Need a change in cymbals

DrumsPlus

This could be a fun one.

I am changing out all of my cymbals. I am going to get a set of HH, Ride, at least 2 crashes, 10 & 12 inch splash, and one China.

I am looking for advise on what would be the best bang for the buck. I play mostly Rock, but have been asked a lot lately to fill in on country gigs. I want to find cymbals that are musical but also have a large range.

Most of the stuff I've been looking at lately are Meinl MB10, and MB20's. I've also looked at the Byzance line. I was mostly looking at Meinl because they are different. I played Zildjains for years and now have a Sabian set up. I do have to watch my budget though.

Any suggestions?

SGarrett

Well, sounds like you should look into Saluda. You may have noticed a topic or two about them. :D

Check out Saluda.com and DrumGearOnline.com for prices.

Howepirate

SGarrett":26sqrnh5 said:
Well, sounds like you should look into Saluda. You may have noticed a topic or two about them. :D

Check out Saluda.com and DrumGearOnline.com for prices.
I agree, not to mention, instead of just changing a brand, you'd be finding a different and unique sound, so long as you contact Jamie and tell him what you want.

johnc2554

I am in the same predicament as you and I have played all three major manufacturers and I am leaning towards Meinls myself. I have looked at all cymbals and please don't be pressured into Saludas like a lot of people have. Yes they are cheaper but like everything, you get what you pay for. I am also looking at going back to Paiste but they are expensive.

SGarrett

johnc2554":1t2vu6jl said:
I am in the same predicament as you and I have played all three major manufacturers and I am leaning towards Meinls myself. I have looked at all cymbals and please don't be pressured into Saludas like a lot of people have. Yes they are cheaper but like everything, you get what you pay for. I am also looking at going back to Paiste but they are expensive.
It's not about being pressured, it's about having an open mind. :)

I played Zildjian for 14 years and have been playing Sabian for about five years. I'm really looking forward to trying a Saluda Diamond series crash or two.

SGarrett

michiganice91":3gwf6den said:
Paistes are definitely the best..but maybe not for your wallet. Id go with 2002's.
Again, that's a subjective opinion not a fact. They're definitely the best to you, but I think they have way too much high end in their sound and so do most other people who don't like them. I've never had a professional soundman or engineer tell me anything other than "your cymbal selection sound beautiful" and I play what you consider to be the worst cymbal maker.

screamkevin

johnc2554":ah1wauku said:
John,

Expensive doesn't always mean "better". I played Zildjian for 32 years before changing to Saluda. I'll put my cymbals up against anyone's setup, anywhere, anytime. Saludas are just as good as Meinl, Sabian, Zildjian, or Paiste, and at a much lower cost. You're entitled to your opinion, but don't make gross generalizations about something you know nothing about.

DrumsPlus

I've look at them in the past and talked to Jamie a few times. I have to say that I am worried about quality. This is the only forum I have ever really seen them brought up and even though I want to try them, I've been burnt recently on a few of my trial runs with companies. I guess I am a little gun shy.

For the record though. I've had 2 Zildjian Z Customs that I couldn't stand this last year. A Paiste Signature that I loved but cracked, and a Rude that I hated. So it's not from a lack of trying. I do have an Meinl MB 20 crash that rocks but is just to loud for lot of things.

michiganice91

screamkevin":vvi0j8ki said:
johnc2554":vvi0j8ki said:
John,

Expensive doesn't always mean "better". I played Zildjian for 32 years before changing to Saluda. I'll put my cymbals up against anyone's setup, anywhere, anytime. Saludas are just as good as Meinl, Sabian, Zildjian, or Paiste, and at a much lower cost. You're entitled to your opinion, but don't make gross generalizations about something you know nothing about.
Ill take my Paiste's against your saluda's..we could do like a pepsi challenge type thing

by the way which saluda's would be comparable (assuming they could be) to Paiste Traditional's. IDK if you've heard the sound files on the trad's..but theyre pretty amazing.

