motivation

cableman26

Sometimes with work, and all the other shit in life I find myself lacking the motivation to really want to be better you know? I get on here and read alot and that helps, but you ever find yourself stuck in a rut? What do you guys do to pull out of it?

SGarrett

I listen to new music. It's also alright to put the sticks down for a little while. Sometimes a few days, weeks, or even months off will re-energize you.

Jamie

SGarrett":1g5xbzrw said:
I listen to new music. It's also alright to put the sticks down for a little while. Sometimes a few days, weeks, or even months off will re-energize you.
that is VERY true. I always thought like ya know "duude, i gotta practice for 8 hours a day to get amazing!!" its actually weird, i took about a few weeks off then got on the drumset and when i started to just play certain things, it was like i got better from just resting.

drumsforlife

With anything, rest is important. Why shouldn't that also apply to playing the drums? I mean, if you study for eight hours a day non stop, you're going to get burned out quick. Sometimes you do need to rest and give your mind a break. Give it some time to process the stuff you're working on. I've had a similar experience putting down the sticks for a few days and then when I sat down to play again, it felt so much better and I felt I was much more on top of things. Nothing wrong with taking a rest for a bit. It's what you'd do with anything else if you get burnt out, right? There ya go. Take a rest, and I hope you'll pull out of the rut soon! Later!

Rob the Drummer

cableman26":3fsqo3f1 said:
Sometimes with work, and all the other shit in life I find myself lacking the motivation to really want to be better you know? I get on here and read alot and that helps, but you ever find yourself stuck in a rut? What do you guys do to pull out of it?
Hey man, just ask yourself why you play drums in the first place. We all get stuck in ruts from time to time. You should try doing a pattern that you've never done before. Obsess about it for a while until you have it clean. Once you are getting tired of it, go to something else, then come back to it. You'll find that you'll be adding much to your drumming repertoire.

rebuskyle

Everyone runs into "ruts" and you never know just how long it's going to take to "get back on the horse." One thing that I do which helps me both as a music fan and a drummer is make sure that I have a short list of artists/genres that I'm actively listening to. Basically I'll choose an artist and tell myself "ok...this month I'm listening to ELO", or "ok...this month I'm listening to traditional West African rhythms...maybe some Fela Kuti." It's not that this is ALL I'm listening to, but when I get in my car, or turn on the ipod I know that I've got a list of "homework."

Once you feel that you've gotten a grasp on what the artist/genre has to offer and what you like/dislike about it you move on to a new artist/genre. I find that this cuts all the "geez....what do I want to listen to..." out and it also allows me to not resort to the same album I've been listening to everyday (the ol' standby).

Just a thought...
Kyle

iatemygoat

ive been feeling burnt out for about a month now but with 4 bands i cant exactly stop for a week or so and recover.

1. im still learning songs to memory
2. im playing shows weekly
3. I CANT NOT DRUM FOR MORE THAN A DAY!!! haha

then again i would love a little break. maybe a couple days but i dont know. when i came back from my week vacation in Canada my feet were remarkably slower.

BigBadGogzy

this may seem hateful but maybe someone can relate to it anyway, basically i practise an hour or so a day maybe more, but one time i saw this emo dick who was almost faster than me, and i was like, shit better get my self in gear, also people like travis barker and the avenged sevenfold drummer, i just feel the need to get better from that, advancement feulled by hate, not bad eh?

phil-drummer

its only natural, i watch other drummers play n then try n copy wot i see, usually i end up playin sumthin thats new. so i do that

xrftsx

i get plenty of rest cause i cant play every single day due to my sister always studying for collage(damn woman)
but when i get on my kit and play Veil Of Maya i fell that its almost to easy haha.

Guy&i

mmm i think taking a small break soothes the mind.
when i get to the point where i feel stuck, i take a few days off (if i can) and it makes me so hungry for beating them skins...
the "calling" u will get after a few days off will shake the rut right off u.

another great way to get out of a rut is to let someone play on ur drums.
i dont know if its just me, but when i hear or see someone playing my kit i get so motivated. u just listen from the outside for a change, and it makes u wish u were inside, beating and banging :)

keep experementing!

