New drummer here, tell me what this is.

Terry1013

Greetings one and all. 30 year keyboard player here just started playing drums. Last week I bought my Maypex M's. Great kit and they sound great out live. Now I've been told of a mount on item that I can buy to use instead of using rim shoots on my snare. I've looked and searched and can't really identify what it is. I want it to have the bright click used on slow stuff. Can someone here clue me in? By the way, this looks like a great forum with lots of good info with a lot of knowledgable people. :!:

TheYardstick

Terry1013":2njpuxza said:
Greetings one and all. 30 year keyboard player here just started playing drums. Last week I bought my Maypex M's. Great kit and they sound great out live. Now I've been told of a mount on item that I can buy to use instead of using rim shoots on my snare. I've looked and searched and can't really identify what it is. I want it to have the bright click used on slow stuff. Can someone here clue me in? By the way, this looks like a great forum with lots of good info with a lot of knowledgable people. :!:
It's sort of a wooden ring that you can attach to your rim to hit instead of your rim. It sounds orgasmic in bossa nova beats.

rufus4dagruv

Hmmm....I'm not 100% sure, but are you referring to a <a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-Russ-Miller-Groove-Wedge?sku=404107">Groove Wedge</a>? If this isn't it, I'm not sure what you are looking for. Do you know of any high profile drummers that use the item you're talking about? If so, post a pic, and I'm sure we'll figure out what it is.

Terry1013

rufus4dagruv":1pyf7pi6 said:
Hmmm....I'm not 100% sure, but are you referring to a <a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-Russ-Miller-Groove-Wedge?sku=404107">Groove Wedge</a>? If this isn't it, I'm not sure what you are looking for. Do you know of any high profile drummers that use the item you're talking about? If so, post a pic, and I'm sure we'll figure out what it is.
No pictures or help here. The way it was described to me is its like a plastic block that mounts onto snare rim to hit.

drastic

A plastic temple (no, not tempo!!) block. Made by LP or anybody else. Who's that Foo Fighters drummer?? I noticed him using one in a Live DVD, and it sounded awesome and looked cooler.

dammow

taylor hawkins uses a 'LP jam block' you can get different colours for different pitches, he uses a red one. i too have one and they are great. very loud and strong too!!!

screamkevin

What you're looking for is one of two things...

Either the Yamaha Russ Miller Groove Wedge, pictured here:

Or...

"Jam Blocks" made by Latin Percussion, pictured here:

The Groove Wedge attaches to your snare rim, the Jam Block attaches to a holder that you'll need to purchase seperately.

JasonS2C

Check em' both out. It all comes down to your personal taste in sound. the wedge sounds a little more "natural" but you'll get more cut and projection from the jam block. I have a Blue LP jam block that I use mounted on my hi hat and positioned next to my snare for exactly that reason.

screamkevin

The Groove Wedge sounds more like a Rim Click. (which is actually the correct term for cross-sticking on the rim. A Rim Shot is played striking the snare drum so that the tip of the stick hits the drumhead and the barrel of the stick hits the rim simultaneously, creating a much louder, more powerful tone than the snare drum alone.) The Jam Block is simply a plastic version of a woodblock, with a lot more cut and presence.