My local Guitar Center is high

Timekeep69

Im' not going to get into whether they're worth the money or not but my loca GC has the Tama bell brass Warlord snare for sale at $1700.00. I went in there the other day and now they have the 30th Anniversary Neal Pearte kit for sale at $30,000.00!

Do they really think that most drummers have this kind of money??

SGarrett

Sadly, that stuff isn't for most drummers. It's for business/medical/etc. professionals with money to blow. The same guy that would buy a Ferrari to park and look at would buy that kit and never play it.

DrumFiend0206

Yeah, I hate my GC, but it's the closest drum place. I went to see how much they would give me for my starclassics(I was looking into custom sets), and they said they would give me 700 damn bucks for it.....Said that "they had to turn a profit".

Greedy Bastards....

And yeah, those kits are for doctors and stuff who have too much money that they don't know what to do with it.

BillRayDrums

Guitar Center is not the only one who would give you low $$ for the kit. Any retailer would lowball you. If you ever have to sell something, do it yourself. You will get more $$ in the end.

However you can trade in for gear and get a way better outcome.

FelterSkelter

BillRayDrums":3t2pcsws said:
Guitar Center is not the only one who would give you low $$ for the kit. Any retailer would lowball you. If you ever have to sell something, do it yourself. You will get more $$ in the end.

I have to agree with this firsthand. Nobody wants to buy a used kit (I don't care how good it is, it's used) for almost the same price as a new one. Everybody wants a good deal, therefore you are better off selling the kit yourself for what GC would sell it for.

SGarrett

FelterSkelter":2ufcoy9a said:
BillRayDrums":2ufcoy9a said:

I have to agree with this firsthand. Nobody wants to buy a used kit (I don't care how good it is, it's used) for almost the same price as a new one. Everybody wants a good deal, therefore you are better off selling the kit yourself for what GC would sell it for.
Yep. It's the same no matter where you go. Ever check the price you get for a used video game?

Basically, a store will want to make the same amount of money off of something that you want to make off of it. Obviously that's not going to work and businesses aren't in the business of doing favors that put them out of business. Sell things on your own or hire a sales professional to sell them for you, with a commission.

miketalbot4

I hate Guitar Center! It's the Walmart of music stores. What ever happened to the local independent drum shop where people actually gave a crap about the customers? It's very sad but it's the "new and improved, keep everything the same" world we live in.

EOTE_drummer

do not take offense to this, but I HATE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU IN THIS POST WITH A BURNING PASSION!!!! i would KILL for a guitar center at least 50 miles away!!! i live in a town with a population of maybe a 1000, if even that many people. we have a dollar store and 2 gas stations. the nearest walmart is 35 miles away, don't even get me started on music stores. i had 2 drive a good 5 hours to the guitar center where i bought my kit, and when i got there i felt like i was in heaven! here u people are talking about things that aren't good enough, how places rip u off. I WOULD KILL TO BE RIPPED OFF!!! somebody offered me $400 for my 10 - piece starclassic, but no deal if i didn't include the cymbals. GUITAR CENTER WONT U PLEASE "RIP" ME OFF!!!!!

SGarrett

EOTE_drummer":2ho79cxu said:
do not take offense to this, but I HATE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU IN THIS POST WITH A BURNING PASSION!!!! i would KILL for a guitar center at least 50 miles away!!! i live in a town with a population of maybe a 1000, if even that many people. we have a dollar store and 2 gas stations. the nearest walmart is 35 miles away, don't even get me started on music stores. i had 2 drive a good 5 hours to the guitar center where i bought my kit, and when i got there i felt like i was in heaven! here u people are talking about things that aren't good enough, how places rip u off. I WOULD KILL TO BE RIPPED OFF!!! somebody offered me $400 for my 10 - piece starclassic, but no deal if i didn't include the cymbals. GUITAR CENTER WONT U PLEASE "RIP" ME OFF!!!!!
No offense but, sucks to be you. :D

Assback

I don't know why everyone talks so much crap on Guitar Center. First of all, there not a rip off. No matter where you go, you're going to the get drasticly lower price for used gear than what you payed for it orignally. That's business. It wouldn't make sence for a business to not want to make a profit.

As far as the rediculously expensive equipment goes (Neil set for $30,000) that's how it is on anything. There are rediculously priced cars, shoes, purses, clothes, cigars, baseball cards, etc, etc. What no one seems to mention is how at GC, right next to the $30,000 set there's a $200 starter set, $400 Tama and Pearl starter set, $700 Pacific mid-level set, $1000+ pro sets (DW's and such) and everything in between. Yeah they have expensive equipment but that's just for those who can afford them (rich people) and they have a bunch of sets and equipment for everyone else. Whatever you want is there. The prices are fair (I don't find things cheaper anywhere else) and you can use it right there in the store. I constantly go and play many times a month and never buy anything except sticks and picks. They don't mid cause they know when I want someting big I'll be back. The people there are friendly and on busy days they'll ignore me (which is reasonable bc I'm not buying anything and they have to tend to actual customers) but on slow days they'll come and just talk music and hang out. They remember me and I remember them. When I come looking for stuff they already have an idea what I want from getting to know me and I'll end up walking out w/ exactly what I was looking for, usually something better. The concept that GC is a cold, money hungry institution is just not true. When I bought my set, the dude who sold me it actually offered to come in his spare time to tune and set it up for me and I barely knew him. You don't get that at many places. Period. I didn't really mean to go on a rant but I just really support my local Guitar Center and feel that they do what they do very well. I've been known to steal customers away from the local Sam Ash. Everyone there are dicks, don't know there shit, and leave you waiting around for a long time for every little thing (15 minutes to check if my favorite sticks are in stock...C"MON!). I don't know if your guy's GC is like my Sam Ash but I can't stand that place so I always get people that shop there to switch to GC and they usually keep going afterwards. If Guitar Center sucked so much I don't think they'd have loyal customers like me. Just my opinion. Sorry this was so long.

sh80shea

My opinion...I like the smaller shops and the personal service you receive. My boys at Robbies Music bend over backwards and are very knowledgeable. They'll even do better than the Wal-Mart of music known as Guitar Center. Like they say "There's an ass for every seat" So someone will pay those prices for whatever reason.

phil-drummer

$30,000 . jeez man , no one walt'z into drum store with that kinda budget in mind, im sure their are a few rush tribute band that wud love that kit tho and perhaps mite purchase it

SGarrett

phil-drummer":1f845b15 said:
$30,000 . jeez man , no one walt'z into drum store with that kinda budget in mind, im sure their are a few rush tribute band that wud love that kit tho and perhaps mite purchase it
Why not? People spend $400,000 on cars.

FelterSkelter

It's all about the bottom line. Like I've said before, buy whatever you want from GC. I have. Don't ever expect them to care about it when you have a problem though. Once it's sold it's sold.

TheYardstick

So did the kit have all the sounds programmed and all the same cymbals and drums and pads?

If it didn't it would be a rip, but if it did i expect that that's the only way to turn a profit on that kit, and the die hard fans too.

zen_drummer

For 30K you get the 30th anniversary kit with the whole paragon cymbal lineup, gold plated stands, and a certificate that says you used to have 30K and now you have the kit.

They only made 30 of those kits, and they were available exclusively through Guitar Center.

phil-drummer

SGarrett":2ohue6h5 said:
phil-drummer":2ohue6h5 said:
Why not? People spend $400,000 on cars.
if i cud afford $400,000 id buy seriously cool shit, i see your point tho.