need some help with tom heads...

drummerman5000

so, its almost time to replace my drumheads. i have snare & bass heads picked out, but i need some help with tom selection. im looking for something that will give 12, 13, and 16 inch toms/floor toms a nice amount of sustain, but won't ring out like hell. any suggestions (i have clear emperors on tops and clear ambassadors on bottoms right now) thanx.

michiganice91

andybfrank":1hmj3t2w said:
Coated Evans G1 or coated Remo Ambassadors.
he just said he didnt want them to ring like hell...try aquarian performance 2 heads, or maybe remo powerstroke heads, or evans EC2

andybfrank

michiganice91":1ilc7nw5 said:
andybfrank":1ilc7nw5 said:
Coated Evans G1 or coated Remo Ambassadors.
he just said he didnt want them to ring like hell...try aquarian performance 2 heads, or maybe remo powerstroke heads, or evans EC2
Which is why I recommended coated. He also said he wanted a nice amount of sustain. Powerstrokes and similar will kill the sustain.

Shalaq

I'd go with 1-ply heads- tune them to get the most sustain after-ring etc, then muffle them gently to your liking (not with e-rings!). That way you'll get a full sound at every volume level with the amount of sustain you like.

RHTHMIC ASSAULT

What kind of wood? Maple is more resonant and warm-EC2's or Coated Studio x's. But those heads will choke birch. Great attack and low end, but birch has quick sustain already-Coated EC1's or clear emperors. Low end kit, cheap wood? Probably bright and ringy by nature-Coated emperors, clear pinstripes, Clear Ec's