Led

Yeah I understand, I feal often the same way...My wrist get tired and plays sketchy and I loose inspiration, that means for me it is time to get into more methodic work, and follow basic lessons, just doing the little lessons from buddy rich I was doing as a kid on a pad. And mostly just going away from home and listen to music, claissical you with but also without drum. New stuff I haven't heard search new bands and stuff, going into indie clubs in Montreal is a big help; Or at la place des arts, etc. the best friend's the ipod too ;). Going away from the drum kit take a lil trip and listen to music on the ipod is the best, you can't wait to get back on the set and then you just burn like never before; your momentum is rejuvinated!

peace

scarsdrummer

I have a huge desire to play again. I play for at least two hours a night. Im lucky to have a place where after 6:00 P.M., I can play 'till six the next morning if I want. Longest I went was 'till 10:00. It's so nice to be able to just go and play my heart out. I'm also lucky to not have any kids at the present. So, I have all the time in the world. And, I use it like it's the last day I'll be here. The desire to play is what motivates me. And, playing the drums...well there is nothing else in this world like it.

Le Tambour

I know what u mean, Here's a good way, if u have a old set that is smaller, get on it and try to play the stuff u play on ur normal set, it really makes u feel and also u make improvements, it motivates me outa a rut by letting me feel more than know that it's not the set giving me the ability! Also, play infront of people, it motivates greatly, but one main thing that helps me outa my ruts is I look at it like this, If u love drums and say if a reason y u r in a rut is because u wanna be as amazing as ur idols if u r not there yet, drums are a lifetime of exploration, time and patience is perfectly fine having while playing or being a drummer/percussionist, Neil Peart didn't get where he is today by just starting there, he built up exactly how we do or will, buy his Anotomy of a drum solo dvd, it is really inspireing, he like any drummer should, he lets u know that u can become and get where he is, but u gotta have the patience and wanting, but people help but u make ur dreams and what u wanna accomplish come true, it's all in u! Time is everything! Also switch around ur set, experiment! :)

Steve 456

This is something that I've struggled with for quite sometime now. I'm currently going to school for Music Ed. so I think I'm at that point where I know I have to just do it.

One of the things that gets me going is not only hearing great music but seeing it. When I see other drummers at school and really just soak in everything they do and just listen to how good it sounds, that makes me want to be that guy. I want to be the guy that people talk about as being a player man. I want to be smooth.

Having a private teacher is probably the biggest asset for me. Having experienced eyes and ears dissecting every little thing you do is priceless. They can point things out that you never noticed and for me it's exciting correcting mistakes or bad habits. It becomes equally exciting knowing that someone else gives a shit about your playing and wants to help you improve.

Overall though, if you truly do love the music and your instrument, you'll motivate yourself at your own rate.

Best of luck, stay focused.

Jriddim

I Think this this iss a great post.. I have been feeling the same way latley.. Like I just can't "get in the zone" where like my mind is completly turned off and my body takes over... I havent been in that place in a while and I miss it... I am just having trouble getting back there with all this other shit on mind blocking the path to the "zone"

feel me?.

Brother_Bong

Jamie":vhg5olaa said:
SGarrett":vhg5olaa said:
that is VERY true. I always thought like ya know "duude, i gotta practice for 8 hours a day to get amazing!!" its actually weird, i took about a few weeks off then got on the drumset and when i started to just play certain things, it was like i got better from just resting.
Yup,every time I take an extended break, I come back being able to do some things better, and I think my all around approach ends up kinda maturing. And I totally agree with the work, kids, wife, chores=lack of motivation, but just think, it makes it that much sweeter when I do find time to play.

Rob Crisp

I hear you mate, right now I'm doing 8 hour days with an hour drive each way, teaching one night a week, rehearsing a couple of others, gigging and studying myself in london and I sometimes sit there and feel so drained I don't want to practice.

I don't start work till 11am, so i get up early and make sure I get practicing early. I don't try to cram too much into a sesh either.

If I only get an hour on a pad I make sure I focus on one or 2 things, combining technique ex into a warm up, then working on one thing for a week or more.

I also keep a practice diary, making notes of what I'm practicing, what I'm aiming to achieve and how I'm doing. That helps to motivate you when you can see how close to the goal you are.

Writing how you feel is a good one too, as you can recall those feelings of joy etc when you get something down. That inturn makes you feel good and want to practice.

Hope that helps.

kErmit vOn zOmbie

I bought a box set CD a couple of years ago called "The Engine Room" - Which is largely a history of Jazz drumming from the very 1st recorded Jazz song (so old it pre-dated the invention of the kick pedal) up the the mid-Sixties. After a while of listening to that disc I always want to play again.