Hack_and_Slash

DrumsPlus":2yv4r7ck said:
I've look at them in the past and talked to Jamie a few times. I have to say that I am worried about quality. This is the only forum I have ever really seen them brought up and even though I want to try them, I've been burnt recently on a few of my trial runs with companies. I guess I am a little gun shy.

For the record though. I've had 2 Zildjian Z Customs that I couldn't stand this last year. A Paiste Signature that I loved but cracked, and a Rude that I hated. So it's not from a lack of trying. I do have an Meinl MB 20 crash that rocks but is just to loud for lot of things.
I would check out the MB10 series on meinlcymbals.com. The sound clips are pretty accurate. If the MB10's seem too loud, check out the byzance series. They're quieter and not as bright. MB10 seems to be what you're looking for though. They're very versatile for almost anything but jazz.

DrumsPlus

Hack_and_Slash":1nzg8py0 said:
DrumsPlus":1nzg8py0 said:

I would check out the MB10 series on meinlcymbals.com. The sound clips are pretty accurate. If the MB10's seem too loud, check out the byzance series. They're quieter and not as bright. MB10 seems to be what you're looking for though. They're very versatile for almost anything but jazz.
The MB10 Rock pack was something I was looking at. I was told by a friend of mine who is a Meinl Endorser that the MB10's are only used by Jason Bittner because they are too bright. I really liked my Zildjian A custom projections, and I thought they would be like those, but I'm just not sure.

SGarrett

DrumsPlus":2l8ycxvf said:

Once bitten twice shy. I can certainly understand that. However, how are you going to gain experience without taking a risk? Just make sure you do the proper homework and don't just listen to people's personal opinions on what they like. Our cymbals, along with our head selection, tuning choices, and touch are our personal voices on the instrument. Your friends, family, and fans should be able to pick your playing out on a recording without you having to tell them.

michiganice91":2l8ycxvf said:
screamkevin":2l8ycxvf said:
johnc2554":2l8ycxvf said:
John,

Ill take my Paiste's against your saluda's..we could do like a pepsi challenge type thing

by the way which saluda's would be comparable (assuming they could be) to Paiste Traditional's. IDK if you've heard the sound files on the trad's..but theyre pretty amazing.
Hahaha. Dude, you're missing the point. Your personal taste is not everyone's personal taste. There's no such thing as "the best cymbal" and there never will be. If there was, we'd all be playing the same setup, with the same drums, same heads, same tuning, and same sticks. Boy, wouldn't be just jim dandy? I think not.

johnc2554

I think it's hilarious that some people on here get so pissy when you say you don't like Saludas. Everyone has their own opinion but since I have joined this forum I have seen nothing but the promotion of Saluda. That is fine, but that is your opinion. When someone like Michiganice says he likes Paiste, that is his opinion. Cymbal choice is all subjective and when someone asks for opinions that is what they want, OPINIONS. They don't want to see an opinion and then someone else writing a thread bashing that opinion, it gives that person no answers.

If Saludas are so great can someone send me a free one to try out and if I like it I will spend $1500 on all new cymbals from them, if I don't like it, I will send it back to you with $50 for your trouble. That is not a joke! I need new cymbals to and if I am going to spend a lot of money I need to try the cymbals out.

NG1284

johnc2554":3pvx0avi said:
I think it's hilarious that some people on here get so pissy when you say you don't like Saludas. Everyone has their own opinion but since I have joined this forum I have seen nothing but the promotion of Saluda. That is fine, but that is your opinion. When someone like Michiganice says he likes Paiste, that is his opinion. Cymbal choice is all subjective and when someone asks for opinions that is what they want, OPINIONS. They don't want to see an opinion and then someone else writing a thread bashing that opinion, it gives that person no answers.
Well, no shit, everyone has opinions - but that doesn't mean you can be an idiot with them.

