My playing-Check it out

drumsforlife

Sounds pretty good for a mic for a computer. Is there any way you can pull up a graphic EQ for the mic? Because it sounds like there's no mid range sound what-so-ever. Other than that, sounds good. I like the way you have your drums tuned. Very nice.

drumschick07

drumsforlife":2h9gs7mi said:
Sounds pretty good for a mic for a computer. Is there any way you can pull up a graphic EQ for the mic? Because it sounds like there's no mid range sound what-so-ever. Other than that, sounds good.
No, I don't think so. Its a really simple recording program on my computer. where would I find the the graphic EQ?

drumsforlife

It should either be called graphic EQ or parametric EQ. The EQ looks like a set of lines with sliders that represent the frequencies of sounds, like 100Hz, 330Hz, 1kHz, 3.3kHz, 10kHz, and so on. They appear in the order I mentioned, and should have 0 in dead center, -10 on bottom, and +10 on top. The way I set up my EQ is put all the sliders up to +10, and going in from each side to the center, I pull each slider down towards 0 until I get what looks like a smiley face. This is the best way I know of explaining it. If you can't find EQ, the next best thing is to find a function within your program that provides high end boost, high end shelving, mid range boost, low end boost, etc. The idea is to get your sound in a pyrimid with the least amount of high end sound on top, a middle amount of mid range sound in the middle, and the most amount of low end sound on the bottom. To me it sounds unbalanced, like there's a lot of high end, and low end, and very little mid range sound.

drumschick07

Yeah, I agree. My recording program doesn't even give me the option of changing all of that stuff. I would like to get one that does. Do you know of anything I can buy?

drumsforlife

Cakewalk Music Creator 2. $40 at Best Buy. Best damn investment I ever made. For the price, it's damn good. Plus, it opens up your recording projects in a track by track view much like a lot of other more professional recording programs. That way you can get experience in working with the audio and be more helpful in future recording endeavors if you track in a studio.

If you want to spend a lil more money, go for Cakewalk's Sonor Producer software. Or you could try Reason, or Protools. Cooledit is another great program but is more money than Music Creator. I use cooledit at work and it is very much like Music Creator, only with more and better options and tools for editing the audio.

In Music Creator, it has both graphic EQ and Parametric EQ, so you have both options. Let me know if I can help you out any further. I'm more than willing. And I'm glad to help anytime. My life's work is in audio engineering so anything I can do to help, I want to do because it's fun!

drumsforlife

drumschick07":wx2of1zi said:
Thanks a lot! You've been such a big help! Now, If I buy one of these programs is the mic I already have good?
What kind of mic is it? Brand name? or noname? cheap radio shack?

Truth is, if you decide to get one of the programs I mentioned, you can take sound from any kind of mic, and edit it to sound at least decent or on a semi-professional level.

http://www.myspace.com/symphonious06

Go there. It's some demo work I did using cakewalk and only the crappy mic that came with my computer. The other tracks in the mix were done on keyboard through a direct box. (That means I plugged my keyboard into my computer) The vocals and drums were done with the computer mic. You can obviously tell which tracks are direct and which ones are from the computer mic. I have three songs. On the last one, I used cakewalk for a drum loop, and then built my drum part around that. Let me know what you think!

drumschick07

Your work sounded good! Its really different than anything I have ever heard before. I'm going to buy one of those programs sometime here soon.

As far as my mic goes, I'm not sure what brand it is. I don't have it with me right now. I'll let you know when I get home. It was like 30 bucks though, so it wasn't super expensive.

drumsforlife

drumschick07":1du6jq3u said:
It was like 30 bucks though, so it wasn't super expensive.
Let me tell you. Your $30 mic is a lot better than the crappy mic I used to record my demo work.

Oh yea, I forgot to tell you. On the second song on my page, I used some of my cymbals stacked together to get a unique and different sound. I also used a method called meter modulation to give it a feel of something in 6/8, but I wrote it in 4/4. there's a section in there where I meter modulated to the 4/4 feel and it made the song sound faster. Only it didn't speed up.

Thanks for your kind words about my work. I'm slowly beginning to make my mark in the music world. My goal is to make people scratch there heads in confusion but say, "That sounded good, but how in the hell?" LOL

drumschick07

"My goal is to make people scratch there heads in confusion but say, "That sounded good, but how in the hell?" LOL
You definently achievedthat goal! I liked it though. You definently have talent!

I'll let you know the brand of mic...