Moving Kick Drum

I have a real problem with my kick drum moving away from me while I play, and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could stop it from doing that. It gets to be somewhat of a problem live because my band has longer songs lol. I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem, and how could I fix it?

scrubs

Put it on a rubber pad.

I have the kaces crash pad, which has a wood block built-in that keeps the kick from moving.

m

I use the Kaces pad too. Just throw it on the stage, nothing to adjust or install- Bass stays put.

st3v3n

the kaces pad is great but a good tough rug will do just as well. especially if your pilot pedal has velcro. as long as your pedal is attached securely to your bass drum the velcro should hold the bass drum in place and it will never move away from you. cheap and cost effective.

B-RAD52

yea, i just have a black rug that i got at home depot...works perfectly...cept its starting to smell like beer.

Robot Jones Drums

I am working on getting a kaces, I have a rug right now, but it still doesn't keep it in position. I hit hard, but I'm working more on finesse control. I think sticking with the kaces is a smart choice if you're going to plan on hitting hard a lot, but if you want to develop a lot of control, I think a good rug will work fine.

I've had a rug for years but unfortunately it's never been able to really do the job. I'll definitely look into the pad and velcro; I also want to work on finesse, so that might help me too.

dob?

i have a regular ol blue rug from kmart, 25 bucks. :D my bass drum hasnt ever really moved though, i must have good spikes on the legs of my bass drum or something... :?

sp4zium

Kaces pad -> $40
Rug -> $5 at most stores
Me laughing at people for over complicating a simple problem -> priceless.

for everything else, there's bass leg spikes.

sp4zium":191tsjam said:
Kaces pad -> $40
Rug -> $5 at most stores

Believe me, if I hadn't tried that before, I wouldn't have made the post to get other people's opinions.

sp4zium

shirleythewerewolf":qn5q7kw1 said:
sp4zium":qn5q7kw1 said:
Kaces pad -> $40
Rug -> $5 at most stores

Believe me, if I hadn't tried that before, I wouldn't have made the post to get other people's opinions.
i just can't really see how a kaces mat will make any noticeable difference if the rug doesn't already work... i guess you could always duct tape your set to the ground if all else fails...

sp4zium":1h750o52 said:
shirleythewerewolf":1h750o52 said:
sp4zium":1h750o52 said:
Kaces pad -> $40
Rug -> $5 at most stores

i just can't really see how a kaces mat will make any noticeable difference if the rug doesn't already work... i guess you could always duct tape your set to the ground if all else fails...
I've even tried duct taping the legs of the kick drum to the legs of my drum rack, but that looked pretty odd lol. It's just irritating how I always have to pull my kick drum back towards me halfway through a song. If all else fails I'm not above plunking a cinder block in front of it on stage lol.

ratfinkdrummer

Why, I've always used a simple clamp on bass drum anchor. Most companies still make them, they just don't advertise it. Or look on ebay...you can find used Japanese ones really cheap, as the old 60s ones work better and are less obtrusive than the new ones. I don't know why drum manufacturers change things that are working perfectly...as my vintage Ludwigs have spurs that grab VERY well and never slip. Even my 50s Gretsch kick stays put. My 80s Tama's used to go everywhere but stay put, as have many other modern kits I've played.

dirk

I tried a lot of things. This thing is the best. 100$ well spent.
-->Protection Racket Drum Mat.
Holds my stuff like it is glued to the ground...

Eiren

Yeah, a big rubber mat has far more friction that a standard rug would.

I had the same problem as you, I play fast and hard on the kick and it used to gradually creep away from me.

A big rubber mat more or less solved this.

I would say the taking it further stage would be to start using a rack, and then brace your kick to the rack too.