or stage fright
we have the song down....okay
i need just advice

its at our school

its in 2 weeks!

MasterShake89

relax.

play as loud as is needed.

nail the song down tight, know it inside out, that way you dont have to think about "oh shit is a change coming up? did i miss a fill?" itll just be there for you if u truly know it.

playing live stuff is fun after u get over the initial fright! enjoy it!

Musicfreak15678

Have confidence in yourself. Tell yourself you can do it. You obviously have done this because you wanted to. So, go show people why you play drums. Go out and have some fun man. Just feel the song. Make sure you know it in and out so you can be in the zone. Obviously, I'm not one for inspirational speeches.

Bluestonered

Shit...its been 10 years since I left school. And I can still remember my 1st performance infront of 800 students. Talk about a high-pressure debut. All these people you know and some you hate, looking at you, judging you, waiting for you to fuck up! Well if its nerves you're worried about my suggestion is not to drink too much caffine before hand, you'll want to go to the toliet over and over. Put up a mental brickwall infront of the stage. You cant see past that wall and nobody can see through that wall to you. Now you're not alone up there. there is the rest of the band, so if the ship sinks then you don't drown alone! If you know the song in rehearsals, don't get cocky, just treat it like another rehearsal, there's nothing different this time you play it to last time.....

Good Luck mate!

hovis21

Pretend there's no one else in the room but you and the band.

Hard to do as most of us suffer from nerves at some point but it's the best i can suggest. If you can play the song then don't sweat it too much and go out and show the crowd how good you are.

Oh, and pretend any mistakes are intentional...

trstn

I just have listened to that song, I actually don't know this band. But I say, don't hit it too hard, relax but don't loose tightness. It's a slow song and unexperience often leads to much much accelerated tempi.

Try sitting down at your drums and just start playing this song a few times, try to find out how it comes to you naturally. Do you have the possibility to rehearse on the stage you perform? Sit down alone and play the whole thing solo a few times.

Ha .. stage fright? Fright? Thats a missconception. It's the inner power (the force! :) ) you need to perform, the hard part is to learn how to channel that power into your hands :D a good warming up does this job. And try not to get too much distracted by other things before show.

go for it, have fun, it's the best thing you can have as a musician.
rock
trstn

drumschick07

RELAX! Its going to be alright. Just have fun with it, thats what drumming is all about. You'll do fine, just warm up really well be for the show. Just like the other guy said, don't drink pop :] After you start playing for a minute you'll relax a lot and feel just like you do @ practice.

Good Luck :]

mortem

I'm a pretty nervous person, but when it comes to drumming at gigs, I have absolutely no fright at all.. why? Self-confidence. Just rehearse the song enough times, go out there and rock out man. Show them what you're made of.

pearldrummer_05

i play for my school just about every week and its only hard if you think about it, as long as the kids get into it like most of the kids at my school are gangsters, so they dont like the rock sound our band has but the other kids get really into it, just relax play as loud as you feel without destroying your set, after your finished youll be fine, people will comment and that feels cool

infiznitch

seandude":ubyo5y27 said:
its Possum Kingdom by The Toadies

what adcice can i get?

like about playing hard or sonft
or stage fright
i need just advice

its at our school

its in 2 weeks!
well bud, i just suggest playing it with a click track/metronome/the actual song over the next two weeks. If you do that, then when you play it live, keeping the tempo willl be a piece o' cake.
okay so priority list for this song
#1 keep the tempo
#2 dynamics! You don't want to play the same volume the whole time. Try adding a build at the end where they have the solo you know? yea, just come down there, and then slowly crescendo
#3 hit all the beat changes; while they are very minute, they will ad flavor to the song. i.e. all the hi hat swells. Also you could try adding some stops (grabbing the cymbals right after you crash) it catches people's attention trust me.
#4 COME IN STRONG. If you are kicking ass right off the bat, then the audience will be more forgiving when you make a little mistake!
#5 rock the fuck out! If you're not into the music, how can expect the audience to be? just have as much fun as possible and everyone else will too!

Hope my advice helped you bud, lemme know how the performance goes!!

quikstang2

Get loose man. Chill out. Don't worry about it. Do your job: lay down the tempo, nail the transitions and have fun. You know the song. You know how the dude plays it. Just go have fun man. That's what playing at school is for. I was fairly nervous at my first school deal but half way through the intro I realized it was no different than practice, except there was a lead guitarist whom I had never met, and it turned out great.

Just roll with it man.

Gaddabout

seandude":2jc17cey said:
its Possum Kingdom by The Toadies

what adcice can i get?

like about playing hard or sonft
or stage fright
i need just advice

its at our school

its in 2 weeks!
You're obviously practicing, so whatever comfort zone you're putting yourself in there to get through the song fine, that's where you should take yourself mentally before you play.

Just you and the band in the practice room. Tune all that other stuff out. You can't do anything different to change the crowd's reaction, right? If you just play the song, it'll go over great.

Just you and the band in the practice room, having fun, damn the rest of the world's opinion. That's rock-and-roll bud!

DrummerSnake

The nice thing about being a drummer is that, as opposed to an "out front" singer, guiter or bass player, you have the option to tune the audience out and just play. The other guys are tasked with putting on a show - you just keep the beat. Then, when you're comfortable, put on your own show and embarass the guys in the band...

nickbaldwin

DrummerSnake":9nd21j1v said:
The nice thing about being a drummer is that, as opposed to an "out front" singer, guiter or bass player, you have the option to tune the audience out and just play. The other guys are tasked with putting on a show - you just keep the beat. Then, when you're comfortable, put on your own show and embarass the guys in the band...
Another good thing about being a drummer is you can change the beat around, whereas singers have to keep the lyrics the same, guitarists have to keep the chords the same, although there is freedom in solo sections, to a degree....