My Old Highschool Paid$$$ for a kit and it sounds like crap.

PaulZILLA

i was at my old highschool for an alumni band thing for their upcoming concert, and i got to play aroud on their new Pearl Session Masters Birch kit. rack(pearl) and zildjian ZHT(crap for their purpose) cymbals and all that. it is an ok kit. but first. the stock heads claim to be hydraulic but dont work like hydraulics. they are mearly 2 ply heads with a slight oil in between them. the person who ordered the kit is married to a " drummer" who thinks hes the god of drums and knows all.yet. when he tuned this kit, first off he said the stock heads were the best for it(WRONG!) and he tuned them so high that the toms were just choked off and all you heard was the "tnk" of the heads and no tone or anything. dont even get me started on how all the toms were tuned way too close to each other as far as tone. another thing that really got me was that they h ad a 12x5 popcorn snare as a main snare. good snare but main. nope. and they tuned it horidly too. the bassdrum(which sounded nice) had literally 2fullsized pillows for a bed and af ull size comforter/quilt for a bed folde dbetween them. so it was dead to tsay the least. i was commenting to the b and director that knows a few things, and he asked me to retune them. so after 20 mins of tu ning them they sounded good. and then the person who ordered them came in complaining and things. as well as her students. so i think that just because you have a musical degree doesnt mean you know SQUAT about music. she is an example. they paid something like2800 for this entire kit. and it sounded worse and was setup worse than a 200Royce kit straight from the boxes untuned and put together by somebody who NEVER saw a drum before. so im done ranting. comment in and ask . its funny

demonicAngel

wait wait wait, so the teachers and the students complained about YOUR tuning? or his?

and honestly, they could have a PhD in music and not know anything about drums. They wont learn drums, they might learn like, strings, brass, and stuff but probly never even touch a drumset, which is very sad because the drumming community is so open and they all help eachother out. Guitars and singers, not so much...

PatternsInTheIvy

Yeah, well be lucky you guys have a semi-decent kit there. Here, we had an older pearl, not sure of the line at the moment, but the kids mistreat it so much that there are 4 different broken shells and hardware pieces. Not just lug hard pieces, like the actual rack tom system hardware is busted.

