need guidance

gracey-girly

I do not play anything actually :? , I was wondering if I could get some advice. How young is too young to start a child on the drums? My son is about to turn 5 and I think I might buy him a set of drums. Also what are the basics he would need, and brands etc. :?:

Rockula!

No such thing as too young
You can get him anything from a set of bongos to an entire mini drumkit
There are TONS of alternatives
There is a great site called musiciansfriend.com that has the biggest selection and lowest prices
We use them as a guide here at the store

scrubs

I don't think any age is too young, as long as the child expresses interest and has some basic coordination (4-5 should be fine). It might be best to get him a snare drum first and some lessons. If he takes to it, you might consider a kit after a year or two. Since he's still growing, he might have trouble with a full size kit. There are some child-size kits by the major manufacturers, but I really don't know which ones are any good. Something like the Gretsch Catalina Club might be a thought, too, as it is smaller than a regular kit.

Good for you for getting your son into music. Invest in some hearing protection, for him and yourself -- you'll thank me later. 8)

gracey-girly

thanks for the suggestions! He is interested in music, and I've noticed he has good coordination and rythym, I always knew I would incourage my boys (the oldest is 6) to play instruments, I just thought of violin and then guitar, but more and more I've noticed my youngest might be better suited for drums :D

Gaddabout

I think Pearl makes a complete child's set with a 16" bass drum and tunable toms/snare, and I saw it on musiciansfriend.com for ~$250. The cymbals suck. If you have $500, the Manu Katche Hip Gig Junior kit is a better value, but you'd have to spring for more cash for cymbals. However, the Yamaha hip gig is something that could be played well into the teens.

fuzionman

the younger the better. i started at 18, and have been able to develop fairly well...however, I wish I had started at 7 or 8. Let him have fun with it...and start him on rudiments.

Oh man, start em out on the skins NOW!! His young mind will absorb everything like a sponge and he'll take right to it. I started when I was four and picked it up. Here I am 19, goin on 20, and I've already got 15 yrs experience under my belt and can hang with the pros and have basically reached a pro level and sound like a pro (so I've been told.)

screamkevin

I'll be 38 in March, and started playing when I turned 4. It's been a strange, fun, and wonderful ride that I wouldn't trade for the world.