Morgan Rose vs. Mike Portnoy

Spydr2000

Who do you think is better? They play different styles but both are very progressive players who have tons of technique.

Rooster

Spydr2000":38e2krvx said:
Who do you think is better? They play different styles but both are very progressive players who have tons of technique.
They're both extremely overrated

TamaSwngstr121

I dont believe in better, because they are different and no one drums exactly the same, therefore i think no one can be 'better'. But im a big Portnoy fan. :D

Spydr2000

TamaSwngstr121":2yn92nvl said:
I dont believe in better, because they are different and no one drums exactly the same, therefore i think no one can be 'better'. But im a big Portnoy fan. :D
I'm a Rose fan but have a easier time learning Portnoy's techniques. I'm not saying Portnoy is easier by any means it's just Rose has really odd kick drum placement with busy patterns.

Rockaflodge

Everybody on here knows how big of a fan of morgan rose I am, to put him and mike against each other is just wrong, mike is a very kick ass drummer and will go down as one of the classic drummer idols, I love morgan but I dont see him being a idol down the road BUT when it comes down to who can put on the best show...Morgan's got it hands down. I have seen him live four times and he will kick your ass and not tell you sorry. I got a chance to spend about a hour hanging out with him, not only is he a hell of a drummer, he is a real great person. so what I am saying is...Morgan will be my fav. but I cant put him in the same place as mike.

mikebodrums

i have just seen videos of mike, but i have seen morgan live and man he is just supernatural.....and playing a kit 1/3 the size of portnoy....both greath drummers but i would pick morgan....

SynDigiTal

I was a little surprised to see this as even a comparison.

Its definitely unfair to compare the two. I do highly enjoy dream theater.

But Morgan Rose has been my favorite drummer for a long time. Hell, I mean I wouldnt say I base my drum style off of him, but his definitely motivated me to be as aggressive as I am on stage. Id love to meet the guy sometime in my life.

British Boy

In essence, drummers can't be better than one another. You cannot compare quality of art (in a professional level anyway) because essentially it's all opinion.

If one is better than the other, then you're not talking music, you're talking sport.

Danjita Drummer

Rooster":2je64te5 said:
Spydr2000":2je64te5 said:
They're both extremely overrated
Morgan Rose is my biggest influence as a Metal player. I dig his sound and crazy technique! People are constantly saying i sound like a crazy Hybrid of Him and Jason Bowld from Pitchshifter (i play a lot of drum n bass and jungle beats with my band, as well as hardcore sevendust style grooves) Portonoy is really tallented no doubts, but he's too much like thomas lang for my liking.. shows off too much and has way too many drums.

RLRRLRLL

I'm not even close to being a Portnoy fan, and Morgan is my personal drum god...so it's a bit of an unfair question anyway;) I'm also not a huge fan of the "who's better than who" questions, I think everyone has something to offer.

stidger

both great drummers but for me its Portnoy evry time

the bloke is simply class...see him play live and you will see what i mean

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

AKforYou

well, i like mike portnoy's style of drums.. His drumming in his band, if hes still in the band, Liquid Tension Experiment, the drums were really sticking out as in, the drums were like the main part of all the songs

but for morgan rose, man this guy is goood. haha drums are pretty funky and ill like his sense in the drums. sevendust is a pretty good band also..

but, ill have to go with mik portnoy, he has more experience and the sounds he makes is cleaner and more creative

getsdead

Howepirate":2jelclw4 said:
Opeth drummer FTW! (ex drummer)
His name is Martin Lopez and I completely agree. Although he might not have as many tricks up his sleeve as Portnoy or Rose, his drumming has a bit of cultural influence about it. However, he can't play relaxing music for shit - if you listen to their mellow record, "Damnation," he plays the same beat throughout the entire cd.