Mysterious Ride Sound Advice

drummerjeff88

Hey everyone. I need some advice.

My High School's jazz band is playing Dave Barduhn's arrangement of "Embraceable You" by the Gershwin brothers. This arrangement starts with a long cymbal roll and the chart has the description "Mallets on sus. cym - soft and mysterious."

So I try, but my band teacher keeps telling me that what I'm playing doesn't sound mysterious. However, he refuses to clarify. His opinion is that I need to figure it out myself and he's sick of being creative for everyone in the jazz band. Of course he's right about that, but I still have no idea how to make the sound more mysterious.

So, I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on how to get a more "mysterious" sound from the ride. Thanks.

Dale

drummerjeff88":3vhy8puk said:

My High School's jazz band is playing Dave Barduhn's arrangement of "Embraceable You" by the Gershwin brothers. This arrangement starts with a long cymbal roll and the chart has the description "Mallets on sus. cym - soft and mysterious."

So I try, but my band teacher keeps telling me that what I'm playing doesn't sound mysterious. However, he refuses to clarify. His opinion is that I need to figure it out myself and he's sick of being creative for everyone in the jazz band. Of course he's right about that, but I still have no idea how to make the sound more mysterious.

So, I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on how to get a more "mysterious" sound from the ride. Thanks.
Have you checked out the original recording?

drummerjeff88

Dale":yqoeo5jn said:
drummerjeff88":yqoeo5jn said:

Have you checked out the original recording?
I tried, but I don't think there are any recordings of this arrangement.

Dale

Perhaps you could increase and decrease the swell, similar to a wave washing upon the shore and then withdrawing back into the ocean. You could build upon this making successive waves more intense as you build toward the climax.

It is also possible to get different textures out of your cymbal by moving the mallets both towards and back from the bell of the cymbal. Building this in intensity can also help to make the sound more 'mysterious'.

drummerjeff88

Dale":fa83dfo7 said:
Perhaps you could increase and decrease the swell, similar to a wave washing upon the shore and then withdrawing back into the ocean. You could build upon this making successive waves more intense as you build toward the climax.

It is also possible to get different textures out of your cymbal by moving the mallets both towards and back from the bell of the cymbal. Building this in intensity can also help to make the sound more 'mysterious'.
Okay, thanks. I guess I kinda knew that and tried doing that kind of stuff, but it's good to hear it come from someone else. Thanks.

Dale

It can help also to simply agree with a band leader, tell them you have another idea, do the same thing you were doing, and they'll say "Great!"

Also try moving it from ride to crash and back again may help.

How many bars is the progression?

evolusean13

maybe u can get one of those pro mark things. its like a string of balls that hang from the rides bell. instead of getting a whole new ride. u could just buy that. sizzle rides always sound nice and mysterious.

PaulZILLA

well. while rolling you could kind of make a circle/oval pattern motion. kind of from the rim of the cymbal clockwise to the left up and then towards the bell, then the right and back to the rim and then when the end comes make the pattern again faster then end the roll in the center of the circle/oval. bu in doing this you never go above the bell. the motion towards the bell is the most upper motion you make. and if that doesnt work. try adding the earlier suggested swell effect(lowering the volume/stick hieght and rasiing it as you move across the motion) a little playing aroudn with this could be an interesting effect.

drummerjeff88

Dale":27jr6pz6 said:
It can help also to simply agree with a band leader, tell them you have another idea, do the same thing you were doing, and they'll say "Great!"

Also try moving it from ride to crash and back again may help.

How many bars is the progression?
I think it's 8 bars at a pretty slow tempo. I think I'm just going to stay on the ride though, and figure out how to get the most mysterious sound from it.

drummerjeff88

evolusean13":2iz2z0rh said:
maybe u can get one of those pro mark things. its like a string of balls that hang from the rides bell. instead of getting a whole new ride. u could just buy that. sizzle rides always sound nice and mysterious.
Actually I'm not looking to buy anything at all. I'm just using the school's ride and mallets. I'm looking for advice how to get the best sound from what I have, I'm not going to buy a cymbal or rivet chain. Thanks anyway though.

drummerjeff88

PaulZILLA":bmtrl6wg said:
well. while rolling you could kind of make a circle/oval pattern motion. kind of from the rim of the cymbal clockwise to the left up and then towards the bell, then the right and back to the rim and then when the end comes make the pattern again faster then end the roll in the center of the circle/oval. bu in doing this you never go above the bell. the motion towards the bell is the most upper motion you make. and if that doesnt work. try adding the earlier suggested swell effect(lowering the volume/stick hieght and rasiing it as you move across the motion) a little playing aroudn with this could be an interesting effect.
Thanks. That's sort of similar to what I tried, although I was more randomly moving my mallets around the cymbal.

devilspain

i hate sizzle rides!! they horrible. good for jazz etc but really annoying if you just want a striaght crash sound. especially if thats the only crash the school has lol.

to be mysterious! hey try not play!! pretend your playing. try swirling your sticks wierdly. its awkward aint it. good luck.

screamkevin

"Mysterious" ride sound to me sounds like a need for a Dark, almost trashy cymbal, like maybe a Zildjian Oriental Crash Of Doom, or perhaps a small china splash stacked on the ride. Of course, don't limit yourself to just the mallets that the school is providing. Try to roll on the cymbal with something else. Hands, maracas with felt taped to them (so as not to damage the maracas), tape some shakers to the mallets, there are an infinite number of sonic and pallette possibilities here. Also, it can't hurt to try to ask your director what he his looking for. Get him to describe what he's hearing in his head as much as possible, then you'll have an idea of where to go.
The sizzle idea kicks arse, too. :wink:

Go Champale

I know this is a little out of what the sheet notes suggest.....but try a violin bow on the cymbals. It is the darkest and creepiest sound that you can get out of a cymbal. Your teacher will probably hate it, but hey...you were creative.

Dale

Go Champale":31svinqy said:
I know this is a little out of what the sheet notes suggest.....but try a violin bow on the cymbals. It is the darkest and creepiest sound that you can get out of a cymbal. Your teacher will probably hate it, but hey...you were creative.
That's a great idea.

drummerjeff88

devilspain":iu15x7tz said:
i hate sizzle rides!! they horrible. good for jazz etc but really annoying if you just want a striaght crash sound. especially if thats the only crash the school has lol.

to be mysterious! hey try not play!! pretend your playing. try swirling your sticks wierdly. its awkward aint it. good luck.
Haha, I was basically doing that actually at one point. He didn't think what I was playing was mysterious, and it was supposed to be soft, so I just played so that there was barely any sound from the cymbal at all.

drummerjeff88

Go Champale":1xnv42th said:
That sounds really cool. I'll have to try that one day, but for this, I think I'm just going to stick to using regular mallets (which are just timpani mallets by the way, is that a bad choice of mallets for drum set playing?).