need help with right hand, right foot

jbreshears

Both my right and and my right foot want to play the same beat all the time, if i'm doing a 8th on the hi hat and i try to play a diffrent groove on the bass, my right hand wants to follow. Coud someone please help...Maybe some practice tips to show me how i could practice to change this. :x :x :x

Thanks

vargasdrumbeast

Take your metronome, and start playing different beats where you just forget about your right hand, just play a beat on the hi-hat and forget about it

Keep your focus on the bass drum, just practice doing that for hours until you can play any bass drum grooves over a hi-hat beat

Flatliner

First off how long have you been playing as that would influence what I reccommend for you. Also do you read music or take lessons?

jbreshears

Flatliner":2nhx8gvf said:
First off how long have you been playing as that would influence what I reccommend for you. Also do you read music or take lessons?
I can read a little music, i've been playing for about 2 years nd i don't take lessons. The only music i can really read is a basic patern ride, hi hat, snare, crash, and kick. I've been trying to practice more everyday, i'm just getting stuck on the hi hat and kick right now.

Flatliner

Hmm... okay, I'm not sure exactly what lvl you are at, but since you can read those basic patterns I'll give you a list of a few books of various skill levels that should help you with this problem.

1) A Funky Primer for The Rock Drummer by Charles Dowd- This book is a great starting place, it has the most basic beats in first half and the last half of the book has beats that focus on geting you hands and feet able to move independently from the basic 8th-note hi-hat pattern.

2) Advanced Funk Studies by Rick Latham- This contains a lot of funk, if its up to your skill level it will really help you get used to what you want to do.

3) Syncopation by Ted Reed or Advance Techniques for the modern drummer by Jim Chapin- These are a little advanced but after completion will yield solid four-way independance

So these a few suggestions from me, hope everything goes well.