My Rogers Kit

ThePloughman

I think these are from around 85-89. They are post CBS Rogers, after Island Music purchased licensing rights from CBS to build Rogers offshore. Early Island Music Rogers still used the Memrilock curved spurs that were so familiar on Big R drums from 75-84/85. Yours has the later spurs Island Music used. I also believe the same supplier was used for drum wrap as what Rogers was using during the latter days of American built drums. These wraps do not age particularily well, and are prone to stress cracking with age. They do become brittle as time goes by. My Big R Rogers are from 1977 and do have some stress cracking around the lugs and mounts. At this point in time, none of them are thru cracks, just stress type fractures. Eventually I will recover my set. I have had them since I was 19, and that was 28 years ago. Nice color you have.

zad0030

ThePloughman":1dpf3lne said:
I think these are from around 85-89. They are post CBS Rogers, after Island Music purchased licensing rights from CBS to build Rogers offshore. Early Island Music Rogers still used the Memrilock curved spurs that were so familiar on Big R drums from 75-84/85. Yours has the later spurs Island Music used. I also believe the same supplier was used for drum wrap as what Rogers was using during the latter days of American built drums. These wraps do not age particularily well, and are prone to stress cracking with age. They do become brittle as time goes by. My Big R Rogers are from 1977 and do have some stress cracking around the lugs and mounts. At this point in time, none of them are thru cracks, just stress type fractures. Eventually I will recover my set. I have had them since I was 19, and that was 28 years ago. Nice color you have.
Thanks for posting all that I didnt know when they were made, there are no tags inside of them either. I dont have any cracks, thank god, and everything is in great condition. I think i am the 3rd owner of this set.
The color looks better in the picture then it does in person. In person its more of a teal. I can tell its faded because I pulled the heads off the bass drum and I could see around the edge where the hoop is that its darker blue and not that teal color.

zad0030

dbkman":211yfwic said:
i love it man! hows it sound? and whats it made of?
It sounds good. The neighbors wont talk to me, but i dont care.
Im not sure what its made of besides wood.. Maybe the ploughman can tell us.

Scrogs

My first kit was a "hand me down" Rogers set. It was black, very similar to yours, but it was no where
near the condition your set is in. The covering was coming off and the shells were actually coming apart.
I miss that thing though, sentimental value I guess...

zad0030

Yeah I bought it in February and played just about everyday since. I have added a Sabian B8 20" Ride and replaced the heads and thats all, it sounds amazing!