have to do with better quality heads, tuning technique, etc????
I still pretty much stick with Coated Emperors, and they probably still make tham about the same. I'd certainly like to think my tuning technique has improved...

dwtoast72

goatatl":2esc3g5r said:
dwtoast72":2esc3g5r said:
I still pretty much stick with Coated Emperors, and they probably still make tham about the same. I'd certainly like to think my tuning technique has improved...
lol, no doubt