New music that doesn't just appeal to Teenagers

Mike T

Now before all you young whipper snappers get your panties in a bunch ,nothing wrong with Teenagers hell i was one once... this thread is for discussing Old School Music or New Music by Old school musicians or new talent that no one has heard of before ..it is NOT for discussing TOOL,Staind, or any other already known band of the moment... have fun be nice and i will too....

Ok who knows about Otiel and the peacemakers? Lance Lopez? Jack Pearson, these are a few of the people i am really into now ...

Jee

Mike T":3vpllua6 said:
Now before all you young whipper snappers get your panties in a bunch ,nothing wrong with Teenagers hell i was one once... this thread is for discussing Old School Music or New Music by Old school musicians or new talent that no one has heard of before ..it is NOT for discussing TOOL,Staind, or any other already known band of the moment... have fun be nice and i will too....
Ok who knows about Otiel and the peacemakers? Lance Lopez? Jack Pearson, these are a few of the people i am really into now ...[/quote

I have not heard of these musicians but I like your idea about talking about lesser known people. I have a new favorite drummer and he is Coady Willis currently playing with Big Buisness & 2nd drummer next to Dale Crower in Melvins. Check here - http://www.myspace.com/bigbigbusiness

Rockula!

I guess this topic could go either way depending on the focus
Since the people who frequent this board consider themselves to be musicians more than consumers, I will approach it from the musician standpoint

When talking about "teenybopper music" you cannot argue that it has always existed (I used to pump my fist singing "We're not gonna take it")
From Pat Boone whitewashing Little Richard songs to AFI with those ridiculous haircuts and girl pants, "real" musicians like to sneer and say "I'd never sell out"!
Let's examine the motivation of 99.99% of musicians
Once you take getting laid out of the equasion, you are left with the concept of "making it big"
Ever heard the expression "carrot on a stick"?
It was an old cartoon gag where someone suspended a carrot on a stick in front of the horse they were riding on in order to motivate them forward
Because the animal is dumb and devoid of it's own motivation, you need to trick it with the promise of a reward which only gets paid when you get the desired results out of said animal
This is the way that record companies have always treated musicians by encouraging the myth that one day you will walk off a stage in front of 50,00 people and get a blowjob in the shower before getting into your limo and heading to your $1000 suite at the hotel

Once again, there's always been teenybopper music but the advent of the internet and the compilation of demographic information from credit card purchases has allowed the bidness to concentrate on the DNA of a demographic
Bands are now manufactured to appeal to charts and graphs that maximize the profit potential
You could say that it is now possible to break down a successful formula to the cellular structure in order to weed out all the "undesirable" genes
This allows record companies to clone and replicate bands until the structure has been worn out and tired
What happens to all of those bands?
They either change their music according to what the chart says will be popular next, or they become a tax write off
After all, it's in that contract you signed in paragraph 458 (the sentence in microscopic type that says you are DISPOSABLE once you have been squeezed of all your profit)
Remember, Avril Lavigne (sp?) was supposed to be like Brittany Spears but they saw the end of the RnB Barbie trend and decided to make her a pop punk Barbie instead

Since I am too old to be marketable (although still incredibly good looking and charming) I have gotten deeper and deeper into the most obscure music possible
Here's some suggestions
Buckethead
Foetus
Einsturzende Neubauten

These people put out 3 to 4 albums a year (that's a slow year for Buckethead)
They tour constantly and play for people who truly appreciate what they are doing instead of buying the the new CD because they were told to by Mark Mc Grath on Access Hollywood

screamkevin

I cannot and will not get into a guy who wears a chicken bucket on his head. That is just completely retarded, no matter how good he is.

Rockula!

screamkevin":2mgblcwh said:
I cannot and will not get into a guy who wears a chicken bucket on his head. That is just completely retarded, no matter how good he is.
That's fine
I merely used these artists as an example of people who live outside the mainstream and play music successfully on their own terms
I understand your feelings towards Buckethead
I think makeup/mask bands like Mudvayne and Slipknot use their "gimmicks" to make you forget that they are crappy formula bands that cannot stand alone on their music
Buckethead is also a novelty act (he just happens to back it up with amazing guitar playing, songwriting and recording skills, not to mention his session work is in the double digits each year)
Hell, my solo project is a novelty and a gimmick as well

Mike T

Lance Lopez can be heard here on his mypage site he is from Louisiana, and plays some killer old style blues..

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=32152741 listen to "Kool Iron Bed"

Otiel Burbridge Is the bass player from The Allman Brothers band... And his own Band Otiel and the Peacemakers are a fusion blues jazz jam bandyou can hear them also on their my space page
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... 12d65b1106 listen to Church Groove

or buy their cd's His brother Kofi Burbridgeplays Keyboards, flute & vocals in The Derek Trucks Band,now if you have not heard of them you really need to get out more..Derek has been on tour with and plays slide guitar with the Allman Brothers and the Derek Trucks band as well as touring the last year with Eric Clapton.... http://www.derektrucks.com/

Now my Favorite Musician period is Jack Pearson he is a session player out of Nashville TN. but has 5 or 6 cds
out on a Indie label of his own band he play Blues, jazz, well anything you will notice a strong influence from Wes Montgomery,but Jack is in my opinion the best slide player on the planet and the cleanest guitar player bar none...Jack has played for just about everyone including the Allman brothers for two years but due to tennitis can not fly and so can not travel much...if you want to hear him at his best take a listen to the Jimmy Hall (from Wet Willie) CD Rendezvous with the Blues if you can find it and visit his web site http://www.jackpearson.com/

brian

I have not heard of these musicians but I like your idea about talking about lesser known people. I have a new favorite drummer and he is Coady Willis currently playing with Big Buisness & 2nd drummer next to Dale Crower in Melvins. Check here - http://www.myspace.com/bigbigbusiness[/quote]

Big Business and the Melvins kick ass!!! i got to see them live, best show iver been to scince i saw Primus

Daneman

Rockula!":3oci8cod said:
When talking about "teenybopper music" you cannot argue that it has always existed (I used to pump my fist singing "We're not gonna take it")
Take it even further than the Pat Boone example. Elvis was a teenybopper. Hell, even the early Beatles were teenyboppers. They really didn't get out of the whole teenbopper mode until at least Rubber Soul or later.

