Need a new set

skdrummer

ya was gonna get a pearl, but theyre too expensive for my price range
well i wanted a rlly good kit that will last me a long time, because my band is going to start recording and getting serious gigs, so i wanted to get a professional set

SGarrett

skdrummer":33o9cmmf said:
ya was gonna get a pearl, but theyre too expensive for my price range
well i wanted a rlly good kit that will last me a long time, because my band is going to start recording and getting serious gigs, so i wanted to get a professional set
Cheap and professional are two words that don't go together. Professional level kits are $2k+. You're looking at entry and intermediate level kits for your price range. Find the kit that you like best in your price range.

skdrummer

i didnt mean professional level kit, i meant like which would last me longer and sound better, like out of the 2 i said
i was looking at the gretsch one, but i also need some hardware because mine right now i am having troubles with and i thought it would be cheaper to get a 5 piece complete with an add on tom

SGarrett

So you need some hardware, do you need to step up on your cymbals too? What kind of kit are you playing now?

If your kit is playable this is what I'd do. Get another tom that matches your kit as close as possible, get new heads, and then get your hardware and cymbals squared away. Then you can start looking at and saving for a new kit. Drums are drums, dude. To a very large extent the tone you get is in the head selection, tuning, and way you play. Kits are very comparable across all levels up to the professional level. Hardware is very important though and your cymbals are one of your personal voices along with your tuning, playing, and snare sound.

skdrummer

the reason i want a new kit is because mine is basically a large kid drum set, its rhythm art, i need hardware because i was looking at getting 2 new crashes and secondary hi hats
my band is getting bigger and bigger and i felt like i needed an actual brand set instead of a kid one
plus my toms are way to deep and i cant make them fit with my 22" bass drum
their 12 x 11 and 13 x 12 and i need them to be at least 9" deep at the most, i also wont be able to squeeze in another tom unless i change them to 8, 10, and 12 inches

SGarrett

Well, that's your choice. Personally, I feel that drums are drums and head selection and tuning are the most important factor. Cymbals and hardware, on the other hand, aren't tunable. Don't worry about what the badge of something says. Worry about how it sounds. You can spend that $500-600 on a decent cymbal set and save the second hi-hat for later.

rufus4dagruv

skdrummer":2620hrbv said:
my band is getting bigger and bigger and i felt like i needed an actual brand set instead of a kid one
Are you getting paying gigs? If so, save every penny from every gig. You'd be amazed at how quickly that $$$ adds up. If not, just remember; Name brand drum companies may some less than decent drums as well.

Personally, I've gotta back up what SGarrett says in regards to upgrading cymbals and hardware first. But, if you HAVE to get new drums, make sure you check out Craigslist and Ebay. You could get a nice kit piece by piece on Ebay and slowly if you want to. You have a lot of options, so make sure to do your research and good luck.

skdrummer

were just starting to get paid some serious cash (for 14 year olds)
we get $80 a gig, and were savin that for a speaker system

another option i thought of is if i got a normal 5 piece set and got a special tom/snare
how do timbales sound? any other special toms? (besides rototoms)

skdrummer

were just starting to get paid some serious cash (for 14 year olds)
we get $80 a gig, and were savin that for a speaker system

another option i thought of is if i got a normal 5 piece set and got a special tom/snare
how do timbales sound? any other special toms? (besides rototoms)