NEED OPINION!!! DOUBLE BASS

Double Bass Drums, or Double Bass Pedal?

• 2 DRUMS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DOUBLE BASS PEDAL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cgaffka

Hey everyone.
heres what I got.
Currently, I have a Pearl Export Series drum kit.
I have a cheap double bass pedal that i bought a while back just to try double bass to see if i liked it.
Well now i am ready to spend some more money and upgrade.
I have 2 options...
both options are similar in price, maybe $100 difference.
I can buy an Iron Cobra Pedal....

or

a whole separate bass drum.

The thing with the second bass drum, i will have to also buy heads, and its going to be kinda hard to tune together..
also space and setup time and all that is more with the whole second drum...

What would you recommend?

Brother_Bong

Personally I prefer 2 separate bass drums. But, space, time, tuning, etc. are all valid points to consider. I have a badly damaged left foot, so I need all of the freedom I can have for it. So the slave pedal was harder for me to use.

cgaffka

Also, I forgot to mention..
My export series is an older series of the exports..
finding the same bass drum to match what i have now is basically impossible.
Ive looked everywhere and Guitar Center and a few other shops say
its not possible.. I can get something some what close... but no where near
exact...

just another thing to consider.

Brother_Bong

One of my bass drums is a Sonor, and the other a Mapex. Impossible to tune them exact. But on the other hand, it gives them a unique definition that works rather well. I also know of many players that intentionally tune their basses different.

dwtoast72

So I voted for the pedal... especially considering you said you'd get a cobra....
But really, it all comes down to what YOU want to spend and your dependency on the use of double kick-licks.... If it's constant part of each tune in your set(s) at any given show, go for the second kick...atleast your money would def. not be wasted, but put to good use...

cableman26

If your going to be gigging with this kit, I'd say get the pedal. It's just less of a hassel. But it all comes down to personal prefrence. It is nice to have two bass drums to tune different and give another voice to your kit, but you just have to weigh the pros and cons.

writheindecay

the kits just look so sick with 2 bass drums. ive got a double bass set, broke a head and switched to using my pedal as a double(ive got a trick, and it has a conversion piece) and i think i like it better.

Potatoe Snack

two bass drums look awesome but I say the double pedal. If you're planning on playing a lot of shows, then two bass drums will become a real hassle.

sefalik

I personally would choose a second bass drum, but not the same size. If you have a 22" now, I'd get a 20" bass. Two different bass drums sound aweseome together. However, if you want them to both sound the same or you plan on gigging, get the double pedal.

Edit: here's a video to kind of give you an idea what two different bass drums sound like, if you were to go down that route. At 2:26, I'm doing 8th notes on the 20" bass drum, and then right after that I play the same speed using the 20" and 22" bass drum alternating.

racefan33

Unless you have a roadie loading and moving your drums it's retarded to carry around a second bass drum no matter how good it looks.

dwtoast72

if you're gonna gig to kicks... you just need to be preped when it comes to load up onto a stage...time management, is all

kcin616

personally, i'd go with two bass drums. but i'm biased, cuz i already have two kicks. lol. but i think it is overall, better. with a double pedal i find, that the left pedal doesnt kick back as well as the right pedal. and to me it has more resistance, causing me to use more of my leg. now if you have two seperate pedals (like iron cobras for example), i find it to be much easier on your legs. also, with a dbl. pedal, you wont get as great of a sound coming out of the left pedal. but, it will time to perfect tuning them the same, and set up time will take a little while longer. idk, tough call, but i already have my problem solved. hehe

xdoseonex

this thread just de me want to get a second bass drum for my ecx kit. if you gonna gig i'd get a double pedal. i use a double pedal onmy gretsch kit. setting up for me is already a pain in the ass theres no way i'd carry around a another bassdrum. My pearl kit however, stays where it is

Empyrean Drums

kcin616":1tkuwlq2 said:
personally, i'd go with two bass drums. but i'm biased, cuz i already have two kicks. lol. but i think it is overall, better. with a double pedal i find, that the left pedal doesnt kick back as well as the right pedal. and to me it has more resistance, causing me to use more of my leg. now if you have two seperate pedals (like iron cobras for example), i find it to be much easier on your legs. also, with a dbl. pedal, you wont get as great of a sound coming out of the left pedal. but, it will time to perfect tuning them the same, and set up time will take a little while longer. idk, tough call, but i already have my problem solved. hehe
I've never liked dbl pedals either. Nothing holds the slave pedal in place and the pedals never have the same action unless you have them perfectly parralel.