need to hear how a 12" wuhan china sounds

dahlgrendrummer

Go listen to my bands song, Rejection Stench, the bridge after two verse chorus combos, I do some quick blastbeats with a Wuhan 12". It's a rightoues sounding cymbal!!

screamkevin

SKDrummer,

Every Wuhan sounds completely different. Dahlgren may have one that sounds like a Sabian China Splash, while someone else might have one that sounds like a cat getting killed. They don't sound the same at all.

I would suggest just going out and getting one. The 12" Wuhan retails for about 20 bucks. It's not a lot of money. Just do it, dude, no offense, but you are putting way too much thought and analysis on a 20 dollar cymbal. :wink:

dahlgrendrummer

I have one of the latest lot codes to come from Wuhan, apparently they put a lot of $$ into improving the cymbals, it's the best one I've ever bought. I've had it since August and it's still going strong, I used to crack them about once every 4 months. It's sounds a lot like a 12" Meinl Filter China, they have some samples of it on thier webpage.

scrubs

tragicmistakedrummer":xd0y0fos said:
skdrummer":xd0y0fos said:
ya, im gonna go for it
its actually 10$ at musiciansfriend
i wouldnt recemend ordering cymbals
While there are certainly subtle sonic differences between cymbals within the same line, and these differences may be more apparent with cheaper cymbals, I don't see why ordering online and/or buying used online is a bad idea. I've purchase virtually all my cymbals used from e-bay, and have a 12" wuhan china ordered from musician's friend. Haven't been disappointed with a purchase yet.

screamkevin

scrubs":8ethu0ht said:
While there are certainly subtle sonic differences between cymbals within the same line, and these differences may be more apparent with cheaper cymbals, I don't see why ordering online and/or buying used online is a bad idea. I've purchase virtually all my cymbals used from e-bay, and have a 12" wuhan china ordered from musician's friend. Haven't been disappointed with a purchase yet.
It's generally a bad idea to purchase cymbals online if you are after a very specific sonic palette. The differences in cymbals in the same line are more apparent than you believe. I've had in the past, for example, a pair of 17" Zildjian A Medium crashes. One sounded like it should, the other sounded like a Z Custom. The differences can be huge, and any drummer worth his/her salt that cares what he/she plays will purchase from a local store so they can hear what they are about to purchase.

Online sound samples are BS, that's just one cymbal. And that one cymbal can represent a whole line, but not "speak" for it.

Cheap cymbals, like Pearl cymbals or beginner packs, or Wuhan Chinas are okay to order online (in my opinon), since you're not dropping a lot of cash, and in the case of the Wuhan, you're not using it as much as a crash, ride, or hats.

But I never, ever, ever order cymbals online. I want to hear what I'm going to buy, to make sure that it matches or compliments what I have in cymbals already, my drums, my drumming style, and the music I'm currently playing.

But I did say in an earlier post that he should just go ahead and spend the $20 on the 12" Wuhan. It's only $20, for Christ's sake. :wink:

scrubs

screamkevin":3elret6z said:
scrubs":3elret6z said:
It's generally a bad idea to purchase cymbals online if you are after a very specific sonic palette. The differences in cymbals in the same line are more apparent than you believe. I've had in the past, for example, a pair of 17" Zildjian A Medium crashes. One sounded like it should, the other sounded like a Z Custom. The differences can be huge, and any drummer worth his/her salt that cares what he/she plays will purchase from a local store so they can hear what they are about to purchase.

Online sound samples are BS, that's just one cymbal. And that one cymbal can represent a whole line, but not "speak" for it.

Cheap cymbals, like Pearl cymbals or beginner packs, or Wuhan Chinas are okay to order online (in my opinon), since you're not dropping a lot of cash, and in the case of the Wuhan, you're not using it as much as a crash, ride, or hats.

But I never, ever, ever order cymbals online. I want to hear what I'm going to buy, to make sure that it matches or compliments what I have in cymbals already, my drums, my drumming style, and the music I'm currently playing.

But I did say in an earlier post that he should just go ahead and spend the $20 on the 12" Wuhan. It's only $20, for Christ's sake. :wink:
Perhaps you live in an area where a drum store would be likely to have several of each cymbal in stock, in which case, go for it. You're still paying retail, however. My GC & local guys don't even carry most of the cymbals I'm interested in, much less in multiples.

Online sound samples, while not perfect, give a reasonable approximation of the sound of a particular cymbal line. By buying used, you save about 30-50% on the cost of new and can resell at the same price (or more) if you don't like that particular cymbal's tone.

I agree about the Wuhan, though. Just buy it. If you don't like it, re-hammer it and make it something completely different. 8)

skdrummer

actually we only hav 2 drum stores near me, one mostly only has zildjian and sabian, and the other has very little of anything and their service sucks
so i mostly go to the first one, but in this case i hav to order online