moshing

ccrdrums

do any yall got stories about mosh pits id like to hear them cuz i like to mosh plus dont it seem the bigger the mosh the better the drum solo sometimes?

drummert2k

mosh pits are a way for people with homosexual tendencies to touch each other in public and get away with it. music to me should make someone feel good inside and positive and take away any problems or hardships they have. not make people want to hit and kick each other. im not a fan of angry music. i guess i've just never seen the rough times like these people sing, i mean yell, about in thier songs to make everyone start circling and swinging. if you want to mosh, do it outside the venue. there might be people inside that actually wanna watch the band

meta L ucas

I GOTTA SAY THAT ITS A GOOD FEELING WHEN NO ONE CAN BE STILL WHEN I'M PLAYING. ITS A RUSH. I'LL HIT A PAUSE AND THEN BLOW UP A HEAVY GROOVE AND EVERYONE GOES APESHIT. PRETTY COOL. I GET OFF STAGE HIGHER THAN A KITE EVERY TIME.

freddy5g

drummert2k":1lzsgwnj said:
mosh pits are a way for people with homosexual tendencies to touch each other in public and get away with it. music to me should make someone feel good inside and positive and take away any problems or hardships they have. not make people want to hit and kick each other. im not a fan of angry music. i guess i've just never seen the rough times like these people sing, i mean yell, about in thier songs to make everyone start circling and swinging. if you want to mosh, do it outside the venue. there might be people inside that actually wanna watch the band
homosexual tendencies??? feeling unsure about your own? most people misunderstand heavy/hardcore music as "angry." While I have long outgrown moshpits they were some of the funnest times I had when I was in middle/high school. A great way to relieve aggression without being angry. Sometimes, there is some dumbfuck aryan meathead wanna be, trying to start a fight, but if its a good pit they get thrown out and the fun resumes. If you have ever been knocked down in a pit and seen several arms there to pick you up you, know its about much more than anger.

mattdoesrock

Mosh pits are awesome. Period.

I agree with what freddy5g said, most people dont understand heavy music. Me, I love the stuff, I recently bought Slipknots "9 Live" live album...and it rocks so hard, I wish I had been there just for the incredible mosh pits. Maybe its because I am only a wee little'un at 17, but I still think - dont knock it till you've tried it.

When im playing, I think watching people go crazy is great - at the right time of course. :D

meta L ucas

drummert2k said:
kinda close minded to the "heavy music" crowd or something. i wonder who listens to DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL. j/k i just feel like staying in the thread

Rockula!

It used to be fun
Then Nirvana came along
Then the jocks started getting into it
Next thing you know, people act like it's a sport "Who can fuck up the most people in the pit" mentality
Now it's shirtless sweaty fuckasses with goatees, eyebrow piercings and backwards baseball caps who can't get laid taking out their frustrations on the pit
Nothing will match the pit from the Ramones 1984 tour
And, yes, we "handled" the nazi skins

drummert2k

meta L ucas":3nysd6sg said:
kinda close minded to the "heavy music" crowd or something.
no, i just play way to many shows with my one band where the pits start and people who actually wanna watch and enjoy the music get knocked down and end up going back in the back so they dont get hit again. mosh pits are dumb!

The J man

i agree with Rockula. it used to be a time when moshing coincided more with music. it was more about fun and it was more an interaction with the band and the music. when people fell you were quick to pick them up. people recognized the fun aspect of it and everyone had a good time.

then it turned into big guys pummeling anyone smaller than them. not even paying attention to the band but focusing on punishing people. the fun left and it was suddenly all angst and anger.

m

does moshing differ from skanking these days?

I think back when I was doing the punk thing, there was more 'skanking' going on than 'moshing.' I'm not sure if there's a big difference or not, but it seemed like back then it was more respectful of other peoples space, there was less 'intent to collide.' Maybe 'skanking' is just skater vernacular for moshing, I dunno. I think they had 'slam dancing' back then too.
dang I'm getting old.

Rockula!

m":16eb0u08 said:
does moshing differ from skanking these days?.
Skanking (for you young 'uns) was almost like dancing whilst bumping into each other (very hard of course)
Nowadays, moshing is stomping around in a circle and throwing punches

ccrdrums

ithink if youre so worried bout gettin hit then id advise u NOT TO GET AGAINST THE RAILS or anywhere around the front thats where i go cuz i like to mosh theres a thing here every year called rock the desert and its 3 days of BIG cristian bands that come out and rock theres mosh pits there and they never get out of control all the young guys that want to mosh get to go up front and only christans go so if you get hurt or knocked down its not like they trample you but then again i like other concerts too where moshimngs a little different but the whole deal is there dont get into a mosh pit they are easy to avoid unless you want to mosh

ccrdrums

plus here in midland we dont have no problems with nazi/aryan/skinheads they dont come round here no more cuz we shoot back

Rockula!