PaulZILLA

they complained about my tuning. and i even went to explain to them that hydraulic heads where meant for LOW-MODERATE tuning. NOT BY ANYMEANS soprano. they had the 16x11 tom tuned higher than i have my 10x8. and i mean much higher. my roto-toms were tuned the same as these drums, and i have the 6-8-10 roto-tom set. and their old kit was a mid 90s pearl export. not to bad shape. beat to hell and back. but new heads woulda dont a world of good. this kit is less than 8 months old and came STRAIGHT from the pearl warehouse. and the bass batter side hoop has literaly 1/8 and/1/4 inch chunks knocked into it, and the shell itself has freaking scratches down it longer than a stick. its a lacquer kit so its really not sposed to be beat around like that. i have to go back there today and do a final rehersal. they are going to use one of my custom snares i built for the concert tonight, now th ats some karma haha. they hate on my tuning system and when i make the drums sound like actual drums, yet they requested to use one of my custom snares. what really killed me ab out this kit was it was suposed to have hydraulic heads. first off since when does pearl make hydraulic standard heads. they are 2ply. REALLY thin 2ply. and seem to have maybe some oil between th em, but they had them tuned so high it squeezed it all around and they way they beat the drums, not play them, im pretty sure it leaked out if there was any. im seriously tempted to order a set of evans hydraulics(blue or red) and put them on my old kit and show them how hydraulic heads look and sound. they abuse the hell out of this kit. the bass drum isnt even off the ground. they have it laying flat on the ground with the spurs out and extended just enough to touch the ground. no lift at all on the bass. so its just sitting there. they are using the spurs to not roll the bass. the band director that complained is married to a "drummer". she claims hes a professional who knows more about drumming than anybody in this area, yet. NOBODY has heard of him, and he has yet to be heard drumming. first off he claimed this birch sessions kit was PERFECT for jazz *DING* WRONG!. im sure most of you would agree a nice ash or mahogany kit would have gone way farther( examples being a gretsch or ddrum kit with a 26in bass 1up 2 down toms and b ig snare.) that or a micro bass(what i call em)20x16 or 18x16. i gave up trying to tell her she bout a studio kit, NOT a jazz kit.you guys would shoot her for the snare. that 12x5 firecracker is tuned just barely. with a "coated" head, one of those that say coated but are like a cheap smooth white that chips easily. and the reso snare side isnt tuned as well as the snare wires are all crooked and just barely touching the head at max tension on the strainer. the director that asked me to tune the drums is a friend of mine, and he agrees with you guys. he actualy knows how to tune drums and is rather good at it, but he prefers sticking to marching percussion and leaving kits to me. the one that complained claims and it shows on her transcript to have compleated " PERCUSION1 and PERCUSION2" on her college music degree. yet knows precisely nothing about real drums and percussion. they are a sad bunch of wana-be's. i didnt even argue with them about it. let them destroy it. it wont last long. the toms are starting to show stress and are going to be thrashed and warped by this time next year. the tension on these heads was that tight. i could see the stress marks near the bearing edge on the toms. now when you tune a head made for super stable low tension high enough to stress on a solid birch shell and start to show in the lacquer. you really gota get a grip. i knew you guys would get a kick out of this. at a concert thing i played at, at this school a few weeks ago, i took my old kit, i was given a pu lse 5pc drumkit. its ok now that i rebuilt, refinished, completely re did everything, even the bearing edges, and put some aquarian Response2/Performance2 combo on the toms, and SuperKick1 on the bass, with an Evans Genera HD Dry on the snare and some Ludwig snare wires. the kit isnt half bad at all. friends of mine in the audience(who are PEARL loyalist and think that the export is gods gift to the drum world) even said that my rebuilt kit i took up there for laughs blew away this sessions birch kit. im gona take a couple pics tonight and post on this thread and show you guys some of this kit. the "hydraulic" heads, the chips n knicks in the bass hoops and shell. the bass bein on the ground, all that crap. honestly and they admited they didnt order a kit from a description, they saw the pic in a catalog, called them said " we want that kit, no matter the price" so they paid high dollar for a nice shiny turd.

PaulZILLA

so im not really wanting to rant on and on about it. but it does tick me off when somebody who knows NOTHING about drums/percussion claims to be the guru and then tries to dog on me(not to toot my own horn) who actualy plays drums and even builds them. i may not be the best drummer, but my building knowledge adds a whole hell of a lot to what i know about tuning/sound/setup

Eiren

Sounds like a case of what sounds good to you, doesn't sound good to another drummer... and vice versa. It happens.

We all have different tastes, and that breeds diversity.

The problem comes when you have to share kit!

PaulZILLA

it may be. but the heads are so tight that they are starting to have stretches and show marks. there is even some slight signs of warping on the shells on the lacquer. the director today(that didnt like my tuning) was tellin the other director " we had them setup in jazz tuning. thats what made the others so upset..... there is no proper tuning for drums" to start iv NEVER heard a jazz drummer with high tuning. specificaly not that high. i mean our marching tenors(quads) were just barely higher than this. second, there is proper tuning. but thats to personal preference, me i take all the hardware off the shell and thump it and listen for the resonance tone. and tune there and adjust slightly above or below that for the "sweetspot". they treat it like crap. but oh well. i was told they may get me to build them a couple new concert snares, a new kit snare, and possibly a marching snare for the next school year, so thats some money in my pocket lol

drummert2k

dont ya love stuff like this. or better yet, when someone was in school band and 25 years down the road not having held sicks since senior year trys to correct your tuning. you shouldve just said "fine, it sounds like crap but if thats what you want, cool"

