My first "gig".

jasondrums

So, last weekend I get a call "Hey Jason, this is Kyle. Umm, our bassist won't be around next Friday, want to fill in?" So I did, and the only time I could get with them to learn the stuff was the day of the show. So I get to school this morning (the show was tonight), and Kyle says, "Hey, our drummer got caught with drugs, I don't think he can make it." I'm sure my eyes lit up like candles because I was super excited...

Anyways, after school the guys informed me that practice was cancelled and I had to just "wing it". Amazing. So I get up on stage tonight not even knowing what the other guitarist name was and played my first show, and I have to say... it's the only way to do it.

Rockaflodge

glade you got to play your frist show, but winging it, is ok if the show is not that big but when you play show for over 5000 people I would not suggest it. My band opened for breaking benjamin a few month ago and MAN you got to know whats going on when you in front of 5000 + people. you always feel better about a show when you know what to play, when to play and when to stop. but now you know what its like to play out, its the best feeling in world, its a high drugs could never give you.

Rockaflodge

Well dude we all hade to start somewhere, My frist gig was at a bar that had 10 old people in it and the whole night one of the old guys was like " Play freebird ".

jasondrums

Ah, man... Can't wait, my actual band just booked the bar next door to the club I was at last night... yee haw.

Zim

Rockaflodge":2e1sveuf said:
Well dude we all hade to start somewhere, My frist gig was at a bar that had 10 old people in it and the whole night one of the old guys was like " Play freebird ".
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND I HATE PLAYING "FREEBIRD"

zen_drummer

Zim":3h84wkec said:
I feel you pain, man... When somebody requests "PLAY FREEBIRD" they might as well be standing up and shouting "HEY LOOK AT ME, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO TASTE IN MUSIC, WHO WANTS TO GO 4 WHEELIN' ?"

Wow, I just amused myself with that!

So any way, my first paid gig was with a little jazz combo of guys from my Jr. High School. It was sax, bass, drums, guitar and fender rhodes and we played at an ELKS club Chicken Bar-B-Q, there was about 40 people there. Most of them were kind enough to applaud, and we got pad 25 bucks, not 25 bucks per man, 25 bucks for the WHOLE BAND! We each took home 5 bucks. We were thrilled!

dinovalentino

My first gig... 1984.. 15 yrs old... My neighbor was a drummer for some OLD polka guy, I mean like, 85 yrs old. My neighbor didn't want to play some New Years Eve gig (because it SUCKED) and gave it to me. Well, at the time I was into Van Halen and the like. Anyway, It was ALL POLKAS. Some other "kid" maybe 18 yrs old was playing bass, and this old dude was playing the button box. I had no idea what I was doing. Rehearsal? HA HA HA HA HA !!!! Nope. I showed up (dad had to drive me) and the old dude said, "Now, you a cross a you arms a like a dis." A 1, and a 2.. The audience.. about 16 or 17 100 year old people. Nobody moved all night..UNTILL............ Old dude, who thus far had only sang in Polish, announced, "it's a time a for a tha Chicken a Dance." I had no idea what the freakin Chicken Dance was! Anyway, I am ready for old guy to start, but we had to wait, because the nursing staff had to help all of the codgers out to the dance floor, where they assembled in a circle for the "a chicken a dance-a." .... And a one and a two. (EVERYONE SING!) Bud-a bud-a bud-a bump bud-a bud-a bud-a bump bud-a bud-a bud-a bump- cluck cluck cluck cluck.... AHHHHHH!!! I want to be a heavy metal drummer!! AHHHH!!!!!!! But I made $200 and at the age of 15, that made it all OK!

Thanks for listening!!

