moshing

i dont know what everyone is talking about roid heads and jocks in mosh pits. i have been in plenty and never have i seen a "cut from the football team jock" in one. and if the stories you older people are tlaking about are true about helping each other up, well then onthing has fucking changed. go to a show with kids now, and watch. people still respect each other, you just dont want to belive it because you started the mosh revolution didnt you? and as for moshing and slam dancing and every other gay made up word for it, its not just hardcore slayer and cannibal corpse shows. best pit i was ever in was either saosin or alexisonfire. i guess i am just rambling now, and i am through.

downshifter99

glassinthetrees0":1le012bx said:
i dont know what everyone is talking about roid heads and jocks in mosh pits. i have been in plenty and never have i seen a "cut from the football team jock" in one. and if the stories you older people are tlaking about are true about helping each other up, well then onthing has fucking changed. go to a show with kids now, and watch. people still respect each other, you just dont want to belive it because you started the mosh revolution didnt you? and as for moshing and slam dancing and every other gay made up word for it, its not just hardcore slayer and cannibal corpse shows. best pit i was ever in was either saosin or alexisonfire. i guess i am just rambling now, and i am through.
Ok guy.

Maybe in BR you don't get to see the swell of bare chested,beer-bong-chuggin',dis-respectful red-necks/jocks don't mean you know about the big picture.I'm not here to chew anyones ass but,If you are over the age of 32 and witnessed the decline of the punk era....then the good heavy rock(not glam)...then the accidental grunge movement...then the "nu metal"(aka:rap blended with rock to mix up the kids even more)...then now this "pre-puberty rock"(sounds heavy,then the guy sings and it sounds like he's 15...and they are wearing more make-up then Tammy Fay)...AND have been playing shows more then just out-side your safe state...AND have seen more shows then you could possibly remember then you could talk about a TRUE mosh pit and it's effects on the music scene.

Think before you speak :idea:

I never really like moshing, and I'll tell you why. Back in the day, I was at a Monty are I (formerly Monty's Fan Club) with two of my buddies, and they were in the pit, and they kept making fun of me cuz I didn't want to go in. So, after about ten minutes of them making fun of me, I went in, the second I went in, the biggest fucking guy there plowed through meand knocked me out, sicne then, I've never been able to go into another pit by fear that the biggest mother fucker in there would come right for me.

MetalWill1403HC

Moshing is only good with some kind of music. When I was barly 15 I went to a Childreno f Bodom/Chamaira concert. The adrenaline rushed through me and I was moshing with people twice the size of me. If I"m at an Iorn Maiden concert and some kid is moshing I"ll punch him in the face and tell him to go to the My Chemical Romance show down the street. Good music deseres fans who watch. Loud angry music needs moshing.

It's all good though

strokelahoma

Ok all of you people who are against it seem to think it is an incredibly violent thing. I go to metal/hard rock shows all the time. I love to mosh and I have never been punched. not once. yes there are Big guys who just want to beat little guys but every time I have seen one of them everyone gangs up on them and kicks them out of the pit and then the people on the outside won't let them in. I mean I think that most everyone in the pit is in there because they love the artists and they are getting so pumped up by their performance they need to get rid of some energy. and going into an open spot and pushing people around is a great way to get rid of that energy. there is rarely any punching, it is pushing. and if you get knocked down they all make sure to get you up. I have never even been stepped on. ok I was at a show about 2 weeks ago and well I didn't want to lose my spot against the stage so I had my friend save my spot and I would go mosh. it got to the point that I was severely dehydrated but I still wanted my spot against the stage. I blacked out from the lack of water onto a monitor but apparently everyone around me lifted me up on to the stage and the band's singer took me off stage. If all these mosh pits were angry and just about beating on people no one would have cared that I blacked out and they would have me there. I feel More comfortable in a crowd of thousands of rockers than almost anywhere because I know while we are there I have everyone around me looking out for me and I am looking out for them. Shows and even mosh pits aren't about violence they are about having a great time and while some people may have to move from the front to avoid a mosh pit that is their choice and in my mind they are people I wouldn't want to be at a show with. I mean you don't have to get into the pit. you can just watch. that is perfectly ok. no one else will have a problem with it. I think that people should be moving around at shows. I mean if you want to just sit and watch them that is what the internet is for.at least head bang. when I play shows I get pissed off when I see people just standing there. that isn't the point of the show.

dougthedrummer

downshifter99":248pbzv5 said:
glassinthetrees0":248pbzv5 said:
Ok guy.

