My drum teacher dude is a god on drums, here is why:

God drummer?

• Yahhhhh!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hell no! He is teh suxxor, Joey Jordison is sooo much hardcore better! (needs to learn about drummin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

anavrinIV

hes good but theres just too much sound going on at once for me to get past half way through the video....and the riding the jam block with a pedal in the first video is so friggin annoying to listen to, plus it destracts from the rest of his playing imo. id rather hear him clicking the hihats and playing the hihat part on the snare.

phoenix7289

anavrinIV":2hvvvfa8 said:
hes good but theres just too much sound going on at once for me to get past half way through the video....and the riding the jam block with a pedal in the first video is so friggin annoying to listen to, plus it destracts from the rest of his playing imo. id rather hear him clicking the hihats and playing the hihat part on the snare.
Called prog stuff... and the mutli-beat stuff. Yes the jam black with the kicker can be annoying... but you get used to it. Trust me, in person it's way worse. XD But his drumming is just superb... to be able to do what he does... wow.

dave lynch

His stuff is based towards Salsa rythems...I think that is a great place for anyone to learn...Your teacher is hot, but take it and also continue to listen to salsa and find other folks to teach it to you as well..Salsa music is very senstive meaning you need to be in copliance with the rest of the percussionest..They get real testy if you get off time..Although that is the case with music all around..Now I should get of my ass and learn some...One of the beast styles in he world..!!

Howepirate

Umm couldnt really stand it. Hes good i guess but his kit sounds like buttrock and whatnot. Idk its just a major turnoff when a good drummer makes a bad sound you know?

phoenix7289

Howepirate":n8ljcorb said:
Umm couldnt really stand it. Hes good i guess but his kit sounds like buttrock and whatnot. Idk its just a major turnoff when a good drummer makes a bad sound you know?
Oh I know... but he's got all these plans for his business and shit, and he'll be replacing that kit in 2008 with a Tama Starclassic of some kind, and the cymbals will either be high-end Paistes or A Custom Zildjians. The local Sam Ash just can't stand how he won't buy any new shit right now, but eh, he's got plans... and he has PLENTY of money... so I can't wait to see what it'll be like when he has some really nice shit!

Howepirate

phoenix7289":ixveo8wg said:
Howepirate":ixveo8wg said:
Oh I know... but he's got all these plans for his business and shit, and he'll be replacing that kit in 2008 with a Tama Starclassic of some kind, and the cymbals will either be high-end Paistes or A Custom Zildjians. The local Sam Ash just can't stand how he won't buy any new shit right now, but eh, he's got plans... and he has PLENTY of money... so I can't wait to see what it'll be like when he has some really nice shit!
Absolutely awesome. I cant wait to hear what he sounds like on that new set! Ive played a couple of starclassics and LOVED the tone that comes from em.

Those asians can do anything man.

phoenix7289

Howepirate":3emlympa said:
phoenix7289":3emlympa said:
Howepirate":3emlympa said:
Absolutely awesome. I cant wait to hear what he sounds like on that new set! Ive played a couple of starclassics and LOVED the tone that comes from em.

Those asians can do anything man.
Yah they can... and so can he. ^_^

dave lynch

Howepirate":19hnmdoh said:
You have a point, but someone can have many teachers..This teacher can maybe teach him a couple of things that will help him...Another teacher can teach him some tuning and a cat hanging out on a street corner collecting nickles and dimes playin plastic buckets can teach him something else...don't know how much he's payin the guy and that can come into play but he can get stuff out of him other than the sound of his drums...it would be nice for him to have the whole package but really who knows what that is ? An example would be..Do you only listen and practice what let's say Steve Gadd does ? Or do you listen to Steve Gadd, Steve Smith and so on..My advise is get this teachers strengths and go get some other peoples strenghts..Oh yeah..Don't forget to build on your own strenghts..that's the most important !! Aww..just my .02 Now it's time for me to practice what I preach..LOL

