My advice on Flatfoot/Swivel vs Heel Toe

Flatfoot vs Heel Toe

• Flatfoot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heel Toe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TrunJun

Ok, I've been seeing a lot of drummers lately and playing with a lot of drummers lately who utilize both of the techniques (flatfoot and heel toe) and it is clearly to me who the more capable people are.

Since October I've gotten to see a lot of my local competition playing a consistant amount of shows. All of the people who utilize Heel Toe always get a rather floppy sound when doing higher speed material, similar to if you were to flatly double stroke on your toms. Heel Toe drumming takes a TON of practice to learn how to do properly, and once you DO learn how to do it properly, you only know how to do it properly with that pedal. Take for instance if you owned a set of Iron Cobra rolling glides and decided you were going to "upgrade" to axis pedals (i cant stand axis pedals personally, theyre flimsy and wont last you but maybe 4 months worth of touring if that, if youre using real flatfoot technique, without triggers), you would have to retrain your foot to compensate for the longer board. Learning to do flatfoot has an inherent advantage in this aspect, as you can play on your "sweet spot" where ever that may be, and when you upgrade or position yourself in different spots to compensate for newer cymbals/toms/bass drums/accessory pedals etc, you dont have to do much adjusting to get used to it (only really to the action of the pedal, which shouldnt take more than 20 or 30 minutes worth of jamming for practicing/touring metal players).

There are many examples of great drummers in my city who all use flatfoot, please do check them out and do convert to flatfoot and play real drumming!

(Chris Adler doesnt apply to this post, his heel toe is a timing technique, different than actual bass drum rolls)

www.myspace.com/elucidarius
www.myspace.com/murdercomesinrows
www.myspace.com/fifthsunfalls
www.myspace.com/murderingbabies
www.myspace.com/scalafrea

I hope this was helpful to atleast some who were up in the air about the subject. Sorry if I sounded scornful, I would just like to see everyone be the best that they can.

Keep it sick guys,
TrunJun (keeps it brutal :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )

Eiren

I made the switch from basic heel-up to swivel-foot, and it made a huge difference in both speed and stamina.

dahlgrendrummer

I still don't understand how people can call Axis pedals flimsy, they are made out of the same material a Boeing 747 is made out of, and those can't afford to be flimsy. I've busted up Iron Cobras, DWs, Pearl pedals, etc. I've broken ONE thing on my Axis pedals, the u-joint on the driveshaft, and they replaced it for FREE, no questions asked.

But anyways, on to the subject at hand. I play flat foot normally, I play swivel foot when I blast with one foot, and occasionally heel-toe for some quick little parts in our stuff.

Empyrean Drums

Uh, yeah, I've never really looked at other local bands as competition - If I wanted to compete I would have tried out for sports.
I upgraded my Iron Cobras for Axis A Longboards more then 5 years ago and they've functioned flawlessly. Plus you linked to Portz (who you say plays “flat foot”) who uses Axis. It kind of contradicts your assertion that they wouldn’t last 4 months.
As for the rest of your post, do whatever it takes but Heel Up is where it’s at for me.

TrunJun":1v7k7mqv said:
Ok, I've been seeing a lot of drummers lately and playing with a lot of drummers lately who utilize both of the techniques (flatfoot and heel toe) and it is clearly to me who the more capable people are.

Since October I've gotten to see a lot of my local competition playing a consistant amount of shows. All of the people who utilize Heel Toe always get a rather floppy sound when doing higher speed material, similar to if you were to flatly double stroke on your toms. Heel Toe drumming takes a TON of practice to learn how to do properly, and once you DO learn how to do it properly, you only know how to do it properly with that pedal. Take for instance if you owned a set of Iron Cobra rolling glides and decided you were going to "upgrade" to axis pedals (i cant stand axis pedals personally, theyre flimsy and wont last you but maybe 4 months worth of touring if that, if youre using real flatfoot technique, without triggers), you would have to retrain your foot to compensate for the longer board. Learning to do flatfoot has an inherent advantage in this aspect, as you can play on your "sweet spot" where ever that may be, and when you upgrade or position yourself in different spots to compensate for newer cymbals/toms/bass drums/accessory pedals etc, you dont have to do much adjusting to get used to it (only really to the action of the pedal, which shouldnt take more than 20 or 30 minutes worth of jamming for practicing/touring metal players).

There are many examples of great drummers in my city who all use flatfoot, please do check them out and do convert to flatfoot and play real drumming!

(Chris Adler doesnt apply to this post, his heel toe is a timing technique, different than actual bass drum rolls)

www.myspace.com/elucidarius
www.myspace.com/murdercomesinrows
www.myspace.com/fifthsunfalls
www.myspace.com/murderingbabies
www.myspace.com/scalafrea

I hope this was helpful to atleast some who were up in the air about the subject. Sorry if I sounded scornful, I would just like to see everyone be the best that they can.

Keep it sick guys,
TrunJun (keeps it brutal :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )

TrunJun

Empyrean Drums said:
Uh, yeah, I've never really looked at other local bands as competition - If I wanted to compete I would have tried out for sports.
I upgraded my Iron Cobras for Axis A Longboards more then 5 years ago and they've functioned flawlessly. Plus you linked to Portz (who you say plays “flat foot”) who uses Axis. It kind of contradicts your assertion that they wouldn’t last 4 months.
As for the rest of your post, do whatever it takes but Heel Up is where it’s at for me.

Yeah, and did you know hes replacing his pedals? (i dont know if he already has, but hes getting black longboards). I probably talk to jeremy on a more often basis than you do, and yes hes a sick drummer. For the record, my iron cobra power glides i've owned for more than 6 years, can play pretty much what i attempt on them, and i've never had to replace a part. I've seen people who use axis pedals have to replace tons of parts and go through a ton of extra bs (albeit it is free bs) to have functioning axis. but this isnt a post about IC vs Axis so im done ranting

Empyrean Drums

TrunJun":22ijsr0q said:
Empyrean Drums":22ijsr0q said:

Yeah, and did you know hes replacing his pedals? (i dont know if he already has, but hes getting black longboards). I probably talk to jeremy on a more often basis than you do, and yes hes a sick drummer. For the record, my iron cobra power glides i've owned for more than 6 years, can play pretty much what i attempt on them, and i've never had to replace a part. I've seen people who use axis pedals have to replace tons of parts and go through a ton of extra bs (albeit it is free bs) to have functionin axis. but this isnt a post about IC vs Axis so im done ranting
I'm sure you're his #1 fan.
For the record, I had IC for a number of years and never had any problems yet have heard numerous third-hand internet accounts of them (and just about every other pedal) breaking in half, falling apart etc.....almost always from younger drummers who have never actually owned (or even seen a pair.
And for a post not about Axis, you sure did use alot of space bitching about Axis....
I just don't get the insane brand loyalty, every major vendor has quality merch (and none of it will really make you play any better)
Maybe it comes from this imaginary sense of competition.