Muffling

Fleabear

Just wondering on other perspectives on muffling. When I first started...I muffled the hell out of everything. Bascially....my drums could've been cardboard boxes...cause that's what they sounded like....wet cardboard boxes! I still have some foam at the bottom of my bass drum (s) and use a Zero-ring on the snare...only when needed..depending on the room. Other than that....nothing at all on any of the toms. I've found that with a good batter/resonant head combo...and proper tuning....that I find the sound I'm looking for. I've found over the years that players who needed to "excessively" muffle drums..that the issue was due to either poor tuning ability...poor head combos or condition....or sound guys who don't wanna take any more than 2 minutes to try and get a sound out of the drums. This is based on playing live...I know there are times in the studio that you need to do whatever it takes to make it sound good on playback...as quickly as possible. I'm partial to the wide open "live" drums....instead of dead "boxy" drums.

What does everybody else think.

Empyrean Drums

I don't use any muffling.
When I started using triggers I didn't want to lose my bass drum sound by packing them full of foam or pillows, so I made a small L-shaped muffle and bolted it to the inside of my bass drums that pinches the head between the trigger. It works great.

m

I don't like them muffled. They don't necessarily have to ring for days, but I don't personally care for the thudbox approach.
I guess it's just a preference thing though, there certainly seem to be lots of drummers who want the totally muffled sound.

Fleabear

Even when I triggered...I didn't muffle anything. I had no issues at all...even though everyone told me beforehand that I would have to muffle the hell out of them...deaden them as much as possible..etc, etc. I like the wide open sound myself....I think people cheat themselves when the essentially turn their drums into "cardboard boxes". I've just noticed that a lot of drummers prefer that flat, thuddy...no resonant sound...which I hate.
I know it's all down to personal preference...and every drummer should do whatever works for them. Just wondering on other's view points. Hell....way back when...when I started and couldn't tune for shit....I had pinstripes with 3/4'' weather stripping on the underside of the heads.....man..it was pitiful now that I think about it! :)

Empyrean Drums

Fleabear":3gw6uimv said:
Even when I triggered...I didn't muffle anything. I had no issues at all...even though everyone told me beforehand that I would have to muffle the hell out of them...deaden them as much as possible..etc, etc. I like the wide open sound myself....I think people cheat themselves when the essentially turn their drums into "cardboard boxes". I've just noticed that a lot of drummers prefer that flat, thuddy...no resonant sound...which I hate.
I know it's all down to personal preference...and every drummer should do whatever works for them. Just wondering on other's view points. Hell....way back when...when I started and couldn't tune for shit....I had pinstripes with 3/4'' weather stripping on the underside of the heads.....man..it was pitiful now that I think about it! :)
I hate running any kind of muffling too, but my triggers were falsing too much so I had to do something

Fleabear

Empyrean Drums":1dh8hqej said:
Fleabear":1dh8hqej said:
I hate running any kind of muffling too, but my triggers were falsing too much so I had to do something
What kind of triggers and brain were you using? I had some false trigger issues in the beginning...but once I tweaked them...things were fine.

SGarrett

I use two ply heads and occasionally a MoonGel. My kick has the SuperKickII and Regulator combo with the small pillow that came with my kit just barely touching both heads.

FelterSkelter

I like more attack tone and a quick decay. I've been trying to achieve this by just using different heads rather than muffling but, moongels always come in handy.

Rob Crisp

I like a deep thump but have never been one for lots of muffling! Right now, an O ring on the snare if neccessary, small pillow in the bass purely because the custom reso is so plasticky sounding and needs a lil' dampening.

I'd quite like to get the Neil Peart sound actually, love the sound of his drums. If anyone has an tips on achieving that please shout! :)