need some snare help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palryo

ok well im hoping that you guys can give me alittle bit of information that can help me fix my snare problem. Ok and the issue is that everytime i hit any of my drums it makes the snares on my snare drum sizzle or whatever you call it. and id like to know if i just have all my drums tuned too high or if i can fix this problem by changing the tuning on the snare any. Help, please :)

lowdrummer

i dont realy think there is anything you can do about that. You could tighten the shit out of your snares but that doesnt sound good unless your Chad Sexton. But no matter what you do your still gonna get some sizzle.

Palryo

damn that sucks. ill tighten it up alittle bit more and see if that helps any cause its just at that teeny tiny point where it annoys me

Howepirate

Just loosin the tension in the lugs closest to the snare wires and tune the others remaining up a bit should help out a lot

drummert2k

Palryo":3103y2ln said:
ok well im hoping that you guys can give me alittle bit of information that can help me fix my snare problem. Ok and the issue is that everytime i hit any of my drums it makes the snares on my snare drum sizzle or whatever you call it. and id like to know if i just have all my drums tuned too high or if i can fix this problem by changing the tuning on the snare any. Help, please :)
in a lot of cases, the tuning you're using (a lot of times with the reso head) is tuned to close to the frequency of the snare. hence, when you hit a drum, the frequencies of that drum are picked up by the snare drum because they are in the same range making the heads vibrate creating the snare buzz. this happens a lot with the 12 and 13 inch toms. not so much the floor tom. but try turning your snares off and tapping the top and bottom heads of the snare and your toms and see if any of the pitches sound close. then take it from there.

B-RAD52

Howepirate":2bc153dn said:
Just loosin the tension in the lugs closest to the snare wires and tune the others remaining up a bit should help out a lot
if you do this, it lessens the snare response.

Rockula!

The lazy ass shortcut is to use a piece of electical tape on the bottom snare
Of course, this means that you cannot throw off the snare

Palryo

ill just go with drummert2k's advice since my main tom issues are my 12 and 13 inch ones. but thanks for all the advice

Palryo

haha i fixed the problem! ... sortof. my snares pretty tight now, but the only tom that is makin it sizzle is the 13 inch one and its not that bad anyway :D

lowdrummer

drummert2k":1qjn4bv7 said:
Palryo":1qjn4bv7 said:
in a lot of cases, the tuning you're using (a lot of times with the reso head) is tuned to close to the frequency of the snare. hence, when you hit a drum, the frequencies of that drum are picked up by the snare drum because they are in the same range making the heads vibrate creating the snare buzz. this happens a lot with the 12 and 13 inch toms. not so much the floor tom. but try turning your snares off and tapping the top and bottom heads of the snare and your toms and see if any of the pitches sound close. then take it from there.
ha! you learn somethng new every day! I didnt know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.