New Kit Possibilities, Input and Opinions Needed

PaulZILLA

im building a new kit for myself this summer, from my custom drum series, i call my custom shop DrumShopMafia. yea its kinda cheesy but i love the name and the thought behind it kinda works. all of us drummers who get hated on and raged on for no reasons, and all that kinda stuff. we all would like to take a nice bass pedal across an idiots face from time to time. and we all have been tempted to break somebodys fingers for running their greesy fingers across our shiny nice cymbals. but anyways back to topic. im building myself a new kit. and i have 2 setups in mind, but i cant decide which would work for me most. i play a little bit of everything(literaly) from metal/deathmetal to jazz, rock, funk, hip-hop all kinda stuff. so i cant decide between 2 kits. so please give me your oppinion on each and ill tell you my problem as i describe. i know the sizes, my sizes and stuff i wont disclose. thats a lil secret lol. but i cant decide between a bass,snare, 1tom up, 2 tom down, side snare. or a double bass kit with 2 bass, 3up tom, 1downtom(technicaly they all are gona be suspended but overall setup you get the idea) i love double bass kits, but i dont have call for double bass that often, i love the look of the setup, but that extra bass is alot ot haul around and takes up room when not in use. the only problem with the 1 bass kit i described, lack of fill options in the rack toms. i dont do a major amount of fast and furious tom cadence style fills, but those are good to be able to do. i love both setups equally, but cant decide which i like more. as far as the double bass thing, i could always get a good double pedal and compensate for the second bass(it is nicer to have a second bass because of the rapid double bass choking the sound, but again i dont doo that much of it) ANY AND ALL OF YOU PEOPLE THAT CAN GIVE YOUR PROS AND CONS OF EACH SETUP, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. no im not yelling. but i wanted to make sure you all read that carefully. btw somebody also told me that i could mix the setups and use single bass with the 3up1down tom setup. which is an idea. if you want, go a head and tell me your thoughts on that one too. th anks in advance to all who comment. i really want some outside oppinions on each setup before i go dropping that kinda cash(im doin this right, think DW custom shop, DDRUM USA custom,) that kinda top grade kinda stuff(ive been told my stuff is kinda like the Sonor custom kits, but i dont know much on them so i wont make that statement)

anavrinIV

i would make what i thought i might need. for you, id say a double bass with a 2 up/2 down tom setup should work well, and have a double bass pedal (or an axis where you can link the 2 singles) so that you dont have to drag a second bass to a gig where it isnt needed, but you have it if you do. also, i think the side snare idea is great, especially for the hiphop playing. since you love teh double bass kits theres no reason for you not to have one, especially if youre making this for yourself. if you go with a setup that you know isnt your favorite then youll regret it later. if youre hell bent on one of those 2 setups, the double bass kit is the one id aim for. personally i am a fan of the 2 up/2 down that i mentioned because its a fusion of the 2 kits you mentioned and you can easily remove or add a drum to fit your requirements at any given time, but its all preference.

PaulZILLA

well the tom arrangment with the 4 toms is infinately adjustable. im going to have ALL 4 toms mounted with suspesnion mounts, thta way i can do just that and move them around as i wish. but im thinking of putting cradles(underside suspension mounts on bottom rim) on the floor toms so i can just switch between the top mou nt and throw the legs on when i need it or its more convenient to have it a lil lower. im not really hell bent on those 2 setups as much as those are the 2 i am most comfortable with, as well as i love t he way those setups look more than most others. my other delima betweent he 2 setups is that in the double bass format i was gona use a really sequenced tom sizing, 10,12,14,16. but on the 1up2down i was gona use 14,16,18 most likely. thats mainly because i have never really found 12in tom that sounded how i wanted that single tom to be on top, that may be because of the peoples kits i played, and the head/wood combination. ive built a 12 that sounded about how i wanted. so i think it may work to just do the double setup and then setup as i need. as far as pedals. i like how axis can be double or single, just throw in the torque bar. but im gona go with TRICK, that do the same thing,e xcept it literaly is 2 master pedals with a torque bar between them, that way i can just haul the bar around in my bag for in case. plus ive fallen in love with those Trick pedals. im gona let other people put their input and ideas into this. i want alot of info so i can best make my decision. i appreciate your help though

Sway

uhh dude i dont know about you but i got a 7 piece. Im a very indecisive person and i cant stay with one thing to long. So with that 7 peice 3 toms up 2 down im able to get a 4 piece 5 6 or whatever you can think of. Id say just get a seven piece and change it up. I think it makes you a better drummer to cause if all you can play is a 4 piece then you might be in a bind when you play someone elses kit. Its also interesting to see what you can get out of rearanging your kit.