....although, stock im a huge fan of the stock heads on most pearl kits. once you get out of the poplar shell range the stock heads can tune up really nice. and depending on what music the drums were for maybe high tuning and the tight popcorn snare fit. drums dont always have to be low and boomy (even though thats what i personaly am a fan of)

demonicAngel

drummert2k":3rgzkqej said:
dont ya love stuff like this. or better yet, when someone was in school band and 25 years down the road not having held sicks since senior year trys to correct your tuning. you shouldve just said "fine, it sounds like crap but if thats what you want, cool"

....although, stock im a huge fan of the stock heads on most pearl kits. once you get out of the poplar shell range the stock heads can tune up really nice. and depending on what music the drums were for maybe high tuning and the tight popcorn snare fit. drums dont always have to be low and boomy (even though thats what i personaly am a fan of)

amen man, the stock heads on a Gretsch Catalina Ash, It almost screams perfection to me, so i know the feeling. ...You almost want to buy the stock drumheads after they break :p

PaulZILLA

well the stock heads arent bad. but for the style they wanted, and tuning range they wanted, they werent gona cut it. now i could have used them to play my style. with a med-upper low tuning with a nice fat round sound. not all boom. but they had them tuned up rediculously high man. im not even kidding when i said the shells are showing warp and stress marks. personal as far as who has the best stock heads, id say Gretsch Catalina(any model) are pretty darn good. i also love the stock heads on the catalina ash, and the MOD kits come pretty setup too. i like the CatalinaRock most though. im lookin to maybe get a catalina mod to goof with, but im building a custom kit this summer so ill prolly skip that. they re-untuned them for the concert tonight, and i kringed everytime they hit a tom. i took my custom snare up there that i built and they loved it, but used a really wore down junker with 10yr old heads on it. bleh.

PaulZILLA

the popcorn snare did sound good, but they had it tuned really low. kinda med/low tuning on a standard 5x14. it worked though. i love the snare. but the way they setup this crap makes me hate them. if i had tha tkit it would still be sparkling. now its ragd out at under a year

Llama_Dude

hey be glad its like that, my school has a 26 year old CB700 with pinstripes thet were on it when it was bought 14 years ago second hand and are cymbals are schmitars (BARF!!!) ugh! but hey, in school I play sexyphone so I don't have to play it but just hearing it when we play rock songs just makes me cringe... oh and I looked in the accesory cabinet and we have avedis zildjians from 1960's and I asked my band director if she knew about them and she said "yeah, but I like the Schimitars better." I almost slapped her! so yeah you could be a musical doctorate and not know andything about drums.

Crazy lady!

Howepirate

I almost shed a tear reading your argument as i am one of im sure many struggling young musicians trying to make a name for themselves and get a band started and become a great drummer.

I would have literally started yelling at the band director or whoever said that high tuning is good. I was in that situation once when i had played for a local church band. Our band leader has been a musician pretty much all her life and been in a million and 2 worship bands and she was arguing with me on what cross-sticking and a rim shot is.

I told her i'll cross stick through this part and bring it up with the toms (simple intro for a simple song) and shes like cross-stick?? and i showed her.

I put my stick across the snare held the back end down and hit the rim and shes like oh you mean your gunna rimshot it?

I of course said no ima cross-stick and to be an ass i rimshot as hard as i can on the snare and make her jump and i say thats a rimshot.

Either way she argued with me for like 15 mins on it and i of course won being a drummer that studies drums more than the faggots in college do.

PaulZILLA

aye. nothing to get your point across like proving it. and nothing to wake up somebody better than a nice sturdy rimshot. i imagine the argument would have lasted longer had you been debating over traditional and matched grips. seemingly more and more people dont even know the difference. personaly, im not very good at trad' but im working on it(studying Buddy Rich and Dave Weckl). but i at least know the difference. as far as making a name for yourself. i am not an extremely talented drummer, but i can hold my own. so i chose a slightly less traveled rout, and began building custom drums, im pretty damn good at that lol