Need help with hand foot coordination.....

zackobie

I am a newbie to the drum world and need some help on my hand and foot coordination. The problem I'm having comes into play when I'm trying to learn a song that requires two bass drum beats on the third note while playing straight notes on the hi-hat. Taking a basic rock beat with straight 4/4 count on the hi-hat, snare on two and four and bass on one and three. In trying to get the double bass beat on the third note my hand playing the hi-hat wants to take over and follow the tap of my foot on the pedal causing a skip on my hi-hat. Has anyone else started out with this problem, and if so how did you fix it? Any suggestions, excercises or tips would be appreciated........................thanks

llllarry

Coordination and syncopation are always going to trip you up. They make drumming harder than it looks to the eye. The best advice I can give you is to practice these tricky beats, and take it slowly. Maybe start out with your hi-hats, then snare, and finally work in the bass.

Lancelot Frosty

I'm with Larry all the way.
What you can do is keep up the basic 4/4 beat and play it over and over and over again.
Switch the hat patterns to 8ths, 16ths, and maybe even quarter notes.
Keep that sort of stuff up until you are very comfortable with it.
Won't take too long.
Then try out other beats.
Don't forget to keep drumming.
Keep us posted, aight? :D

Oh, and, you better practice your rudiments.
Ex:
Where R is right and L is left:
R L RR L R LL.
Ask around.
The guys in the forum know where to get the complete list of rudiments. :)

SGarrett

You can get all of the rudiments with audio samples at VicFirth.com, in the Education Center.

Sounds like you might be trying to play a 4 or 2 over 3 pattern? Where your right hand is playing 8th or 16th notes and your foot/feet are playing triplets? If so, I honestly suggest you put that on the back burner for a while until you get everything else up a little bit more.

spacemanspiff

zackobie, just wanted to let you know you're not the only newbie with this problem. I have the same issue and I'm constantly working on it.

Lancelot Frosty

Hey there Spacemanspiff.
Welcome to the forum.
Zackobie, he's right.
It's something you gotta get past when you start.
So keep practicing. :)

FiestyRedDrummEr

Rudiments! learn them love them, live them, eat them, breathe them, BE them. Get used to it. everything you do will be based off your rudiments.

Jesus

I wouldn't suggest starting off with double bass. You should learn single bass first to gain individuality (The ability to move each limb by itself), and then move to double bass when you can keep time with both hands while doing 8th-16th-32nd notes with your double bass pedal.
When I first started off almost two years ago, I had that problem too.

For your double bass, all I can suggest is to practice everything you do with your hands with your feet. It takes time, and it's pretty hard. I don't know what technique you use, but once you can do paradiddles with your feet, it's a sign that you're gaining awsome control.

Kados

It will feel akward at first, for awhile depending on how hard/often you practice.

The best advice I can give you is to practice playing slowly, practice different rhythmes combining hands and feet and practice them for at least a couple minutes before switching to a different exercise.

peripsy

hello my friend !!! i have for you a very nice exersise .It is dificult but it help me a lot.The basic idea is to put down four rudiments
let's begin RLRRLRLL
RLLRLRRL
RRLRLLRL
RLRLLRLL
REMEMBER you count in sixteenth notes 1 e + da 2 e + da 3 e + da 4 e + da
and your snare is on 2 + 4
It's a difficult exersise to master but it's very basic
also if you want to be 100% accurate with this try to make your single strokes with down hit and your double strokes with angle-down.To make this exersise to sound different this is basic.I try also all hits with angle & balistic but it's not sound the same
EXAMPLE WITH ANGLE-DOWN
R L R R L R L L
D D A D D D A D
tHE SECOND HIT FROM THE DOUBLES MUST BE STRONGER THAT'S WHY WE USE ANGLE DOWN IT'S EASIER