(Interesting tangent- compare the Beatles to the Stones. The Beatles were dirt poor kids from Liverpool who were dressed up in suits and portrayed as wholesome proper kids. Meanwhile, the Stones were all pampered kids from rich families who made their name dressing like poor kids from Liverpool).

It's interesting to see which way most bands go- they either start off as relative unknowns and sell out to sell records (Metallica, etc), or go the opposite approach- start off as mass produced music, then branch out on their own like the Beatles (John Mayer is another example). Either way, they usually alienate quite a few members of their original fan base.

As for new music that doesn't appeal to teens, I haven't the slightest. So-called "jambands" maybe (MMW, moe. Galactic, Bela Fleck, etc.)?

Gaddabout

The best you can do is unfairly pigeonhole teens in this thread. Who are those fresh faces giving Tony Bennett's career a 10-year reprise?

When I was a teenager I HATED popular music, HATED rock and blues and country and ballads. If it wasn't fast, funky, or progressive, I didn't listen to it. Now that I've been in the business and I see the care and professionalism a lot of these so-called "sold out" artists put into their music -- even the teenyboppers -- I have a great deal of respect for just about any musician who sticks their necks out on stage or on a recording.

Sure, teenagers are impetuous, judgmental, and don't know a whole lot about the world. Guess what? Neither did you as a teenager.

TheYardstick

I'm offended :(

Personally, one of my favorite genres of music is metal that comes from the days of the 70s and 80s and the speed metal and punk rock bands of old.

There are also quite a few Rolling Stones songs I like too.

Thanks for steretyping :|

Mike T

Geesh people can we try to keep this thread on subject and not bash anyone?? it is not the intention of this thread to bash any one group of people ..what i would like to see is a insight into new music ,not popular bands of today but more obscure bands or players ..

Flatliner

hmmm...well, its hard for me to judge what's not in popular music as most the time I think everyone's heard of them and then they look like I don't speak english as I name some of them. I'm also gald to be 20 now so that I finally squeeze out of that demographic into the 18-24 year old male category just as vigorusly judged as the previous one and the one that comes after.

So as I stated I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as away from the mainstream. take Rush, not very mainstream (or are they? :) ) but they have such a huge following that their worst selling albums go gold despite the fact that most radio stations don't play they're music.

So here's few fav bands/solo artist/composers maybe you've heard of them, maybe you haven't, I'll include some that if you're new to a style of music you probably don't know though they are big players and well-known to poeple familiar to the genre. The older you are the more likely you know of these artists:

Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Planet X
Vital Information
Frank Zappa (probably the most well known "non-mainstream" artist)
Ahmad Jamal
Adrian Belew
Tony Levin
Bill Bruford Eathwork's
Brian Bromberg
Chick Corea
Aaron Copland
Dream Theater
The Fall of Troy (just starting up, a litle emo sometimes but they've also got a great sort of mars volta vibe going on as well.Yes I don't like the emo scene.)
Funkadelic
George Gershwin
Georges Bizet
Giacomo Puccini
Gioacchino Rossini
Giuseppe Verdi
Gustav Holst
Gustav Mahler
Hector Berlioz
Igor Stravinsky
Jean-Luc Ponty
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
Joe Pass
Johannes Brahms
John Mclaughlin
John Scofield
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Kaki King
Ludwig Van Beethoven
Marco Minnemann
Mozart
Mr. Bungle
Oysterhead
Parliment
Pat Metheny
Return To Forever
Rick Wakeman
Sonny Rollins
Zakir Hussain
Thelonious Monk
The Toasters
Tribal Tech
Vital Tech Tones
Mozart
Tower of Power

So there's a bunch. BTW pulling up your itunes library comes in kinda handy for this thing.

As I said, alot of these guys a major players in thier fields, but relatively unknown outside of their circle.

ludwigdrummer29

im 15 since january...and my fav band is rush...can you believe im one of the only people at my school with a rush shirt... another one of my faves is the pat travers band

SmellsLikeIan

Check out Rhett Butler from Dallas. An amazing guitar player. He does a lot of tapping and pull offs, and gimmicky stuff (like playing 2 guitars at once) but he's also a really good classical guitarist as well.

fashioned

i think this would be a good time to throw in the band The Fall Of Troy.
they may seem to apeal just to scene kids and what not, but there
music is amazing and i highly recommend listening to some of there stuff

Rockula!

SmellsLikeIan":2xbr1xid said:
Check out Rhett Butler from Dallas. An amazing guitar player. He does a lot of tapping and pull offs, and gimmicky stuff (like playing 2 guitars at once) but he's also a really good classical guitarist as well.
I work with Phil Mc Neese, (his bass player) at Larry Morgan Music
I never did listen to his music but I guess I need to