new at double bass pedal

ccrdrums

hey so im kinda new at this double bass pedal i have a vex and i like but anyone know a good way to get started? :?:

vargasdrumbeast

Start by doing simple beats on the double bass, work slow then build up your speed.

Try ankle weights if you want to work out your foot speed(this is what I did, it might not work for you)

Once you get down simple beats, try incorporating double bass playing into music without playing constant double bass, this sounds great in proggressive/experimental music.

Good Luck! :D

iplaydrums1

i completely agree, however i think using ankle weights as an early double bass player may be too much for you. thats something to get into when you already have down a good technique and want to get faster ( at least for me, you never know what would work for you)

play straight 16ths with your metronome . start slow at about 80 bpms or so and then move up through the meter

after that, play some dotted 16th note rhythms with a simple 4/4 groove over your hands.

if you want me to explain anything more please feel free to drop me an email or IM ill explain anything you need.

Mike T

A good way to practice is find a copy of the book "Stick control for the snare drummer" By George Lawrece Stone (it has been around since the 30's) there are a ton of exercises in there that focus on LLRRLRLR etc turn on your metranome 60 to 80 BPM is a good starting point and simply play as many excercises with your feet as you can before getting tired then slowly increase the BPM and you will soon pick it up and have independence with your feet..have fun..

Deanoatc

Try pretending you never played drums before, and learn rudiments with your feet. Start real slow, and get the hang of it. After a while you will get faster and will be able to play the same thing on snare and bass drum. Its what I did, but it doesen't work for everyone.

mattdoesrock

What I found with my double pedals is that at first, you cant do much. I couldnt keep a straight rhythm going, all i could play was triplets (like 2 kick hits, [1 with each foot] and then a snare) i then worked on trying to keep a straight continuous "dum dum dum dum dum" going, but couldnt, so I just kept on conentrating on the triplets, getting faster and faster with them.

Then came the relevation of the continuous "dum dum dum" i mentioned. I found it came natureurally, i wasnt even really trying to play like that, it kindve just happened :D All at the same i found I could play fairly fast with them as well like 16th's. This was after I'd had the pedals for around a year and a half (with 2 months of non-play). Now Ive had them for just over 2 years and i can keep a fast pace going for quite a while, and I can play instead of just triplets, with 2 kick beat and a snare, I can play 3 kick beats and then a snare - Sounds awesome. :lol:

I might mention that ive never had a drum lesson, so i dunno if this has impeded my double kick "skillz" but anyhow.

As for you, I just recommend that you dont try and acomplsih too much too soon. Take it easy and after to you feel competant with them, go for the speed. :D

Have fun man, I know i did / am :D

hey pete

My best friend and drum tutor told me just to chuck myself in the deep end, as long as you can hear what the drummer is doing so i learned freakshow by skid row. that worked! I got really frustrated at first but when i started to get it it gave me a boost to persevere. Also try Refuse/Resist by Sepultura, takes a while but god damn it looks good and sounds impressive!

youngdrummer

Well, definitely learn all of your rudiments with your feet. After that, do like Danny Carey, and learn snare drum solos with your feet. I think it would be wise to treat double bass playing just like you do with your hands. For most drummers, you don't start out playing grooves on the drums, you learn the hand technique. In my opinion, learning the technique behind the device should be done before you implement it into your grooves.

sp4zium

youngdrummer":26ty9v50 said:
Well, definitely learn all of your rudiments with your feet. After that, do like Danny Carey, and learn snare drum solos with your feet. I think it would be wise to treat double bass playing just like you do with your hands. For most drummers, you don't start out playing grooves on the drums, you learn the hand technique. In my opinion, learning the technique behind the device should be done before you implement it into your grooves.
you stole the words right out of my mouth :wink:

trezy

I started getting ready to play double bass by playing single bass for about a week with my opposite foot. When I got my pedals, I set 'em up and both feet were starting out at almost the same level. Learning a few rudiments and using ankle weights help a lot, too...

Piddywiffle

Don't worry about going out and buying books. Just make up a few exercises.

RRRRLLLL RRRLLL RRLL RLLR LLRR LLLRRR LLLLRRRR
LLLLRRRR LLLRRR LLRR LRRL RRLL RRRLLL RRRRLLLL It looks like a lot, but don't let it intimidate you. Good to father independance. Also you can check out Http://www.youtube.com and search for somthing like double bass drum techniques. It'll bring up some videos of different takes on speed drumming, technical drumming, heel-toe stuffs, ect. Even if it doesn't hit home for ya, its still cool to watch :D

Sprocket

Ive been sitting on a double bass set for roughly three years now, and all i did was mess around with my double pedal. at first all i could do was your normal two bass hits then snare, but after a couple of months i started doing 8th notes and gradually started getting the hang of 16th notes and now i sit back and play 16ths with drag triples and drag quads mixed in. what helped me alot is i wouls sit and listed to the metal band Lamb of God for hours on end, studying how Chris Adler would pull off some of the stuff he does. if you are into metal then check out some Lamb of God and look for videos. it helped me. :D

drummer619

everyone can tell you their technique, and it's your decision to choose one or many but whatever is comfortable for you, i like others just kinda messed around with them trial and error style but definetly technique then speed :idea:

Flatliner

this topic has been brought up on many different threads, look for those instead posting, not only will you prevent clutter, but you'll also often get answers quicker since you don't need to wait for a response.