New gretsch drums, how are they?

WaroftheBlossom

This is my first post here on the forum, loving it so far. So, I found this kit that I fell in love with online, the Gretsch Drums, Catalina Maple Fusion Shell Pack with Free 16 Floor Tom, I'll leave a link below. It's priced at $699 (for now). Thing is, I have very limited extra income; it'll take me two or months to save up that much them. If anyone can offer me advice or just tell me about this kit, I'd appreciate it, I don't want to save up for a kit that isn't that great, but it seems well worth it to me.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...-Shell-Pack-with-Free-16-Floor-Tom?sku=445670[/url]

zen_drummer

Dale":1zn0sgw4 said:
They use Keller shells now.
Hey Dale...

I'm pretty sure that currently only the USA Gretsch kits use Keller shells, I believe the Catalina maple series kits are imported shells from Korea,. (Unless they changed vendors in the last few months)

I have a Catalina birch kit in my practice space and it's a fine set of drums for the money. I looked at the Catalina Maple kits, and the hardware (tom mounts and floor tom legs) is ever so slightly lower in quality on the maple series.

To the best of my knowlege, the Catalina Birch drums and the Renown maple series are (or were) made in China and the Catalina Ash and Catalina Maple drums are made in Korea.

Dale

zen_drummer":1eo2nezv said:
Dale":1eo2nezv said:
They use Keller shells now.
Hey Dale...

I'm pretty sure that currently only the USA Gretsch kits use Keller shells, I believe the Catalina maple series kits are imported shells from Korea,. (Unless they changed vendors in the last few months)

I have a Catalina birch kit in my practice space and it's a fine set of drums for the money. I looked at the Catalina Maple kits, and the hardware (tom mounts and floor tom legs) is ever so slightly lower in quality on the maple series.

To the best of my knowlege, the Catalina Birch drums and the Renown maple series are (or were) made in China and the Catalina Ash and Catalina Maple drums are made in Korea.
You're right. The USA kits use Keller. I must have read the post with a blingfold on.

percussionmafia

I am not a fan myself. I put two of their kits together. one was ash and the other maple. The bearing edges were absolutely horrid on the ash kit there was about a .250" ridge like a stair step on the top edge of several of the drums. It's pretty hard to explain but it made the head not seat and it buzzed pretty bad. as far as the maple kit it was what I would expect from that price rance. nothing spectacular but nothing that really stuck out either. I think for that price range you would be better off looking into Taye. I have a pro x kit that I use every once in a while for practice and small gigs and the gretsch cant hang with it on any level. If you really are set on maple there are other routes like Pacific and mapex etc but for as much talk as you hear from Gretsch I was pretty let down. A buddy of mine has the catalina club kit and that thing is flat out awesome. I don't know what the deal is but I'm kind of afraid of not knowing what will be in the box when you open it.