ccrdrums":dld4a98s said:
ithink if youre so worried bout gettin hit then id advise u NOT TO GET AGAINST THE RAILS or anywhere around the front thats where i go cuz i like to mosh theres a thing here every year called rock the desert and its 3 days of BIG cristian bands that come out and rock theres mosh pits there and they never get out of control all the young guys that want to mosh get to go up front and only christans go so if you get hurt or knocked down its not like they trample you but then again i like other concerts too where moshimngs a little different but the whole deal is there dont get into a mosh pit they are easy to avoid unless you want to mosh
OK
That was one long ass stream of consciousness sentence
Take a breather for a second

It does make sense that you wouldn't be trampled to death at a cristian rock festival seeing as 99 percent of that stuff is completely devoid of the one thing that makes heavy rock heavy in the first place
Plus, you're automatically assuming that people will treat you better just because they are cristians

As for the rest of your statement
I am a bit confused as to what you are talking about
Things kinda ran together and I got lost

infiznitch

meta L ucas":2v57z2o2 said:
I GOTTA SAY THAT ITS A GOOD FEELING WHEN NO ONE CAN BE STILL WHEN I'M PLAYING. ITS A RUSH. I'LL HIT A PAUSE AND THEN BLOW UP A HEAVY GROOVE AND EVERYONE GOES APESHIT. PRETTY COOL. I GET OFF STAGE HIGHER THAN A KITE EVERY TIME.
YES FULL ON MAN. Maybe it's just the metal guys that understand this, but when you really FEEL the music... you tend to lose control of yourself, and what better way to do than knock some heads. I remember what it was like as a little rawker trying to mosh will all the skinheads to my favorite bands, so when i see people doing to same when im on stage, i know i must be doing somthing right! the best thing to do is channel the rush you get from seeing the mosh pit, hearing them chanting the lyrics and pumping there fist to your cannons! adrenaline rushes are killer when you want to crank up the double kick!!

zen_drummer

meta L ucas":zdnzzxmm said:
On your keyboard there's a button right above the left "shift" key...

Pretend there's a bug on it.... Now squish it...

Thank you...

wak

right i feel i should clarify a few things

this "moshing" as rockula called it, is known as "beatdown" and is almost purely reserved for hardcore bands, like hatebreed (this style is almost always done by the "skinheads" and "kids")

i dont really know the "true" definition of moshing, im only 25, and it had been around many years before i found it

then there is head-bangin, which is self explanitory, and has been part of rock / metal for many years

now there is also the "wall of death" crowd splits in two, then charges towards each other, much fun

skanking was basically a gay jig

and a big note to drummert2k, im doin my best now to not flame you, as you have flamed everything i stand for

but, since when has punching your fists / horns in the air, swinging your head about and a little jumping been remotely fuckin homosexual, what you wanna see, fuckin tree huggers all sitting around being perfectly quiet, scared to move incase they hurt somebody

what you are referring to is a circle pit, and they usually start on the request of the BAND, as with the wall of death, its all related to the energy of the music

with other styles of music, i admit, there is no place for it, but with metal, it IS part of the atmosphere
what has gone wrong with metal, is that now, you get ALL the smallest people in the room, making a run for the barrier at the front, which i think is fuckin stupid, a few thousand people behind them and they hope to be able to maintain concoiusness throughout

the most dangerous thing in ANY musical show is a crush, which can happen anywhere, usually the more popular the act, the bigger the crush, hence why the crowd is now separated into several sections in festivals these days

so now, i urge people, if you dont understand the complete scenario of a mosh pit, including the music
dont fuckin comment on it, and anybody else that thinks they should comment on it without knowing all the facts about it, FUCK OFF!
i find almost all other shows to be boring as hell

i dont hear anybody dissing fuckin ravers, and they dont even have music to go to, they just buy a lot of drugs and spaz out for a weekend, you wanna call something gay, its either that, or a everybody sitting down with their lighters held up

SmellsLikeIan

freddy5g":2rk00fx6 said:
While I have long outgrown moshpits they were some of the funnest times I had when I was in middle/high school. A great way to relieve aggression without being angry. Sometimes, there is some dumbfuck aryan meathead wanna be, trying to start a fight, but if its a good pit they get thrown out and the fun resumes. If you have ever been knocked down in a pit and seen several arms there to pick you up you, know its about much more than anger.
The J man wrote:
then it turned into big guys pummeling anyone smaller than them. not even paying attention to the band but focusing on punishing people. the fun left and it was suddenly all angst and anger.

I was in the middle of a big pit at a Slayer show in 1997. It was pretty cool, people helping one another up if someone fell, etc. Not people getting punched in the face or anything. I crowd surfed. It was one of the few times I could see much, because all the big guys were up front, blocking the view. GWAR was the same way. I saw them in '97 and again last November, but the last time i didn't get into the pit. And again I couldn't see anything, because of all the giant assholes. I'm not a midget (5'9") but there were a ton of dudes there that were 6'3"! Rudeness....