Maybe in BR you don't get to see the swell of bare chested,beer-bong-chuggin',dis-respectful red-necks/jocks don't mean you know about the big picture.I'm not here to chew anyones ass but,If you are over the age of 32 and witnessed the decline of the punk era....then the good heavy rock(not glam)...then the accidental grunge movement...then the "nu metal"(aka:rap blended with rock to mix up the kids even more)...then now this "pre-puberty rock"(sounds heavy,then the guy sings and it sounds like he's 15...and they are wearing more make-up then Tammy Fay)...AND have been playing shows more then just out-side your safe state...AND have seen more shows then you could possibly remember then you could talk about a TRUE mosh pit and it's effects on the music scene.

Think before you speak :idea:
HA..I am actually 33,and have seen all those things,and watching futile attempts at comebacks by all of them.

mlumpkin13

I used to mosh but I'm to old for that now. These days when I go to a show, it's homework. I study the drummer so I'm usually not on the floor anymore but when I was, yes people got knocked down but we picked them up as we went past them. There are some dumbasses out there(younger generation in particular) that think you're supposed to hurt people in the pit but hey you deal with dumbasses no matter what you're doing.

grind ninja

hey buddy the reason people at your shows are just standing around is because they are so bord they are about to fall asleep.

no, thats not the case. not at all actually. we dont play all metal, its a little bit of everything (you're basic bar cover set list) but not to metion 30 year old people moshing just looks dumb. but every show tons and tons of people come up and try to talk to us while we're loadingout and no one has said they were bored. sorry to dissapoint you. maybe next time you catch one of our shows it'll be differant for you. wait a tick, you've never been to our shows. so basically you're post was just you talking straight out your butt.

actually, the comment of "hey buddy" i didnt even write that. i copied it from someone else on here so im blowing nothing out "my butt". im not on here to shit talk. btw your right, i prolly wont ever be at one of your shows. its no disappointment on my part. i think you ought to check the hole thread b4 you respond. you would see i didnt write that shit. your prolly a great drummer and we are all here for one common goal. and hey whats up w/ 30 yr olds that moch, dance or whatever? whenever i hit someone i check to see if they are ok. im not some dip shitted football roid head as some folks on here said. i dance for the band thats got me pumped at that moment. not out to kik someones face off. thats not what its about. if you dont like WHAT I WROTE, i dont know what to tell you. eat it :idea:

rockon2112yyz

I feel any type of mass crowd interaction such as moshing or dancing (depending on your style) show they like your band and are having a good time. Thats what music is all about, having a good time

m

I think that what you have here is two diametrically opposed personality types.

One enjoys moving around, physically getting into the event.
The other derives just as much pleasure from intently observing the performers onstage.

I don't know if the two different types can ever really appreciate the other's perspective. It looks to me, from this thread, that each side looks down on the other.

We pay the same admission to get into the show, and we may respect and enjoy the band just as much, but the way we enjoy it is totally different.

I've always been a fan of punk and hard rock music, so I see a lot of mosh pits. While I can say it's personally not for me, I don't see anything wrong with it. When I'm playing I enjoy people getting into the music in any way as long as they don't get hurt, and I think sometimes with mosh pits that's a valid worry.

wombat_drums

Mosh pits rule, it's apart of the music i mainly play. there's something different playing and seeing a crowd going mental infront of you than playing and a few people just stand around staring. (i do play covers and some other stuff to.) you play better and get more into it. its a better atmosphere. I know that it's good to sit back and listen to the music and watch there skills. but you've gotta have fun to. I love being in a mosh pit. here is Oz Everyone still looks after eachother, if someone goes down, you get em up. that simple. I've heard its been a bit different for some Emo and some of this whiney heavy rock stuff concerts, but i dont listen to it and it doesnt really bother me. and those that think its gay to be in a mosh pit, have some serious homosexual issues they need to sort out for themselves. let others have fun and enjoy themselves, and dont judge them cause you want to just watch. you can do that from the back. but in my opinion its very boring when your at show and the crowd does nothing but watches.

m

let others have fun and enjoy themselves, and dont judge them cause you want to just watch. you can do that from the back.
there's one of the things that confuses me most about the topic;
if you came to watch the band, seems to me like the best place to do that is the front. Why does moshing have to be in the front? Why don't they go to the back so the people that are up front to watch & enjoy the show can get the most out of it too?