Let's look at who started the "pissy"-ness.
A). michiganice, who's already proven himself to be overly opinionated
B). Someone said "you get what you pay for", when they'd never even tried the cymbals.

Not to mention, the only one so far who's directly compared cymbals is michigan, the Paiste guy. And even then, SGarret is the one telling michigan that his Paiste affinity is an OPINION. Your post is aimed at the wrong people, buddy.

michiganice91

NG1284":1k2xme3w said:
johnc2554":1k2xme3w said:
Well, no shit, everyone has opinions - but that doesn't mean you can be an idiot with them.

B). Someone said "you get what you pay for", when they'd never even tried the cymbals.

Not to mention, the only one so far who's directly compared cymbals is michigan, the Paiste guy. And even then, SGarret is the one telling michigan that his Paiste affinity is an OPINION. Your post is aimed at the wrong people, buddy.
Not one person has given me one explanation as to why I cant walk into a store, and test out a saluda cymbal. To me its foolish to spend money on cymbals you've never even heard. When you buy saluda..your going off of what people told you, but when you buy paiste, your going off of yourself.

NG1284

michiganice91":t32l34fa said:
NG1284":t32l34fa said:
johnc2554":t32l34fa said:

Not one person has given me one explanation as to why I cant walk into a store, and test out a saluda cymbal. To me its foolish to spend money on cymbals you've never even heard. When you buy saluda..your going off of what people told you, but when you buy paiste, your going off of yourself.
Because the store doesn't carry Saludas.

And that is the one downside to Saluda, trying them out is dificult. However, it's a bit remedied by the fact that you can customize them to sound how you want.

SGarrett

johnc2554":hffzezkv said:

If Saludas are so great can someone send me a free one to try out and if I like it I will spend $1500 on all new cymbals from them, if I don't like it, I will send it back to you with $50 for your trouble. That is not a joke! I need new cymbals to and if I am going to spend a lot of money I need to try the cymbals out.
Opinions are great and highly encouraged. Misstated "facts" are never encouraged. It's not a fact that Paiste is the best cymbal manufacturer, it's a personal opinion and personal opinions should never be stated as facts. :)

Oh, and you'd probably have better luck if you 1) posted something with your playing and 2) offered to pay a 100% deposit, to be refunded when the cymbal is returned, along with all shipping for any and all cymbals you "borrow". That way, the prospective lender knows that you aren't a basher and is covered in case of breakage on your part.

michiganice91":hffzezkv said:
The shop I worked in had one of the largest cymbal selections in California, and I say that often. Even we didn't carry the small independent cymbal companies. Why? Because they weren't viable enough in the market place yet. They would take up space for products that moved...much like the Paistes. I have yet to see one person say that Istanbul cymbals are crap because you can't walk into any drum shop and try them out. Intelligent people find the products they're curious about instead of being afraid of them. Go to TimeKeep's MySpace and listen to what his cymbals sound like. Find out the Saluda endorsers to do the same thing with. Find someone who lives near you who has them. I've never in my life met so many drummers who are afraid to try something new. Most of the ones I met would buy a $100 cymbal just out of curiosity and if they didn't like it they'd either resell it or find a use for it. You can never have too many cymbals or snare drums because each one is an individual instrument.

My mom raised me with one very simple philosophy when it comes to new things. You can't say you don't like something until you've actually tried it. You have to be open-minded about things.

Hack_and_Slash

DrumsPlus":2m42u2qm said:
Hack_and_Slash":2m42u2qm said:
DrumsPlus":2m42u2qm said:

The MB10 Rock pack was something I was looking at. I was told by a friend of mine who is a Meinl Endorser that the MB10's are only used by Jason Bittner because they are too bright. I really liked my Zildjian A custom projections, and I thought they would be like those, but I'm just not sure.
Yeah they're extremely bright compared to A Customs. All I can tell you is to check out all of them at a store or online. They're all high end cymbals except for the MCS and HCS series.