phoenix7289

dave lynch":2ktqi0ph said:
Howepirate":2ktqi0ph said:
You have a point, but someone can have many teachers..This teacher can maybe teach him a couple of things that will help him...Another teacher can teach him some tuning and a cat hanging out on a street corner collecting nickles and dimes playin plastic buckets can teach him something else...don't know how much he's payin the guy and that can come into play but he can get stuff out of him other than the sound of his drums...it would be nice for him to have the whole package but really who knows what that is ? An example would be..Do you only listen and practice what let's say Steve Gadd does ? Or do you listen to Steve Gadd, Steve Smith and so on..My advise is get this teachers strengths and go get some other peoples strenghts..Oh yeah..Don't forget to build on your own strenghts..that's the most important !! Aww..just my .02 Now it's time for me to practice what I preach..LOL
Nice thought. I'll just tell you, these are two videos, that only represent a minuscule amount of things my teacher can teach people about. He'll teach people how to tune, he can teach them many patterns on the drumpad, which he does. btw, $35/hour lesson.

dave lynch

phoenix7289":otfsyys3 said:
dave lynch":otfsyys3 said:
Howepirate":otfsyys3 said:
Nice thought. I'll just tell you, these are two videos, that only represent a minuscule amount of things my teacher can teach people about. He'll teach people how to tune, he can teach them many patterns on the drumpad, which he does. btw, $35/hour lesson.[/quotyeah that's my point..Sorry if it seemed like I was puting his sound down..really I wasn't...I can tell he has much to offer...I guess I get amazed that folks worry about the way something sounds from some little video cam and use that to detemine if someone is worthy...I remember when I taped a practice on a ghetto blaster and someone wanted to hear it..I explained that it won't sound good cuz of the quality of the recording..That person stated that it doesn't matter..so I played it and the 1st thing I heard was.."that doesn't sound right, it sounds like noise " LOL...Anyway I hope you get alot out of your teacher, but do remember this..Build on your strenghts and add to them as you go...Now once again it's time for me to practice what I preach....Seeings I goofed off for so many years..Haha

xKELDORx

no to flame...but 1.

stop trying to say he is some sort of god drummer.
dont get me wrong he is pretty good.
but iv seen waaayyy better..

and if you really think he is a god drummer.
you must not listen to a lot of other drummers.

Hack_and_Slash

anavrinIV":1pstrb7i said:
Agreed 100%

dahlgrendrummer

My old drum teacher Keith MacMicheal blew my mind just tapping on a practice pad. He was one of Joe Morello's prodigies. Your teacher is pretty good, a lot of stuff going on!

break the prism

i remember my band instructor from high school was a trumpet player who said he dabbled in drumming 'a little bit'. then i walked into the band room and he was on drums with our bass player and they were playing a herbie hancock tune. he had some of the best chops i've ever seen, not to mention a solid sense of groove and swing. he was such a quiet, reserved guy but when he got behind a kit he was a totally different person, jamming out on some funk.

xdoseonex

hes good but hes not god, my teacher would tear him to shreds, but you dont see me posting videos of him saying hes god

BillRayDrums

The guy has good motor skills. He has good ideas. Obviously he spends many hours developing such skills. Is this skillset going to help him in his endeavor? If his business is impressing other drummers then by all means he has a goldmine underneath him.

Will this get him a gig? Maybe. But with great power comes great responsibility and those same "killer chops" could very well get him fired if it's used incessantly and inappropriately. Then someone like me takes over the gig and gets to hear "Thanks for playing a simple beat. It used to be a constant drum solo back there".

What do I think of him? He is good at what he does... I would like to hear his groove though, as in how he approaches a walk-in gig. Would I call him to sub a gig? Again, I'd want to see him groove first. So definitely maybe. :)

Gotta say though...that face pinching thing was great to learn-kept myself awake during the church gig...sort of.