my band only tends to play 4/4 6/8 and 12/8 n im stuck

phil-drummer

im not blaming the guitarists for not knowing enuff cool time signatures n wotever cuz its all fun to play to BUT, im running out of new beats and fills to play , especially the beats part as its a prog/death metal band n theres no room for latin cowbell grooves :cry:

so i was hoping you guys would spit out sum info on how to get around playin the same dull beats n fits in a way that doesnt make the song sound completely out of sync.

and just cuz i feel like it , heres my band

http://tinyurl.com/yu3kup

pphunk

phil-drummer":2ro9wmn5 said:
im not blaming the guitarists for not knowing enuff cool time signatures n wotever cuz its all fun to play to BUT, im running out of new beats and fills to play , especially the beats part as its a prog/death metal band n theres no room for latin cowbell grooves :cry:

so i was hoping you guys would spit out sum info on how to get around playin the same dull beats n fits in a way that doesnt make the song sound completely out of sync.

and just cuz i feel like it , heres my band

http://tinyurl.com/yu3kup

You can always try placing the accents differently. Or do what we do, at practice call out a time signature and jam on it until something sweet comes out. Try 5/4, 7/4...etc etc. we recently wrote a practice jam that goes from 4/4 to 5/4 to 7/4 to 6/8 to 7/8 to 9/8 to 10/8 and then back down. Stuff like that is pretty easy for drummers who are used to messing around with odd times, but guitarists and bass players may not be that practiced at it so that could be why they don't write anything in those time signatures, they just don't have the experience with it for their minds to imagine parts like that.

phil-drummer

yeh thats kinda wot the problem is, theyve never been shown how to play odd times, im sure they cud figure it out for themselves with enough time but its probly easier for them to wirte in even time. ah well, ill try accents

keep the advice coming cuz its all gud

pphunk

phil-drummer":w8jx9e9z said:
yeh thats kinda wot the problem is, theyve never been shown how to play odd times, im sure they cud figure it out for themselves with enough time but its probly easier for them to wirte in even time. ah well, ill try accents

keep the advice coming cuz its all gud

Oh yeah man, we were having the same problem about two or three years ago. Everything we wrote was in 4/4 or 6/8. Finally i said enough was enough and i told our guitarist that i wanted him to write something in 7/4. He hated it, as do most people who all of a sudden find out they aren't as awesome as they thought they were. But after he started to catch on he became obssessed with trying every time signature under the sun. Now there are times when i have to remind him that playing crazy time signatures, while they may make you seem talented, don't always fit the mood you're trying to put forth with the song.

break the prism

counting in odd signatures is really just a matter of math. add three beats to a 4/4 rhythm and you've got 7/4. for a basic beat just tell them to count 4/4 and 3/4 together. 1 2 3 4 1 2 3

dahlgrendrummer

I have the opposite problem, our singer writes a bit of the riffs and he is odd time/phrase/etc etc OBSESSED. To the point where it makes things awkward and not musical for the sake of being odd sounding. I usually just coach him into fixing the riffs to make them sound less like a broken wagon on bumpy road. We have this one part in a newer song that is in 17/8, it's great watching guitarists we are trying out wrap they're heads around that. I play a lot fills and weird shit in it too, hahaha.

SGarrett

dahlgrendrummer":29b23xl8 said:
I have the opposite problem, our singer writes a bit of the riffs and he is odd time/phrase/etc etc OBSESSED. To the point where it makes things awkward and not musical for the sake of being odd sounding. I usually just coach him into fixing the riffs to make them sound less like a broken wagon on bumpy road. We have this one part in a newer song that is in 17/8, it's great watching guitarists we are trying out wrap they're heads around that. I play a lot fills and weird shit in it too, hahaha.
Oooh. That's exactly what I hate about people who are "creative" just for the sake of being "original". Stop trying to play complex stuff that doesn't fit and just play music.

Rothwulf

I've got a related but opposite problem: as a beginning drummer I'm having my own trouble breaking out of 4/4, 6/8, and related rhythms. Does anyone have suggestions for good accents or beats to try and learn...any advice in the subject would be appreciated.
Thanks

phil-drummer

Rothwulf":1u93i21r said:
I've got a related but opposite problem: as a beginning drummer I'm having my own trouble breaking out of 4/4, 6/8, and related rhythms. Does anyone have suggestions for good accents or beats to try and learn...any advice in the subject would be appreciated.
Thanks
my g/f once suggested that i try play 4/4 but accentin in different time signature, e.g accenting on every 5th beat or 7th beat of a 4 bar 4/4 simple phrase, gets ur brain thinkin wen u switch between different accents n time sigs. its a laff

shanemunzert

try listening to drummers that play just in 4/4. it'll help a lot. check out some guys like
Olly Peacock (Gomez)
Jessie Sandoval (The Shins)
They have some pretty nifty and creative stuff that really helped me out.

phil-drummer

shanemunzert":32bev2dt said:
try listening to drummers that play just in 4/4. it'll help a lot. check out some guys like
Olly Peacock (Gomez)
Jessie Sandoval (The Shins)
They have some pretty nifty and creative stuff that really helped me out.
thanks man, ill give em a listen