Most expressive part of your kit.

Shalaq

Is it the kick? The snare? The ride etc... And why :)
I still can't decide wheter the snare, kick or hats, but I think I'd go with the hats, because you use 3 limbs to operate it, so you can get the most out of it :)

loop

For me it's the snare. Gives me the biggest amount of possibilities to express myself

Trash

For expressivenes, I gotta go with toms. In every case they save any song from the same old, same old. Want a different vibe for your bridge without changing the drive of the song? Ride that floor tom, baby! I use 16th note rolls on my rack tom with great frequency to drive last verses of songs and stuff.

But then agaain, I am a totally new wavey/surfy kinda player.

Bigd11

Snare is a valid comment but for me its Bass drum pedal, quality pays...no infact i change my mind, snare definatly....ok both!

Mistajohn

The player is the most expressive part of the kit.

Become one with your drums. It lessens reaction time.

I try not to think of hitting my snare, I think in terms of what my mind wants out of the snare. The event (the hit) happens long after I am onto the next thought.

Go research some Bruce Lee for more on these ideas...

Rob the Drummer

Really, there is no one piece of a drumset that is more expressive than the other. It's all about how YOU express yourself and your playing. So, my most expressive thing would be me! As the operator of your instrument, you are a part of that instrument, as well as the most fundamentally important part of your band.

Mistajohn

here's the "tesst" to find the most expressive part of your kit:

Re-arrange your drums. Take some things off the kit, or go play some other person's kit.

Play them. Do you sound good. Does your individual drum voice still come out?

This is how you can tell that the drummer is the most expressive part of the kit.

If you say "snare" (and by no means am I saying anyone is wrong), then what happens when the snare is gone? We've all had that gig where the head disintegrates, and we're left with toms. At that point you have to think fast and make the change up.

I have seen cats who can rock the strangest combo of drums. What shows is their musicality. These days, I look at drums as guitarist look at amps. The beat begins in your head, and no matter if you're playing the best DW or a piece of crap with trashcan lid cymbals, it all comes down to how the drummer swings it.

Find your center, perform, make the people dance...

drumbot

Mistajohn is right.

I can play any set, any drum, any thing that makes noise, (after all we are just noise makers) aluminium slides at the park make great sounds, although they are becoming rare, and any part of my body or any size stick etc. and make it sound good.

That's just it.
That is why I'm hired.

However, I do have preferences that I may go with, but on anygiven night, for any given gig or application I may chnge my mind and or try a new setup, or incorporate a new sound. And I'm always amazed when I see someone with a different setup or preference for that gig than I may have, and they rock it so hard, you're like I get, I see why two bass drums, or a mettle bell laying on a tom-tom works.

jayson

So my buddy Greg got me on this forum reading, so now I feel it's time to post. Why are we talking about peices or parts of the drumset? I think that the drumset itself is one instrument, not several smushed all together. I'm the most expressive part of my contraption for sure, but I view the drumset as one instrument, just like a sax player looks at his horn. He can get thousands of different sounds, notes, and noises, and all sorts of different tones as well. Just like I can pull a million different sounds from my snare or tom or ride cymbal, so doesn't that make every part of our kit especially expressive? I think part by part, each piece of the kit would have to be infinite in it's tonal and sound options, so wouldn't all of the parts tie for expressivness?

I'm not saying anyone is wrong in ther choice, I'm just saying to try a different perspective, when I did it changed and helped my musical color behindd the drumset.

I Look forward to talking to you guys.

Jayson

wg93081

My 13' Dark Crisp Hi-Hats and my signature 14' and 12' pAisTe stacks. Well not really sig cymbals! They are a 14 Alpha Crash and 14 Alpha China on top, and 12 Alpha Splash and 12 Signature China on top!!!

clay_wise

There's been some great points made on this thread. I agree with a little of everyone.

Hi hats rule because with slightly decreased pressure with your foot, you can change the entire sound of the song.

I marched snare in high school before i really started on drumset so I'm a little partial to it since most of my fills and drum solos all go off some kind of snare lick. It's also a necessary contrast to the bass drum in almost any beat.

I'm surprised no one has said this yet, the ride/bell combo can be mean as hell and just as versatile as hi hits if used properly. Fast alternate switching between the ride and bell respectively can produce a dance beat feel (i.e. up beat hi hats). I like to accent the guitar's high and low notes during a song intro using the ride and bell. It's hard to get down at first, but becomes very useful when trying to make that ever-so-subtle change you're looking for in a beat.

Toms are very fun and can really make for a cool breakdown anywhere in a song. The beat for the verses in one of my band's songs is alternate floor tom and bass drum with my 12" tom serving as the "snare" for a very driving beat. A lot of drummers will physically tune their toms to specific notes according to the song's key. Oh yes, toms can be extremely expressive.

While maybe not the most flambouyantly expressive, I think the most important part of any beat is the bass drum mainly cause it gives so much drive. What is it most people look for in a stereo system? How hard the bass hits. What is it most people who like rap look for in a song? How hard the bass hits and how it moves. It's what makes people dance. It's what the other members of the band follow on stage. I guess it depends on how you want to define "expressive" because if you mean what creates the beat itself, you'll have to go with bass drum.

Overall, I'm gonna have to agree with those who said that the entire drumset is what's most expressive. Every piece is important. You can be Neil Peart with 15 cymbals and a gong surrounding your 20+ piece half acoustic/half electric drumset, or you can be Travis Barker with a 4 piece punk drumset, each is fantastic in its own way because you the musician (yes I said musician, guitarists...) are what makes each piece sound it's voice. You can't make a very good beat with only one of the afore mentioned pieces. You can't paint a masterpiece with only one color. Whether you have 2 toms or 8, whether you double kick or hoof it with one, whether you even have a crash cymbal or not, if you know the song, what it needs, and what you can do with what you have, you can use every piece of the kit to lay the foundation for the song and accent where it's needed.

By the way, I just want to say that Greg rules because if he weren't on myspace posting links to these threads on his bulletins, I would never have found this incredible forum. Thanks man!

Alexander

My big, beautiful 20" HHX Evolution Ride Cymbal! & My 13" HHX Evolutin HiHats & 5"x12" Pork Pie little squealer snare come in a very close 2nd & 3rd respectively. :lol: