Mounting cymbals

Sandbox

I know I'll probably be mocked for asking this question but how do I setup my stand...By that I mean mounting the cymbals- I don't want to risk damaging it so I want to get it right

What goes between the wing nut and then the arm stand

like what accessories are needed- felt, washer and where does everything go.

Timekeep69

There shold be a plastic sleeve with a base that goes onto the cymbal stand, then you put on a felt, thenthe cymbal, then another felt. Sometimes, not always, there's a washer and then the wing nut.

SGarrett

Here are some pictures for you.

Use this to adjust the tripod.

Use this to adjust the height of the stand, there'll be either one or two depending on stand quality.

If you have a boom stand, this adjusts the angle and extension of the boom arm.

Your stand will start like this. (That wing nut controls the angle of the cymbal post.)

Add the washer and cymbal sleeve. Important, always use a cymbal sleeve or your cymbals will be damaged.

Add the bottom felt.

Then add the cymbal, top felt, and wing nut.

The wing nut should be loose enough to allow plenty of free movement.

And finally, your cymbals should be angled slightly towards your throne (seat).

xdoseonex

i thikn you should use a washer. the wingnuts tend to dig into the felt without one and the wingnut can hit the cymbal

m

GrindheadJim":2b9ubyy7 said:
Here's a great alternative, and I can't imagine my life without 'em:

SLICKNUT pic snipped
you got that right! Felt and nut in one piece, and you don't have to screw it on.
No more crawling around searching for wingnuts on the drum carpet!
I love these things.

SGarrett

xdoseonex":3frz6zc5 said:
i thikn you should use a washer. the wingnuts tend to dig into the felt without one and the wingnut can hit the cymbal
I've never had that problem with a properly sized felt. When the felt was too thin, oh yeah.

xdoseonex

i tend to have a problem with my cymbals moving too much uness i have a washer seperating the felt and the wingnut. the felt starts to go around the bottom of the wingnut

xdoseonex

m":o2v2vxsk said:
GrindheadJim":o2v2vxsk said:
Here's a great alternative, and I can't imagine my life without 'em:

SLICKNUT pic snipped
you got that right! Felt and nut in one piece, and you don't have to screw it on.
No more crawling around searching for wingnuts on the drum carpet!
I love these things.
so you guys like the slicknuts? i think i'm gona get them. i just dont know enough pp that have used them to spend that much money on them

m

I think they're only about $6 at GC, I cleaned out my local one recently.
Well worth the price, if you load in and out a lot.

SGarrett

I like the Pearl WingLoc. My B1000 stand has it and it rocks. I've thought about getting them for the rest of my stands. I don't have any problems with my cymbals hitting the wing nuts, the wing nuts do tend to tighten up from the cymbals spinning.

GrindheadJim

SGarrett":gk3kfqud said:
I like the Pearl WingLoc. My B1000 stand has it and it rocks. I've thought about getting them for the rest of my stands. I don't have any problems with my cymbals hitting the wing nuts, the wing nuts do tend to tighten up from the cymbals spinning.
I've used those on the road, but I still prefer the Vater's for some reason.

m":gk3kfqud said:
I think they're only about $6 at GC, I cleaned out my local one recently.
Well worth the price, if you load in and out a lot.
You are correct.

DRUMSMYWIFE

Important thing: Don't screw in cymbal screws to tight, you can fuck up the threads and the screws that way. Moderate tightening is all that is needed.

GrindheadJim

DRUMSMYWIFE":m9aj1vix said:
Important thing: Don't screw in cymbal screws to tight, you can fuck up the threads and the screws that way. Moderate tightening is all that is needed.
The slicknuts really help with that!

NG1284

While we're on the subject:

Since I just bought a Ludwig set, I now have 2 more Ludwig stands (in addition to the one I already had). They're the typical quality Ludwig stands, 2 booms and 1 straight, and they're all extremely sturdy.

However, it always seems like the top felt is kind of useless. They have those black plastic sleeve/washer combination things with two felts. Even if you tighten the top to the point where it gets stopped by the sleeve the felt still rides up it and it seems like the only thing that's stopping the cymbal movement is the sleeve, not the felt.

Should I order some more felts, or what?