Musicians Institute your feelings about it

drumguy21

i am planning to study At Musicians institute and i was wondering what are your feelings of the school and does it really help you that well with getting out there as a professional musician

Multibomber

You come out being a badass mofo. Think about it. You spend 2 years doing nothing but drumming... of course its gonna be positive.

l_e_i_g_h

I like this part:

"You spend 2 years doing nothing but drumming... of course its gonna be positive."

Couldn't be better said. :D

Some say you don't need to go to a school to learn the things that you need to be a better musician...but sometimes...focus...is very important...and what better way to focus...than to immerse yourself in an environment that fosters that kind of development.

Multibomber":i1cr69h1 said:
You come out being a badass mofo. Think about it. You spend 2 years doing nothing but drumming... of course its gonna be positive.

rlrrll

When I went there (1989) it was only one year. I wish it had been longer -- there is so much going on all the time that I always felt like I was missing stuff.

I don't know how it is now, but back then the staff was incredible (Houghton, Humphry,Joe Pacarro, Casey Shcuerell (sp), Tas Panos). Most of those guys are gone, but have been replaced by graduates like Ray Luzier (David Lee Roth Band).

I'd say to make as many friends and connections there as possible - both students and teachers. Play with others as much as possible. It's easy to spend 98% of your time in the practice room while there. Casey S. used to say they we shoeld "be in the hot seat as much as possible".

And finally, don't go south of Hollywood Blvd. or East of the 101 freeway if you know whats good for you!!

tc in lbc

Gaddabout

drumguy21":167if18t said:
i am planning to study At Musicians institute and i was wondering what are your feelings of the school and does it really help you that well with getting out there as a professional musician
It will be whatever you make of it. If you just want to learn how to shred, you can learn how to do that in most metropolitan areas with the right instructor. But if you're wanting to learn how to be a pro and play with some great musicians, MI can be the ideal place to learn. Just be prepared to be challenged -- by your taste in music, your abilities, and by other players in a very competitive environment.