My Saluda's Im Ordering

michiganice91

I just listened to the Mist-X sound files on saluda's web site. Everything is pretty tinny sounding (compared to the Paiste 2002 and Sigs I ordered). Does anyone carry saludas on the shelves in a store??

dahlgrendrummer

Dude, your a hop skip and a jump away from Saluda, they are in NC, they have a store front you can go to. I love my Saludas, I have a 18" MistX, 18 Brilliant VooDoo China, 19" EARLY Loco prototype, and a 20" Diamond Crash Ride. I am an endorsing artist thats too poor to replace all my other cymbals, hahaha, I working on it slowly but surely.

anavrinIV

dahlgrendrummer":2a4295sj said:
Dude, your a hop skip and a jump away from Saluda, they are in NC, they have a store front you can go to. I love my Saludas, I have a 18" MistX, 18 Brilliant VooDoo China, 19" EARLY Loco prototype, and a 20" Diamond Crash Ride. I am an endorsing artist thats too poor to replace all my other cymbals, hahaha, I working on it slowly but surely.
theyre actually in sc...but you have a good suggestion with going to them. im thinking i should do the same thing as theyre only about 100 miles from me.

Howepirate

michiganice91":39ekhvpr said:
I just listened to the Mist-X sound files on saluda's web site. Everything is pretty tinny sounding (compared to the Paiste 2002 and Sigs I ordered). Does anyone carry saludas on the shelves in a store??
Honestly, those videos sound NOTHING like the cymbals you get from Saluda.

screamkevin

michiganice91":1vomg8h4 said:
Does anyone carry saludas on the shelves in a store??
The answer to that question is no. In the future as the company grows, that is one of the targets, but as for right now, you can only get Saludas through the company.

rufus4dagruv

Howepirate":2csfzks1 said:
It makes sense that the cymbals are going to sound somewhat different from the files posted. One's style of playing, specifically how and where the cymbal is struck and the slight differences in weight and hammering, is going to cause cymbals from the same line to sound slightly different from one another.

If the cymbals actually sounded NOTHING like the sound files, why would anyone buy them? :? If I purchased a cymbal online based on a soundfile, which I have done several times, and it didn't sound ANYTHING like the file I heard, I would be pretty upset about it.

Howepirate

rufus4dagruv":3grzifel said:
Howepirate":3grzifel said:
It makes sense that the cymbals are going to sound somewhat different from the files posted. One's style of playing, specifically how and where the cymbal is struck and the slight differences in weight and hammering, is going to cause cymbals from the same line to sound slightly different from one another.

If the cymbals actually sounded NOTHING like the sound files, why would anyone buy them? :? If I purchased a cymbal online based on a soundfile, which I have done several times, and it didn't sound ANYTHING like the file I heard, I would be pretty upset about it.

You guys really aren't grasping the concept that they are aCUSTOM company. They make cymbals how YOU WANT THEM

rufus4dagruv

Howepirate":3tklqbl3 said:
rufus4dagruv":3tklqbl3 said:
Howepirate":3tklqbl3 said:

You guys really aren't grasping the concept that they are aCUSTOM company. They make cymbals how YOU WANT THEM
The shouting isn't necessary, chief. Most of the regulars here understand the custom aspect of what the company is trying to do.

The point is, I repeat, <b>If I purchased a cymbal online based on a soundfile, which I have done several times, and it didn't sound ANYTHING like the file I heard, I would be pretty upset about it.</b> The fact that they "custom" make cymbals is irrelevant in this argument. We're not talking about custom ordering a cymbal; we're talking about ordering a pie based on a soundfile. :roll:

And yes, EOTE_drummer, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be happy with them. If you aren't I'm sure you can contact the company and send back any of the ones you aren't happy with.

screamkevin

Rufus,

The point that EOTE is trying so "delicately" (ROTFL) to make is that the soundfiles that are posted are very, very generic. Jamie and the Saluda team are constantly researching and testing new designs and processes to advance their product. My Saluda Diamond crashes, for example, are much, much darker than the sound files that are on the website. The soundfiles are really just meant to be very generic baseline examples of what the cymbals generally resemble. It's the individual creation process that makes each Saluda completely unique from another.

rufus4dagruv

screamkevin":qddolnsf said:
Rufus,

The point that EOTE is trying so "delicately" (ROTFL) to make is that the soundfiles that are posted are very, very generic. Jamie and the Saluda team are constantly researching and testing new designs and processes to advance their product. My Saluda Diamond crashes, for example, are much, much darker than the sound files that are on the website. The soundfiles are really just meant to be very generic baseline examples of what the cymbals generally resemble. It's the individual creation process that makes each Saluda completely unique from another.
Thanks for the reply, Kevin. I do understand that the company is constantly striving to meet the demands for their customers, however, when certain changes are made to a line of cymbals, that line will still retain a fundamental characteristic. If that fundamental changed, I think that they would create a new series, or at least change the description appropriately.

