New here... first post. Hi all! Here's my DW kit...

siberian

Sorry about the mess in the background. Still unpacking and organizing boxes and stuff in the basement since I just moved into the new house recently. :oops:

TamaSwngstr121

Wow man sick kit, i love the finish, especially of the snare drum.

By the way, i was looking into getting some EC2 Coateds, how are they (i see you have them on your kit)

McSleeps

I like the finish, I like how you have the two sections of rack set on either side of the kit, and how you have mounted the toms over the bass drum, cool set up!

siberian

Hey, thanks for the kind comments. To answer some of your questions...

the EC2 heads... Absolutely LOVE them. I like a tight, punchy tone, but not *too* muted. I was previously using coated G2's. I'd say the EC2's are similar in sound, but maybe slightly more punchy, if that makes any sense. Also note that these are the new DW VLT shells, which tend to also emphasize low frequencies, so when combined with the EC2 heads, that combo gives me exactly the sound I'm looking for.... best described as the fullness of maple, with the control of birch.

I used to use a full three section rack, with a cross bar accoss the middle. It worked fine, but I found a couple of problems with it. Playing in so many different places, you encounter varying stage and drum riser sizes from insanely large to ridiculously small. When I found myself playing on smaller stages/risers where the rack wouldn't fit, I found it to be a major nuisence to try and change the rack setup to pull everything in tighter. If given enough time to set up, it wasn't much of an issue, however in cases where several bands would be playing and you only had 10-15 minutes to set up and start playing... well... you get the idea. So by moving the two middle toms to a stand-alone stand, it gave me the ability to easily shift the two side racks any way I wanted, independently of the rest of the kit, without effecting everything else. Also, by doing this, it is easier to pre-assemble things back stage and move them on and off the stage faster.

And in case you are wondering why I didn't just use a traditional double tom stand... the reason is that they don't offer enough reach to get that 12" tom centered over teh kick drum where I like it. So I took a piece of rack piping and cut it down, then used a multi clamp to hang it from a cymbal boom stand, thus giving me a mini-rack section. Now I can slide the tom over where I wanted it.

As for the cost, well... I'd like to tell you what I paid but I really can't. Let's just say a friend of a friend of my wife's is very close friends with John Goode, one of the founders/co-owner of DW. I got the kit direct from the factory, custom built and painted to my specifications. To make a long story short, a "favor" was called in on my behalf and they suddenly became VERY affordable. I had another DW kit that was about 7 years old before this one. But this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity fell into my lap and I was able to get this new kit with all the new upgrades, exactly the way I wanted it. However as part of the deal, I kind-of had to promise I wouldn't tell anybody what I paid.

Alcyon

That spiderweb is awesome, and I gotta ask, where is that snare from? Can you buy those alone?

Probably buying EC2s as well. Nice kit!

siberian

Alcyon":3ng1d74k said:
That spiderweb is awesome, and I gotta ask, where is that snare from? Can you buy those alone?

It's a DW Edge snare, which I ordered with the kit. As far as the tribal/sawblade graphic with the #13... I designed it myself, sent them the sketch, and they painted it on for me.

Standard Edge snares are available thru any DW dealer. I don't know what it would cost for custom graphics though.

phoenix7289

siberian":35s8ckib said:
Alcyon":35s8ckib said:

It's a DW Edge snare, which I ordered with the kit. As far as the tribal/sawblade graphic with the #13... I designed it myself, sent them the sketch, and they painted it on for me.

Standard Edge snares are available thru any DW dealer. I don't know what it would cost for custom graphics though.
I want it! :O lol

Anarchytama

I really like your kit man... nice designs and I really like how you set it up... looks nice and the chair looks very comfy... :eek: check out mines i posted it recently...