Rockula!

That is a very valid question
Here's a couple of ideas just off the top of my head (maybe I'm over analyzing this one)
First of all, let's look at the origins of slamming, skanking, moshing, fighting etc...
As much as I hate to aknowledge anything produced by the poster boy for losers, I would have to say that Sid Vicious started the idea with his dance called "The Pogo"
He used to just jump up and down and slam into the backs of people who he thought were trendy punks latching on to his favorite band (The Sex Pistols)
Once he actually joined the Sex Pistols, the crowd was encouraged to become more violent with their dancing in order to advance the reputation of the band
This appealed to all types of angry kids and it looked really shocking on TV (go see the documentary "The Filth and the Fury")
It wasn't until the early 80's when things got more intense here in America with hardcore taking the place of punk
Add the territorial nature of punk kids and their "scenes"(San Francisco VS LA/NYC VS DC or even the very first east coast/west coast rivalry) in the US and you get people using pits for intimidation of individuals that were deemed "posers" and outsiders (see the documentary "American Hardcore")
It was when hardocre started to become infiltrated by metalheads in 85 that I got involved
When kids like me that loved Metallica and Slayer started getting into bands like Suicidal Tendancies, COC and DRI, he whole issue of "Them VS Us" really heated up
Throw in some Nazi Skinheads and you've got one really violent pit
I have actually seen guys go into a pit with knives
I've seen skinheads try to intimidate the bands themselves (although it was probably a mistake to try to intimidate a band that is made up of LA gang members and one GIGANTIC roadie)
All of this changed when Nirvana made it big
You could tolerate a punk
You could tolerate a metalhead
But when Jocks started infiltrating the pits, it was all over for me
If you stood your ground in a pit, you used to get respect and were pretty much left alone (save for the actual pit activities)
Jocks never saw it that way
For them, it was a sport
You were someone to be removed from the pit until all that remained was them and their friends
Once that was accomplished, they "won"
God forbid you were a female in that pit because you were going to get groped
I can't remember any of my female friends complaining of getting sexually assaulted in a pit until the jocks came along (DUDE, I totally grabbed that chick's tits in the pit!!!)

Why is the pit usually in the front?
Because that is prime real estate
Since rock shows started, people scrambled to get a good spot up front for general admission shows
Why not take that spot by force
Plus, most fans would love a chance to show their heroes in a band just how much they love said band
I agree that nothing is cooler from the stage than seeing a large pit
If you have never seen one in front of your stage being driven by your music then you cannot really understand (if you like that sort of thing)

I am one of the few that has not outgrown the pit
I didn't even stop when I was knocked unconcious and broke a collorbone
The only thing that keeps me out of a pit are jocks
They ruin everything
It is not fun when it becomes a contest (although it is fun to stand in the middle of the pit and totally ignore them as they try to knock you out of center)

Alcyon

This is an idiotic conversation. If don't already like to mosh, then you won't get it, and there's no point in trying to convince someone that moshing is fun with words.

The number of jocks or whatever is different in every place, and with every band, and who cares whether Texas had more jocks fucking up the pits than New York does?

If you don't like moshing, that's fine, but don't make idiotic and insulting accusations, and don't claim to understand something that you clearly do not. Likewise, moshers, people who don't like to mosh, flat out don't enjoy it, so don't try to corral them into getting involved - they've made their minds up that they won't understand.

I'm pretty sure this thread can be closed, as it's really nothing more than a mud-slinging hatefest between non-moshers and moshers.

lastditch727

moshing has turned into trying out all your best karate moves in the tightest low rise jeans possible.I miss a good pit.

jbreshears

m":3s588agy said:
let others have fun and enjoy themselves, and dont judge them cause you want to just watch. you can do that from the back.
there's one of the things that confuses me most about the topic;
if you came to watch the band, seems to me like the best place to do that is the front. Why does moshing have to be in the front? Why don't they go to the back so the people that are up front to watch & enjoy the show can get the most out of it too?
I understand about the small shows, it might be easier telling them to go in the back, but a big show, try telling 20000 people to go in the back.

jbreshears

Alcyon":29v9a8cx said:
This is an idiotic conversation. If don't already like to mosh, then you won't get it, and there's no point in trying to convince someone that moshing is fun with words.

