Neil Peart ORRR Mike Portnoy

I Wear Emericas

Ah, dare I ask one of these questions. hahaha.

Well out of the two I've only heard Neil Peart. I just know alot of people swear by Mike Portnoy. So in your opinion, which drummer do you prefer? Not who's better, cause obviously they're both talented. Ha.

anavrinIV

i definately agree with pj but im a bigger fan of mike. both are amazing, technical, blazing prog rock drummers but mike is more fun to listen to. ive seen portnoy live (i will see peart in june) and he is incredibly energetic and a blast to watch as he looks like he is just doing what he loves. from what i hear peart is just robotic. mike portnoy has influenced me more than anyone else at this point and i just love listening to his work.

lowdrummer

Their both crazy good, and i have both of there dvd's, and from watching those dvds Mike Portnoy is way more fun.

RogersDrummer

Neil Pert by a mile. Not only have I found him and Rush more enjoyable to listen to, but I've always liked to hear what Neil has to say about the drums, and music in general.

I've never been able to stomach Dream Theater, nor Mike Portnoy's wretched drum tone.

MrBojengles

dreamtheaterfan1128":8ctvdqth said:
I Wear Emericas":8ctvdqth said:
Ah, dare I ask one of these questions. hahaha.

Well out of the two I've only heard Neil Peart. I just know alot of people swear by Mike Portnoy. So in your opinion, which drummer do you prefer? Not who's better, cause obviously they're both talented. Ha.
Go here to here what Mike does in crazy time signatures.
:lol: :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Wp7b_ESuQY
the style of that kit has been in my favorites since forever :eek:

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan yah
portnoy for the win.. hes not as old as neil :) evan though that doesnt matter.

Drummer93

Rush is so much better than Dream Theatre.....and Neil Peart is so much better than Mike Portnoy.....and I'm not just saying that because I think Neil Peart is the best drummer ever.....I've studied both for a long time. Neil's form and rythmic styles are greater than Portnoy's.....and Portnoy's solos are kind of generic...no offense to any of his fans out there.....

If you ask me, Neil's style is very basic. Neil cant do one middle section of a dream theater song, the time signature changes, and not that, but what Mike does in those time sigs is nothing but incredible, I mean Going to half time in the middle of a measure, pure genious. And Rush now Is horrible, Rush dont write like they used to. And Dream Theaters music is so advanced on every level, concept albums, Musicians, Song structure. Its all perfect.

anavrinIV

dreamtheaterfan1128":1qd0esml said:
If you ask me, Neil's style is very basic. Neil cant do one middle section of a dream theater song, the time signature changes, and not that, but what Mike does in those time sigs is nothing but incredible, I mean Going to half time in the middle of a measure, pure genious. And Rush now Is horrible, Rush dont write like they used to. And Dream Theaters music is so advanced on every level, concept albums, Musicians, Song structure. Its all perfect.
dude, peart has some of the most insanely technical grooves youve heard in rock drumming, and rush rarely uses 4/4 time. also, ive heard that rushs newest cd gets back to their roots. i do prefer mike but to say that peart is basic is one of the grossest things ive heard said.

rockon2112yyz

Both Rush and Dream Theater are my favorite bands but I read an interview with Mike Portnoy and he said that 1. Neil Peart is his biggest influence and wishes to be as good as him someday..and 2. Mike said he can not pull off the rudimentary stuff that Neil does.

Portnoy does show more skill though and is way faster on the double bass

RogersDrummer

anavrinIV":o09lx8mb said:
dreamtheaterfan1128":o09lx8mb said:
dude, peart has some of the most insanely technical grooves youve heard in rock drumming, and rush rarely uses 4/4 time. also, ive heard that rushs newest cd gets back to their roots. i do prefer mike but to say that peart is basic is one of the grossest things ive heard said.
I completely agree. Pert isn't basic by any means. Pert is to rock music as Buddy Rich was to Jazz. In my opinion of course. Portnoy sounds very generic, and he is a complete bore to listen to. Almost everything Portnoy has done, I've heard Simon Phillips play before. It's nothing new. Just like the rest of the Dream Theater band, they constantly try to show off and play as complicated as they can, at the cost of feeling and melody.

The only song they show off on is Ytse jam, you dont understand DT if you think they are just instrumental hell. Listen to the song Octavarium, that is the most beautiful song in the history of prog rock/metal. Not to mention what all Mike puts into the music. The ending to that song almost makes me cry. Here, look at this, this is all that Mike put into Octavarium.

http://dt.spatang.com/octavarium.php

oskargc99

oh please can we let it go already,my friends say im the biggest portnoy fan ever and DT and i absloutley love both,lets face it without peart there would not be a portnoy probably but who r we to judge on that by he way Simon Phillips is one my Mike Portnoy biggest influences also im sure we all have our drum idols and in some way or another we take ideas from one another,i mean i listen to everyone from Peart,portnoy Colaiuta to Jeff Porcaro and steve Gadd let it go and just enjoy music and drumming,as far as Dt trying to play as complicated as possible,why do we have to critizise when somebody has talent and can be very proffisient on the instrument,shouldnt that push everybody to get better if were gonna talk about show offs lets start with buddy rich yet everybody seems to embrace him rather than put him down,im not knocking mr rich by any means,like i said i listen to everyone i just preffer prog rock,metal and fusion,so let it go and just open your ears and be positive theres to much negativity in the world today

SONOR RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RogersDrummer

I've heard every single DT song there is out there, with the exception of maybe 2 or 3. I still say they sound like Judas Priest on crack. They're singer makes my stomach churn. I'm not saying Mike P. Isn't talented, he's just not that interesting. If sheer speed and technical ability is what you like, just listen to Virgil Donati.

I know I sound like a typical judgemental 15 year old right now, but I'm going nuts with all my drummer freinds praising Mike P. I just dont see what the big deal is.