new crash cymbal help

okay, im going insane, i had a sabian 16" AA Thin Crash and i guess i liked it, it cracked back around christmas, i dont rele remeber how it sounded, but i guess it sounded alright. so i save up to buy a new crash and i saw mike portnoy using a Sabian 18" AA Medium-Thin Crash and im like maybe ill like this one so i order it. hate it, i was so mad, but i got lucky and the owner of the local drum shop (drummer's alley) was able to get me store credit to Sabian. so now i have this store credit fo rlike 3 months and i finally order a Sabian 16" AAX Bright Crash (all 3 of those cymbals are in traditional finish). i pick it up today, absolutly hate it. im soo pissed off. i really doubt that the owner of the store will be able to return this cymbal, it was hard enough for him the first time. i might just have to save up and get a new one. does anyone have any suggestions on a good crash cymbal? im only 15 but im experienced and im pretty good (not to be cocky) i have all nice cymbals cept i just need a second crash cymbal. and im not really on a budget, but like over $250 is alot, i would like to stay under $200 but if it sounds good ill buy it.

my set up right now is:
Sabian 14" AA Rock Hats (traditional finish) (love em)
Sabian 18" AAX Metal Crash (Brilliant finish)
Zildjian 21" A Sweet Ride (Traditional finish)
Zildjian 18" Oriental China Trash (love it, but it cracked after 3 months, im gonna wait a little while to get it replaced off the warranty)

i desperatly need a cymbal. i play all types of music but mostly emo, indie, metal, hardcore, sceamo, etc.

zerodogma

Take a serious look at Saluda Cymbals. You can check out the actual "out-of-pocket" cost over at Drumgearonline.com

There are a lot of posts here about Saluda's (just do a search), and several drummers here (including me) that love the quality, sound, and customer service.

For anyone who wants to start flaming me for bringing up Saluda... get a freakin' life! I have played MANY cymbals from ALL the big cymbal companies, and each have great products. I would never put anyone down for choosing Zildjian over Sabian over Paiste over Whoever...

Good luck in your search!

Zero

Sway

Dude just go to your shop and start hitting stuff. I would just get like another thick cymbal that can take a beating cause thats what AAX Metal series are for. Like maybe a Z Custom. YOu can also go to Sabian.com and check out there soundcheck section. It lets you hear how symbals sound and stuff. You can pull up your aax crash and compare it to other crashes. That might be helpful. Goodluck though.

anavrinIV

pegleg":wd3ijr4n said:
ever play on an AAXplosion?
my 15 in. is probably my favorite cymbal
i have a 14" and an 18". i love them to death. mine have held up absolutely beautifully and they explode just like the name implies.

skitch

tama drums and bmx rule":3jitt3ho said:
okay, im going insane, i had a sabian 16" AA Thin Crash and i guess i liked it, it cracked back around christmas, i dont rele remeber how it sounded, but i guess it sounded alright. so i save up to buy a new crash and i saw mike portnoy using a Sabian 18" AA Medium-Thin Crash and im like maybe ill like this one so i order it. hate it, i was so mad, but i got lucky and the owner of the local drum shop (drummer's alley) was able to get me store credit to Sabian. so now i have this store credit fo rlike 3 months and i finally order a Sabian 16" AAX Bright Crash (all 3 of those cymbals are in traditional finish). i pick it up today, absolutly hate it. im soo pissed off. i really doubt that the owner of the store will be able to return this cymbal, it was hard enough for him the first time. i might just have to save up and get a new one. does anyone have any suggestions on a good crash cymbal? im only 15 but im experienced and im pretty good (not to be cocky) i have all nice cymbals cept i just need a second crash cymbal. and im not really on a budget, but like over $250 is alot, i would like to stay under $200 but if it sounds good ill buy it.

my set up right now is:
Sabian 14" AA Rock Hats (traditional finish) (love em)
Sabian 18" AAX Metal Crash (Brilliant finish)
Zildjian 21" A Sweet Ride (Traditional finish)
Zildjian 18" Oriental China Trash (love it, but it cracked after 3 months, im gonna wait a little while to get it replaced off the warranty)

i desperatly need a cymbal. i play all types of music but mostly emo, indie, metal, hardcore, sceamo, etc.
If you like the 16" Sabian thin crash, try another one!

Here are two reasons that you don't like what you got when you bought the new cymbal:

1. New weight and it is heavier so there will be a higher pitch, even slightly so.
  1. New to you size; a bigger cymbal- an 18" compared to a 16". The bigger cymbal will be slower to respond and slower to decay. It will be louder, though.

My suggestion would be that if you want a bigger crash, try a Sabian AA 18" Thin Crash. Try changing one thing at a time instead of several. And from the styles of music you specifically list as playing the most of, you probably don't want anything smaller than an 18" crash anyway. A 16" can not be played hard enough to overcome the volume of the other instruments. So what you will end up doing is breaking another 16" cymbal. And be certain that you are hitting it correctly; glancing blows in a circular motion and not straight into the cymbal or not the edge.

drummernick

well i use a 16 inch aax stage crash which is cracked because my music i need volume an yea it wasnt loud enuff... i also use a 18 inch stage crash thats good..and a 19 inch z custom rock crash very big you'd prob have alot of trouble getting use to the weight and size of that one i know i did