New Heads

Crash

Hey I'm new here but I was hopeing that you guys could give me your opinions on some drum heads for my set cause I still have the factory heads on it. I was thinking about ec2 clears and maybe a EQ3 clear or superkick and a ST Dry for the snare. And also what are some good resonant heads to go with these? Thanks for the help.

KillaCam

it's gonna depend on what type of sound your looking... i like to hear the different tones from my drums, so i don't use anything heavier/thicker than g2's (clear or coated), and i don't put tape and moongels on my toms... the ec2's are a lil too dampend for me unless your kit is gonna be mic'd all the time, and most of the time the stock resonant head should be good enough, especially if you really learn how to tune your drums... As far as a new head for your kick goes, you can't go wrong with an EMAD... i've used them ever since they came out, and i've never been disappointed... i am about to try out an EMAD 2 and REMAD resonant head, so i'll let you know what i think of that in a week or so... evans also makes great snare drum heads, so play around with them and see which head gives you the sound you're lookin for... i use to think i could the same type of head on all my snares, but after checkin out different heads, i use a regular genera (14x5.5 black black panther laquerd maple), a power center coated reverse dot (13x6 black panther cherrywood) , and a genera dry (12x7 black panther cherry/maple)... these are all suggestions man, just remember what works for one drummer may not be your thing...

best of luck to you man..!

anavrinIV

ec2s will work fine if thats what you want. i play coated g2s and love them but ive heard so many rave reviews of the ec2s that i cant put them down. theyre great for a deeper tone that still retains some resonation. for resos, g1s are pretty much the evans standard but if youd like to open the drums up just a little more you could try out the genera glass resonant heads. for the bass, its all preference. ive been very pleased with the emad head but i think next i may have to try the sk2 based on everything ive heard about it. you really cant go wrong with either. i have an st dry on my snare (14x6 maple 8 ply spaun vented) and for its purpose its great...thick head holds up to the beating (hey, its not called a super tough for nothing), its dry and kills most of the overtones, and even at a higher tuning it helps my snare retain some of its body. great head and lasts me forever.

youve made good choices. the only thing you can really do is try them and either like them and get them again or not like them, learn from it, and get something different.

Crash

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to consider the emad it seems like a good head to go with. and I think the genera glass reso head that you mentioned would be a good idea, it seems like it would give me the sort of sound im looking for. I'm pretty sure that I'll go with the EC2 and the ST dry. and if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks again! :D

pow3rtr1p

My friend uses an EMAD, and his kick sounds great. I think it may be the tuning more than anything, but it still sounds sweet.

I use Performance II heads on my toms, and they sound AWESOME. Fat, wet tones, with plenty of ring while still remaining percussive. Also my Hi-Energy Snare head is sweet beyond all measure, and cracks like no other. I need to tune my kick some more, I think. It just doesn't shake my sternum like I want it to.

Depending on how fast you play, that will determine head selection and tuning, too. A big thundering kick is fine for slow rock stuff, but for metal or grindcore, you would want a tighter, more percussive head. It's all trial and error, but I think the tuning has almost as much effect as the head choice does.