My new Tama Superstar

McSleeps

Heres my new tama superstar in custom ocean fade. I sold my old premier xpk and hardware, and after buying all new hardware and the kit, I've only spent $650 (canadian). I also have 8" and 16" toms on order in the same finish, and that will probably take another 6 months to get here from china or wherever. I can't wait to get that 16" because i can only tune the 14"x11" tom so low and it just isn't deep enough. Other than that, I gave the drums a quick tune and they sound awsome, even with the cheap tama skins they came with. Anyways, here are teh specs...

Tama Superstar Custom Ocean Fade
-10", 12", 14" toms with starcast mounting
-14" x 5.5" snare
-22" x 18" bass

Hardware is all Tama Roadpro
Hi-hat stand and double-kick are Pearl Eliminater

Cymbals all Sabian
-14" AAX Stage Hats
-19" AAX Metal Crash
-18" AAX Metal Crash
-20" AAX Metal Ride
-18" AA Metal-X China

anojeezick

Nice kit man. I love that finish. I was thinkin about pickin up a superstar as well. What are your thought/opinions on it? Sounds good?

McSleeps

anojeezick":3qq9w4db said:
Nice kit man. I love that finish. I was thinkin about pickin up a superstar as well. What are your thought/opinions on it? Sounds good?
I think it's a great kit, with the cast rims, starcast mounts, all the tama hardware included is great, they are very affordable, and yes the finish is awsome! I haven't had a chance to play around with different heads yet cause I just got it, but even with the tama heads that are on it the toms resonate well without any buzz (with proper tuning that is). I barely had to tune the snare when i got it, I just tightened up the top and bottom heads and I love it, it has alot of "crack" and it sounds almost like a steel snare drum (almost like a joey jordison snare if you've ever heard it, but less high pitched). For the bass drum, I sounds alright, needs a bit more than just putting the heads on. I'm going to put a mic hole in the front, a small pillow and I'll probably change the batter skin, the 1 ply bass batter that comes with it sounds kinda weak. But then again, there are always little tweaks that need to be made after it comes out of the box, and this kit doesn't need many. Anyways, I'm just damn happy right now with this kit, it is totaly worth it! I'll get back to you about the bass drum once I make those adjustments.

anojeezick

McSleeps":175h60e9 said:
anojeezick":175h60e9 said:
I think it's a great kit, with the cast rims, starcast mounts, all the tama hardware included is great, they are very affordable, and yes the finish is awsome! I haven't had a chance to play around with different heads yet cause I just got it, but even with the tama heads that are on it the toms resonate well without any buzz (with proper tuning that is). I barely had to tune the snare when i got it, I just tightened up the top and bottom heads and I love it, it has alot of "crack" and it sounds almost like a steel snare drum (almost like a joey jordison snare if you've ever heard it, but less high pitched). For the bass drum, I sounds alright, needs a bit more than just putting the heads on. I'm going to put a mic hole in the front, a small pillow and I'll probably change the batter skin, the 1 ply bass batter that comes with it sounds kinda weak. But then again, there are always little tweaks that need to be made after it comes out of the box, and this kit doesn't need many. Anyways, I'm just damn happy right now with this kit, it is totaly worth it! I'll get back to you about the bass drum once I make those adjustments.
Sounds good man. I think I'm going with this. I like the scarlet fade finish more, and Black Nickel harware sounds hella tight.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... c=3SOSWXXA
Now I just need some cash...

Have fun with that thing bro.

McSleeps

anojeezick":3it1kee7 said:
Sounds good man. I think I'm going with this. I like the scarlet fade finish more, and Black Nickel harware sounds hella tight.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... c=3SOSWXXA
Now I just need some cash...

Have fun with that thing bro.
Ya that looks siiick! I wish the regular superstar had a black nickle option, and it's good that it comes with two floor toms, I've gotta wait 6 months for mine! It says $999.99, does that include a hardware pack like stands and stuff or is it just the shells? My kit was $999 with the hardware pack, but i guess that one has an extra floor tom and the black nickle hardware so that isn't a bad price if you've got the money.

anojeezick

McSleeps":14o0bfkp said:
Ya that looks siiick! I wish the regular superstar had a black nickle option, and it's good that it comes with two floor toms, I've gotta wait 6 months for mine! It says $999.99, does that include a hardware pack like stands and stuff or is it just the shells? My kit was $999 with the hardware pack, but i guess that one has an extra floor tom and the black nickle hardware so that isn't a bad price if you've got the money.
I like it alot. It is just the shell pack. I have hardware right now so it's cool. Two floors toms are definetaly a bonus. 6 months!! Wait you live in canada right. Hopefully I wont have to wait that long. :shock:
Black Nickel Is pretty sexy I dig it. Almost got enough cash...

McSleeps

anojeezick":qvt4qvjp said:
I like it alot. It is just the shell pack. I have hardware right now so it's cool. Two floors toms are definetaly a bonus. 6 months!! Wait you live in canada right. Hopefully I wont have to wait that long. :shock:
Black Nickel Is pretty sexy I dig it. Almost got enough cash...
Ya in Canada we only have one tama distributor and that's Efkay, and if i can't find what im looking for in any stores, then they order it from Efkay, and if they don't have it then it's gotta come all the way from china which can take up to 6 months. Luckly when I ordered my kit they had one in stock here in canada so it only took a week to get here. Ya I'm sure with a bit of hunting around you'll be able to find plenty of tama dealers in the usa that might have your kit. Good luck!

Alcyon

Seems like a lot of people are playing kits with two rack toms on the left side rather than right over the kick, so you can pull your ride in tight... We need a name for this setup... Suggestions?

Love the ocean fade, by the way.

king_friday

Alcyon":2iwh5a6d said:
Seems like a lot of people are playing kits with two rack toms on the left side rather than right over the kick, so you can pull your ride in tight... We need a name for this setup... Suggestions?

the dirty sanchez

McSleeps

Alcyon":eui0nt7m said:

It's definatly the most comfortable way to setup the toms if your using a double kick, because that pushes the hihat stand over and just to keep the set tight you end up moving the toms over and off the bass drum, and on top of all that most people probably find it more comfortable to have to ride more to the left as apposed to having to reach all the way over to the right. hmmmmm... I have no idea what you would call this setup, haha dirty sanchez doesn't quite suite this setup cause this type of setup is clean... it ain't dirty thats for sure.
Thanks for the good comments!

Scrogs

Alcyon wrote:

the dirty sanchez
Easy Access (to the ride that is)

DrumFiend0206

McSleeps":sp0qz5lf said:
Alcyon":sp0qz5lf said:

It's definatly the most comfortable way to setup the toms if your using a double kick, because that pushes the hihat stand over and just to keep the set tight you end up moving the toms over and off the bass drum, and on top of all that most people probably find it more comfortable to have to ride more to the left as apposed to having to reach all the way over to the right. hmmmmm... I have no idea what you would call this setup, haha dirty sanchez doesn't quite suite this setup cause this type of setup is clean... it ain't dirty thats for sure.
Thanks for the good comments!
I've got my drums set up VERY similar actually haha. Just put it like that the other day cause I've been using a lot more double bass. I've been meaning to take some pictures, so I'll probably do that today.

Very nice kit man, Tama all the way!!