The number of jocks or whatever is different in every place, and with every band, and who cares whether Texas had more jocks fucking up the pits than New York does?

If you don't like moshing, that's fine, but don't make idiotic and insulting accusations, and don't claim to understand something that you clearly do not. Likewise, moshers, people who don't like to mosh, flat out don't enjoy it, so don't try to corral them into getting involved - they've made their minds up that they won't understand.

I'm pretty sure this thread can be closed, as it's really nothing more than a mud-slinging hatefest between non-moshers and moshers.

I have to 2nd that brother.

I do agree, drummert2k says alot of asanine shit on here, and targets primarily metal guys. He claims that "metal is easy to play, etc" and he plays Slipknot and Mudvayne in bars and shit. Bullshit. You try haulin 250 bpm on the kicks for 4 minutes straight in a song. It takes alot of endurance and talent.
Coming back to him targeting the metal guys. Listen up son, you best open up your mind, because alot of people dont like you here.
Moshing is a part of metal, face it. It always has been and always will be. Moshing has changed for the worst in a way. You've got all those hardcore kids now who like to swing their arms and legs wildly like fuckin idiots. But all is fun in the pit anyway. You get knocked down, people help ya up. That makes everybody feel good. It shows that metal guys are heartless bastards like people say they are. And seein a pit from the stage when you're playin is just amazing. Watching that, knowing that those people dig your shit that much, that they're starting a pit. It's just another way to show interest at a show.
Circle pits are the epitome of moshing for me. Or just runnin into each other, shoulder charges, none of this socking people and swingin your arms. THose kid's get their asses beat in the pit.
If ya dont know it or havent tried it, dont knock it. You just make yourself look like an ass and nobody likes it. That means you Drummert2k. You really dont have any friends here because of it.

drummert2k

fullmetaldrummer87":36lepben said:
I do agree, drummert2k says alot of asanine shit on here, and targets primarily metal guys. He claims that "metal is easy to play, etc" and he plays Slipknot and Mudvayne in bars and shit. Bullshit. You try haulin 250 bpm on the kicks for 4 minutes straight in a song. It takes alot of endurance and talent.
Coming back to him targeting the metal guys. Listen up son, you best open up your mind, because alot of people dont like you here.
Moshing is a part of metal, face it. It always has been and always will be. Moshing has changed for the worst in a way. You've got all those hardcore kids now who like to swing their arms and legs wildly like fuckin idiots. But all is fun in the pit anyway. You get knocked down, people help ya up. That makes everybody feel good. It shows that metal guys are heartless bastards like people say they are. And seein a pit from the stage when you're playin is just amazing. Watching that, knowing that those people dig your shit that much, that they're starting a pit. It's just another way to show interest at a show.
Circle pits are the epitome of moshing for me. Or just runnin into each other, shoulder charges, none of this socking people and swingin your arms. THose kid's get their asses beat in the pit.
If ya dont know it or havent tried it, dont knock it. You just make yourself look like an ass and nobody likes it. That means you Drummert2k. You really dont have any friends here because of it.
first off, i never said metal was easy to play or targeted it. maybe you should try reading more than one of my posts before you jump to conclusions. i do play some metal in a bar band but im not a metal guy. besides, its all mainstream stuff anyway, its a cover band.

as far as moshing, it just sucks when you seea few people really enjoying the music but they get knocked around and end up going to the back because they dont wanna get hit. its just not considerate.

fullmetaldrummer87, you seem to be the one that needs to be more open minded. just your name on here tends to lean towards you being a fan of metal seemingly making you a little bias on this topic. but moshing doesnt go for just metal bands. a few years ago i was at a taking back sunday show and there was a pit. moshing goes in pretty much most styles of live music nowadays.but you really need to understand the difference between a drumming community and a crap talking ignorance fest. this boad is a drumming community and you're post was just a personal post about me because you felt threatened because im not a fan of metal

p.s. mudvayne is fun to play but i still cant stand slipknot. its call an opinion and persoanl preference in music. get over it. and you dont need to believe if i can play it or not. i dont practice hours a day to impress you.