When I listen to soundfiles at Paiste, Sabian, and Z's websites, I am very aware that if I go into a store and test drive any of those particular pies, they are not going to sound exactly the same as the files I've already heard (mics, room, preamp, sticks used, the player's technique make it impossible to perfectly recreate that in person).

I wouldn't be so disrespectful to tell Jamie how to run his own business, but IMHO, if the fundamental sounds of the cymbal lines they have to offer have changed so greatly from the soundfiles they currently have posted, it may be beneficial to put up some new files. There is most certainly a customer demographic that is interested in hearing files. To say the existing files sound <b>NOTHING</b> like the cymbal you would receive after, say, placing an order for one from DrumGearOnline, is an absurd statement, nonetheless.

screamkevin

rufus4dagruv":1n8fus7g said:
screamkevin":1n8fus7g said:
Rufus,

Thanks for the reply, Kevin. I do understand that the company is constantly striving to meet the demands for their customers, however, when certain changes are made to a line of cymbals, that line will still retain a fundamental characteristic. If that fundamental changed, I think that they would create a new series, or at least change the description appropriately.

When I listen to soundfiles at Paiste, Sabian, and Z's websites, I am very aware that if I go into a store and test drive any of those particular pies, they are not going to sound exactly the same as the files I've already heard (mics, room, preamp, sticks used, the player's technique make it impossible to perfectly recreate that in person).

I wouldn't be so disrespectful to tell Jamie how to run his own business, but IMHO, if the fundamental sounds of the cymbal lines they have to offer have changed so greatly from the soundfiles they currently have posted, it may be beneficial to put up some new files. There is most certainly a customer demographic that is interested in hearing files. To say the existing files sound <b>NOTHING</b> like the cymbal you would receive after, say, placing an order for one from DrumGearOnline, is an absurd statement, nonetheless.
Rufus,

Completely understood. I agree about needing some new soundfiles, but Saluda is a small company, and it does cost a lot more bandwith charges to update soundfiles. (I also run a web company, and we charge for everything we can.)

I think that the problem a lot of folks are running in to is expecting all Sauda lines to sound similar within themselves, if you follow me. And they do for the most part, if you're just buying them from DGO. However, if you are calling the company and ordering custom stuff, it's going to sound completely different from what's on the site. For example, I own a 20" Mist-X Brilliant Heavy Ride. Now, you can listen to a standard Mist-X Ride file on the site, but mine sounds completely different, since I had a ton of mods done to it. I had a low-profile bell created on it (the top of the bell only sits about 3/4" above the rest of the cymbal), and the sound is a hybrid of a 21" Zildjian Z Custom Light Power Ride and my well-worn, heavily patina'd 1963 Zildjian A Medium ride, combined with standard heavy ride characteristics, such as long decay, ping, etc... It took Jamie 5 tries to get it, but he nailed what I was looking for, and hit it out of the park.

Just some food for thought.

rufus4dagruv

screamkevin":3kasweeg said:
rufus4dagruv":3kasweeg said:
screamkevin":3kasweeg said:
Rufus,

Rufus,

Completely understood. I agree about needing some new soundfiles, but Saluda is a small company, and it does cost a lot more bandwith charges to update soundfiles. (I also run a web company, and we charge for everything we can.)

I think that the problem a lot of folks are running in to is expecting all Sauda lines to sound similar within themselves, if you follow me. And they do for the most part, if you're just buying them from DGO. However, if you are calling the company and ordering custom stuff, it's going to sound completely different from what's on the site. For example, I own a 20" Mist-X Brilliant Heavy Ride. Now, you can listen to a standard Mist-X Ride file on the site, but mine sounds completely different, since I had a ton of mods done to it. I had a low-profile bell created on it (the top of the bell only sits about 3/4" above the rest of the cymbal), and the sound is a hybrid of a 21" Zildjian Z Custom Light Power Ride and my well-worn, heavily patina'd 1963 Zildjian A Medium ride, combined with standard heavy ride characteristics, such as long decay, ping, etc... It took Jamie 5 tries to get it, but he nailed what I was looking for, and hit it out of the park.

I smellin' what you're steppin' in. :lol:

Sorry to have contributed to getting completely off of the OP's track.

EOTE, are you ordering customized versions of your cymbals, or are they from DGO?

AmnestysLowEnd

BTW all the clips are also of Heavy/Medium cymbals too. They don't open up as well as thins or medium thins do at lower levels. I also think the mics are to close to the cymbals as well, they pick up a lot of lows most likely from the proximity effect . My 17 and 18 inch Mist-x thins sound very big and powerful as dose my 19 inch Voodoo, which might be the only clip that sounds very close to it.

EOTE_drummer

rufus4dagruv":24ju7lgj said:
screamkevin":24ju7lgj said:
rufus4dagruv":24ju7lgj said:
screamkevin":24ju7lgj said:
Rufus,

Rufus,

I smellin' what you're steppin' in. :lol:

Sorry to have contributed to getting completely off of the OP's track.

EOTE, are you ordering customized versions of your cymbals, or are they from DGO?

standard except for the ride and 18" crash. leaving the hats, and 16" crash alone. thanks for all the input, i will tell you about them when they get here :D