new drum set

TonyDrummer80

im trying to get a new drum set but i dont know which one to get....im not in a very expensive price range but if you could recommend something and send a picture of it thatd be cool

Dale

Geez, this is not easy. There are so many kits out there. Everyone is going to chime in with their preferences.

I think you should consider your budget, try to find a second hand pro kit by a major brand on eBay or in second hand stores and go with that. You may be surprised at the great deals you can get. I recently saw a Pearl kit with 6 toms, snare, kick drum, pedals stands and 3 Sabian cymbals for $400.00.

Dale

TonyDrummer80":2nwgjdpx said:
like $300-800
In that case you should have no trouble finding a second hand set by a leading manufacturer. There's loads of kits out there by Pearl, Ludwig etc.

My advice is: stay away from beginner level sets. They must only be replaced later on. Look into getting a maple Pearl kit a few years old, such as an MLX or a birch BLX. Or maybe a second hand Tama Superstar in maple. They were incredible drums.

NOTE. Not the new Superstars. These are beginner sets.

RogersDrummer

I'd say you should either go for a yamaha stage custom, or a gretsch catalina birch or maple.

ddrum also has nice drumsets for a lower price range. You can find all these on musicians friend.

Do you already have hardware? Cymbals? On musicians friend they sell hardware along with the drum shells. At guitar center, they just sell the shells themselves. So they're a little cheaper there. Keep that in mind.

cheers,

rob

E dog

go for the export from pearl. dont get a yamaha rydeen or debt series. those are really samll. if you get a amaha, get a stage custom

jasondrums

TonyDrummer80":2wo54hra said:
thanks rob...i checked out the catalina fusion shell pack...do you think thats a decent one?
I played that at guitar center and you know how the sets are usually not tuned there, but this one sounded so good, and it had the stock heads on it.

TonyDrummer80":2a7rganp said:
im trying to get a new drum set but i dont know which one to get....im not in a very expensive price range but if you could recommend something and send a picture of it thatd be cool
Hey you know I just recently bought a Green Fade into black PDP four piece kit.I love it. The tone and sound out of these drums are great and these drums are pretty small and lite. Perfect for a person who gigs alot or who does not have too much room to jam. I used Aquarian Studio X heads and Aquarian super kick II for the bass drum. I also just found out that the Evans EC2 are some great heads as well. I used them in the studio and they sound great!

writheindecay

dont get a pearl export, for any reason.

i play on a pacific by dw maple cx kit. these can be had used for around what youre looking to spend. imo theyre better than the pearl exports and the tama rockstar kits. 100% maple shells, great tom mount system, it stays out of the way unlike all the rims mounting systems. the pearl export iss mount sucks, it grabs onto the rim and pulls the toms out of tune. the optimounts are great, but pearl tom arms are a little limiting.

I was in the same boat you were 6 months ago, i wrote a aritist for advice, he sugested to me about the cs customs , by ludwig. They are all birch and i love these drums with a strong passion. You can find the old vistalights for a good deal also. They are acrylic and they are bad to the bone, or bad to the bon. Either way, i would sugest a all birch, or maple. I went with the upgraded vibra bands and they are the bomb. Thats the elite customs.
I think i saw they are selling them 799, but you can find them on the web for cheaper, print it out and go to a guitar center, they will match it, or in my case i try to get them to beat it!

Good luck with your purchase, i know it took me a week to figure out what i wanted.
Peace

Gaddabout

TonyDrummer80":3hw6vh0f said:
thanks rob...i checked out the catalina fusion shell pack...do you think thats a decent one?
Keep in mind a shell pack does not come with hardware (stands, pedals). That should have some bearing considering your price range. Replacing that stuff by itself, just with low-cost stuff, will probably add $200 to $300 to your kit before you buy cymbals.

You could probably find a used Pearl Export between $450 and $500. Some decent heads and a little bit of tuning and they sound just like their more expensive maple brothers. It's hard to find a better value for an entry-level kit. And I am no big fan of Pearl, otherwise.