Music Appreciation (An Actually useful thread)

Howepirate

What ya'll listening to right now? What kind of music are you appreciating? What bands that are sooo good to you, are just changing the way you feel about music in it's entirety?

Right now these are the bands that strike some of those chords:

Porcupine Tree (band that kind just float me out of my everyday anger)
Opeth (see above)
As I Lay Dying ("...I'd rather be called weak, than die thinking i was strong...")
The Black Dahlia Murder (speaks a lot of truth)
Live (lightning crashes...duh)
Killswitch Engage ( perfect music form, brutality, and beautiful, genuine, melodic music)
Stick To Your Guns (more truth)

SINISTER

Nile- Ithyphallic (george kollias is not human)
Amon Amarth- Versus The World (whats cooler than VIKINGS!)
Dimmu Borgir- in sorte diaboli (Hail Satan)
Decapitated- Winds Of Creation (RIP)
The Doors- full circle/other voices (the only two put out after morrison, still some great great songs)
Tom Green- Prepare For Impact (tom green is fuking hilarious)
THE MENTORS- Up The Dose/You Axed For It (shock rock at its funest with great musicianship, sick lyrics and sleezyness)

peripsy

very nice thought Howepirate.
Right now i am listening symphony x "paradise lost" I think i love it
also opeth melodies and ozric tentacles change my point of view.I began to appreciate bands in the early 70' s playing psychedelic rock after that(gong ,eloy)
at last my favorite album for a year was situation dangerous (bozzio levin stevens)

GiveItAll

Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
The Misfits - Static Age
Senses Fail - Still Searching
Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture
Life Of Agony - River Runs Red

SmellsLikeIan

peripsy":2sqborx2 said:
very nice thought Howepirate.
Right now i am listening symphony x "paradise lost" I think i love it
also opeth melodies and ozric tentacles change my point of view.I began to appreciate bands in the early 70' s playing psychedelic rock after that(gong ,eloy)
at last my favorite album for a year was situation dangerous (bozzio levin stevens)
GONG!!!!

hell yeah for freaky French psychedelic prog! I absolutely love Radio Gnome Invisible...

Lately I've been chilling out on some dub style reggae (King Tubby, Eek A Mouse)
Older Pink Floyd (live at pompeii)
Queen's weirder stuff like "Bicycle" and "Radio"
Also some of the good "roots rock/hard country" stuff like Cross Canadian Ragweed
A lot of classic rock (the more obscure but really cool stuff, like Robin Trower, Grand funk Railroad-2nd album, Trapeze.)
And some of the newer wave of classic rock from the late 80s, early nineties like The Traveling Wilburys, Little Village, The Black Crowes
Some of the eighties retro synth stuff (Flock of Seagulls, Howard Jones, The Fixx)
Herbie Hancock's Headhunters albums
Jamiroquai
And of course, Ween!-All Ween is great!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

king_friday

against me!
alkaline trio
fake problems
reverend horton heat
the kings of nothing
social distortion
Rancid
the violent femmes

Brother_Bong

The Faceless
Lamb of God (finally they will be in Maine on Dec.1-fuckin right)
S.T.D.- (my band from a few years ago)
Supertramp
Candiria

TheYardstick

SGarrett":18kqvvsi said:
I'm digging on Stone Sour and Red right now.
Roy Mayorga is pretty fucking amazing.

For me right now it's anything by Tool, later Death, Control Denied, Testament, Sindrome, Decapitated, and Inner Threshold.

Howepirate

You know... I love a ton of styles of music. You literally can't say you listen to rock or metal anymore. Theres wayyy to much behind those these days.

Go ahead, try and put Opeth somewhere in between just those 2. They can NOT describe the music at all. At sometimes its wayyy light and sometimes its wayy brutal and it's always melodically and musically, well-composed.

I love music guys... I may not like what you like but i promise deep-down, i really do respect it.

Drumosaurus

let's see....basically just avenged sevenfold "city of evil" because thats the CD i have in my portable CD player right now

cableman26

Howepirate":kofabtbp said:
You know... I love a ton of styles of music. You literally can't say you listen to rock or metal anymore. Theres wayyy to much behind those these days.

Go ahead, try and put Opeth somewhere in between just those 2. They can NOT describe the music at all. At sometimes its wayyy light and sometimes its wayy brutal and it's always melodically and musically, well-composed.

I love music guys... I may not like what you like but i promise deep-down, i really do respect it.
word. I was just listening to Soldier of Fortune.

Brother_Bong

Drumosaurus":1i52gdhy said:
let's see....basically just avenged sevenfold "city of evil" because thats the CD i have in my portable CD player right now
*don't tell anyone, but I love that disk*

Howepirate

Bong":c4ogyexd said:
Drumosaurus":c4ogyexd said:
Never be ashamed, Bong. Fuck taboo and what's hip :wink:

Brother_Bong

Howepirate":qqo6yqed said:
Bong":qqo6yqed said:
Drumosaurus":qqo6yqed said:
Never be ashamed, Bong. Fuck taboo and what's hip :wink:
No bro, I was joshin on that one....I love that disk. The rev kicks it well. And, while I have you here, give me more info on Saludas, I'm real interested.