Neil Pert Paragon Cymbals

Blast

Are they worth the money?. I might want to get that big set with the travel case and everything but i dont want to drop the change if its not worth it sound wise.

SINISTER

I've got the 14" hats and the 22" ride.......both sound outstanding!.......splashes and chinas are amazing, but the crashes are to heavy and way way to dark for my tastes

anavrinIV

im not a fan. if you want cymbals that stand out in the mix then these arent for you. these cymbals (except maybe splashes and chinas) just blend in with the mix in a very rush-like way. they sound good but theres nothing that makes them stand out more than anything imo.

SINISTER

anavrinIV":so4n546k said:
im not a fan. if you want cymbals that stand out in the mix then these arent for you. these cymbals (except maybe splashes and chinas) just blend in with the mix in a very rush-like way. they sound good but theres nothing that makes them stand out more than anything imo.
i could not disagree more..........the ride is TITS and the hats are completely penetrating and crisp

anavrinIV

SINISTER":2rwie9ng said:
anavrinIV":2rwie9ng said:
i could not disagree more..........the ride is TITS and the hats are completely penetrating and crisp
whenever ive played them recently i havent thought that they were all that great. you like them, fine. just because i dont doesnt mean im wrong. this guy asked for opinions and i told exactly what i thought. ive talked to a lot of people that agree with me...they just dont stand out. i dont care if you guys want them...buy them, play them. theyre not for me and i said that.

ajfranco645

paragons are really nice but i think the 19" china and the 10" splash are the only ones worth buying. i mean come on, its all about creating your own sound! if you like sabians, try some aax or hhx crashes, hh rides, and any hats equal or higher than the aa line

Gretz

i have the 14 inch hats
the 22 inch ride and the 19 inch china

They cut through fine.

i have AAX 18 and 19 inch stage crashes and the paragons mix great with them

I was worried about the ride cutting at first, but even in festival type situations our front of house guy says it's louder than the A Custom Ping Ride that i was using prior

love them

the only reason i didn't go with the crashes was like the poster above stated, they were a little bit too dark for my tastes

as far as creating your own sound that comment about not getting them for that reason is silly... everyone and their brother uses aax and hhx... you're closer to not having your own sound by doing that.

That's why i mixed and matched.

ajfranco645

well gretz, you still prove my point: by mixing and matching you're creating your own sound. plus i didnt say aax and hhx for every cymbal, just the crashes. and thats only my suggestion because they make nice crashes, but hey if you dont like them whatever. all im saying is i wouldn't buy all the same cymbals from one line.

devilspain

check it out for yourself! listen to the latest rush cd or watch latest dvd, or if your not a fan check out my chemical romance their drummer uses them.

3Dave3

Gretz":y9gq1hi6 said:
the only reason i didn't go with the crashes was like the poster above stated, they were a little bit too dark for my tastes.
I've heard this from quite a few people and I can see why they have this opinion. I own the complete set and they suit my tastes perfectly, don't get me wrong I own quite a variety of Sabian cymbals (AA, AAX, HH, HHX) but the Paragons filled a need I had. What people with the opinions like Gretz and others need to realize is that when Sabian was working on the sound of the new line they were also being built for a very hard hitter and that's the way I play too, the 20" crash could be used as very adept ride for someone who isn't a power player. The Paragon cymbals come more alive with amount of energy you're hitting with, just something to keep in mind.

Dave...

Johnny Cat

ajfranco645":1wlpqmnr said:
paragons are really nice but i think the 19" china and the 10" splash are the only ones worth buying. i mean come on, its all about creating your own sound! if you like sabians, try some aax or hhx crashes, hh rides, and any hats equal or higher than the aa line
Just because it has someone else's name on it, it does not mean they won't help create your own sound. If you were truly creating your own sound, go make your own cymbals, because every cymbal out there now is already used by someone else too.

SmellsLikeIan

They are a lot like old A Zildjians. That's what Neil wanted, but Sabian didn't make anything comparable at the time. If you want that sound, just buy old A Zildjians off Ebay and save yourself a grand. I've played Paragons, and I own and play old A Zildjians.....not much difference.

Johnny Cat

SmellsLikeIan":8ib1rg16 said:
They are a lot like old A Zildjians. That's what Neil wanted, but Sabian didn't make anything comparable at the time. If you want that sound, just buy old A Zildjians off Ebay and save yourself a grand. I've played Paragons, and I own and play old A Zildjians.....not much difference.
I've been wondering something about that though. I know Neil loved his old Zildjians and played them for years, but if that's what Neil wanted, why didn't he just keep playing old A Zildjians like the ones he had before? I haven't spoken to Neil personally of course, but I have met and spoken to Mark Love from Sabian when Neil's kit was on tour 2 years ago, and by all accounts given, I think there's a bit more to it than just wanting old A Zildjians.

Not trying to start an argument or anything. :p Just a thought I had.