Stimpy

I actually just played my firsts gig on thursday. Our mates band went first n got a great reception, there were quite a few people all packed in the pub. After their set the bouncer started ID'ing people so by the time we got on stage half of the crowd had been kicked out lol. I didnt mind tho it helped alot with my nerves and after the second song i was really into it. Now i just want to play more and more gigs.

bubnjar-pula

I played recenly my first ''gig'' in fornt of lie 200 people in a dico place as a blink tribute band (with our song included) and I can tell you that it went relatevly well considering the fact that we had only two reversals as a whole band cause we live in different cities....the crowd loved us andcalled us to lay again as soon as possible....just enjoy jour gig and have fun BUT play it well

LTlineman75

idk if this counts, but my first gigs were w/ the band at summer camp (lots of different instruments) and we would go around playin for other camps on sundays and then on the last day we would play infront of the camp and all the parents (3000 people approx.)

XIxPxGX

my 1st gig was at my bros going away party we did some covers and i think did well i had to play with 2 kids ive never played with before and i was kinda nervous. and also had to pick up double bass pedal for the party. if you dont count that i played at this youth center for like 10-20 people i was pissed the 1st band left and we're not from that area so they brought most of the crowd with them

Flatliner

zen_drummer":2nwtfz5p said:
Zim":2nwtfz5p said:
I feel you pain, man... When somebody requests "PLAY FREEBIRD" they might as well be standing up and shouting "HEY LOOK AT ME, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO TASTE IN MUSIC, WHO WANTS TO GO 4 WHEELIN' ?"
Boy do I hear you.

Shalaq

dinovalentino":18vf0ufw said:
My first gig... 1984.. 15 yrs old... My neighbor was a drummer for some OLD polka guy, I mean like, 85 yrs old. My neighbor didn't want to play some New Years Eve gig (because it SUCKED) and gave it to me. Well, at the time I was into Van Halen and the like. Anyway, It was ALL POLKAS. Some other "kid" maybe 18 yrs old was playing bass, and this old dude was playing the button box. I had no idea what I was doing. Rehearsal? HA HA HA HA HA !!!! Nope. I showed up (dad had to drive me) and the old dude said, "Now, you a cross a you arms a like a dis." A 1, and a 2.. The audience.. about 16 or 17 100 year old people. Nobody moved all night..UNTILL............ Old dude, who thus far had only sang in Polish, announced, "it's a time a for a tha Chicken a Dance." I had no idea what the freakin Chicken Dance was! Anyway, I am ready for old guy to start, but we had to wait, because the nursing staff had to help all of the codgers out to the dance floor, where they assembled in a circle for the "a chicken a dance-a." .... And a one and a two. (EVERYONE SING!) Bud-a bud-a bud-a bump bud-a bud-a bud-a bump bud-a bud-a bud-a bump- cluck cluck cluck cluck.... AHHHHHH!!! I want to be a heavy metal drummer!! AHHHH!!!!!!! But I made $200 and at the age of 15, that made it all OK!

Thanks for listening!!
OMG it's so cool to read such a story!
The dance is called "Kaczuchy" in Polish, so it should be called the Duck Dance- very popular here on weddings etc but I hate it anyways :)
Here's a video of some Polish girls dancing to it- you can hear the bada-bump and the choreography :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcQ_QRQmujM

broozer

"winging" it has it's place, but i wouldn't suggest it early on in your career. it just all depends on the gig situation. tonight in fact i have i picked up a church gig and i have never met anyone i'm playing with nor have i heard any of the music, BUT in this circumstance it's not so bad. the people that hired me know it's last minute so i just have to do my best. it's really all you can do on last minute gigs.

bruce

sobie

My first paying bar gig was at the Falcon Club (R.I.P) here in the Motor City - the headliner didn't show up so the bar refunded everyone's $3 dollar cover after we had played our set to all our friends. Everyone went home and we got paid $3 so obviously someone left before they announced the headliner wasn't coming. The bassist went home, me and the guitarist/singer split the $3.00 and we got a cup of coffee. Despite that it was a great time and I've been hooked ever since and 10 years later I'm still at it!

Deanoatc

Thats cool man, I used to wing it a lot too. Just because I knew the songs though. They were all covers, and I never played them with some bands. I got pretty well known just for winging it until I didn't know a song, then it was Obvious I was winging it. Practice makes perfect buddy. Do that and your experience on stage will be 100 times better. Good luck.