Multiple Rides?

vargasdrumbeast

I was just wondering peoples opinions on multiple ride cymbals, if they do use more than one, and what kind if they do?

My friend plays Jazz/Funk/Blues and he has two rides, one by his hi-hat and one by his floor tom

zen_drummer

I have two rides...

One is an old wuhan that is really thick and pingy with rivets in it and the other is a 22" Ancient Avedis Zildjian

Shalaq

My primary ride is a 22 Agop Pasha ride. Not so loud, but powerfull, bright attack but with dark overtones. Great sound when played with a nylon tip.
My secondary ride is a 20 Agop sizzle ride. Very sizzly washy etc etc. I use it for softer textures and as a big crash.

pphunk

vargasdrumbeast":2uwiz9jy said:
I was just wondering peoples opinions on multiple ride cymbals, if they do use more than one, and what kind if they do?
I use two, a 22" zildjian K Custom Ride and a 22" A Medium Ride. The K has a great ping but not as much wash, the A the exact opposite. I was too lazy to find one cymbal that was good for both so i just use two.

skdrummer

right now i only have 1, but i say 2-3
1 pingy
1 echoy
optional crash/ride

i have an echoy one that works fine for me
its whatever your preference is

ThunderofSukus

On my recording kit I use 4. Right now I have these on my kit for the current project. A 20" Meinl Raker Heavy Ride, 22" Paiste Alpha Rock Ride, 22" Sabian AA Rock Ride and Finally 21" Ziljian Z Custom Mega Bell.

I find it very handy to have a variety of sounds and in my defence I am never happy with certain parts of a ride sound. One might have a killer ping, but lacking in the bell, while another might have cutting power all around but I need something to blend in more with the music.

By Changing to a different ride, mid song, it can change the whole feel of the song. Much like changing to an aux snare for certain parts.

DrumminBari

I use a Zildjian 22 K Custom Session Ride and 22 Sabian Paragon. I rarely have them both on the set except in the studio, but its really nice when I have them both on.

vargasdrumbeast

DrumminBari":3ou7s6ar said:
I use a Zildjian 22 K Custom Session Ride and 22 Sabian Paragon. I rarely have them both on the set except in the studio, but its really nice when I have them both on.
Is that Paragon the neil Pert Signature one? I wanna know how its sounds

Thanks for all the info guys

DaveDWdrums

I have 3 different rides on my setup. I only have one set up at a time though.

Zildjian A 21" sweet ride: best ride for all around. Warm sound, distinctive bell, good crash sound with I would say medium decay

Zildjian A Custom 20" ride. bright sound, definitive ping sound, loud bell, great for rock. Plus I got it for only $90 when Mars Music was closing down :)

Zildjian K Custom 20" ride. I have never seen an other like it. Traditional finish on top, brilliant finish on the bottom. Great for jazz & funk. The bell and the rest of the ride mix well. Super heavy too.

DaveDWdrums

I just remembered of a drummer who only uses rides. I forgot her name but she is the drummer for Lenny Kravitz. Do a google search for her. You might find some info on her on the Zildjian website. She's sponsored by them.

The Heel

How the hell much stage room you get to set up three or four rides? Heh.

I've flirted with it, setting a 22" Custom K Dark ride on my left opposite my 22" A Custom Ping which is on my right... but I found myself either using it too much or just barely ever going to it at all.

With a gigging kit the last thing I need is to carry more giant cymbals than I absolutely have to.

Its nice, but I just dont feel its completely needed right now. Soon as I get some dependable roadies though... Its in. heh.

screamkevin

DaveDWdrums":2q5pl083 said:
I just remembered of a drummer who only uses rides. I forgot her name but she is the drummer for Lenny Kravitz. Do a google search for her. You might find some info on her on the Zildjian website. She's sponsored by them.
That is one of my drumming heroes, Cindy Blackman. I've got several of her solo CDs, including my favorite, "Code Red". She's one of the most unbelievable drummers on the planet. And yes, she only uses Ride cymbals currently.

Note: Cindy does not play much on Lenny's albums. Lenny plays most, if not all, of the instruments himself, and is quite a good drummer.

Cindy's current setup:

15" Zildjian K Hi Hats
20" Zildjian K Pre-Aged Light Dry Ride
24" Zildjian A Medium Ride
22" Zildjian K Ride

Shalaq

Ari Hoenig uses 2 rides- a canadian A (vintage) and a K left side ride.
I think the majority of multiple ride users are jazz etc drummers, because jazz highly depends on the ride sound, so you have to have many textures. Also, jazz rides make beautiful crash sounds :)

CASCINAIDRUMS

Multiple rides are awesome they sound killer
Like I said before, A Cymbal is like a note, more Cymbals,
more notes
I have two High-hats also for different timing and accents
yes the bomb ,,,,in your face progressive drumming
BONEFACE !!!!!
SHRED !!!!
YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING !!!
Peace bro !!!!

when i used to have 3 rack toms on my kit i had a 18" paiste signature ride just above the large tom near the floor tom and a crappy 20" ride i had from my first kit directly opposite next to the hi hats. it worked out really well but since now i have four rack toms and have slightly changed my cymbal setup there is no room for the old crappy ride. its no big deal but it was definately useful when i had it

Vetis

I drumtech for Jendeen ( search for her kit in the photo section ) and she uses two rides with her Metal kit. She uses them as a jazz drumer would use them ( or so I assume ) and it sounds AMAZING.

So when the cashflow becomes constant and I have a disposable income, I plan on putting a 2nd ride on my kit.

Mikkey

Three. I use a 22" Sabian Paragon ride as my main ride to my right and I have Zildjian K crash/ride slightly to my left above my main hats and then I have a 20" Paiste Rude crash/ride off above the other crashes. Even though I use the paragon one most the time I find that if I want a darker sound with tremendous wash I use the K. The paragon is interesting and as soon as I heard it I fell in love with it. The right amount of ping and a nice medium bright but not overpowering wash. From the outside to the inside you can get a lot of different sounds out of it. The bell is ridiculously loud too. Good character. If I want something more pingy and less nuanced I use the rude.

Jaki

yes.. i use 2 rides.. a 20inch and a 16inch crash ride.. tho its also good to have an 18inch crash with a very distinct bell on it

BreakFree04

I play a mix of styles. I'm currently in a jam band with other musicians with influences ranging from blues to jazz to funk to grunge.

I play a 6-piece Tama GranStar kit with a custom Yamaha Steel snare.

On my right side I have, as my primary ride, a 20" Zildjian A Custom Projection Ride. Mounted beside that is a 20" Zildjian A Custom Flat-Top Ride. On my left, above my hi-hats, is a [temporary] 22" Sabian AAX Rock Ride.

Scott_Hurford

i've only got one ride, which i have over the right side of my bass drum. i tryed hangiing my ride next to my hats the other day (to the right of my hats, next to the left side of my bass drum), and it adds a whole new element to my playing, so i'm thinking of buying another ride for tht element :p