Moeller Method...anyone?

keith bushey

I'm thinking about buying the Moeller DVD's, does anyone in here have any input? I like what I see on the reviews but am still a little skeptical. Does it "really" help?

tom_c

keith bushey":3b9ew9tl said:
I'm thinking about buying the Moeller DVD's, does anyone in here have any input? I like what I see on the reviews but am still a little skeptical. Does it "really" help?

In a Word YES

SGarrett

If it's a gimmick, it's hundred year old gimmick that's both highly successful and effective. :)

If you want to get a feel for it check out Dom Famulao's lessons at VicFirth.com.

mrgreenjeans2234

the moellery stroke is something i think every
drummer should learn
it gives your stroke alot more power with less amount
of body energy.
however on the downside it doesnt give you speed many
Drummers today are looking for.

i suggest you learn it and incomporate it in your drumming
because once you properly learn the moeller stroke
it opens a whole new realm of drumming possobilitys

Homki890

mrgreenjeans2234":70phijqk said:
drummer should learn
of body energy.

You kidding me? It uses the entire forearm, whereas just a regular stroke (usually) is just from the wrist. Moeller takes MORE energy than a regular stroke.

Homki890

SGarrett

Homki890":hb7d19bv said:
mrgreenjeans2234":hb7d19bv said:
drummer should learn
of body energy.

You kidding me? It uses the entire forearm, whereas just a regular stroke (usually) is just from the wrist. Moeller takes MORE energy than a regular stroke.

Homki890
We play a lot harder than you do. Getting that volume from the wrist alone isn't practical.

peripsy

In my opinion try the new "jojo mayer: secret weapons for the modern drummer".It is the best instructional dvd and he explains a lot of things about hand technique.The moeller stroke use the minimum energy because you can do at least 3 strokes(DOWN-TAP-UP).Jojo can do 6 strokes with one move if you think it's a waste of energy.There are many great drummers that they're not use the moeller stroke but that depends on you.IN my opinion is a very useful tool for us, just try it to make your own opinion.

Homki890

SGarrett":266n5r8h said:
Homki890":266n5r8h said:
mrgreenjeans2234":266n5r8h said:
drummer should learn
of body energy.

Homki890
We play a lot harder than you do. Getting that volume from the wrist alone isn't practical.
Unfortunately, Moeller isn't for volume, it's for speed. And I'm pretty sure that my rimshot will equal the volume of your rim shot, no matter the technique. There is a limit as to how loud something can get. Rimshot will hit that wall, and not climb any higher in volume.

You want power in a stroke? Don't use Moeller, use your entire arm.

Homki890

SGarrett

Homki890":2v6nn4tg said:
SGarrett":2v6nn4tg said:
Homki890":2v6nn4tg said:
mrgreenjeans2234":2v6nn4tg said:
drummer should learn
of body energy.

Homki890
Unfortunately, Moeller isn't for volume, it's for speed. And I'm pretty sure that my rimshot will equal the volume of your rim shot, no matter the technique. There is a limit as to how loud something can get. Rimshot will hit that wall, and not climb any higher in volume.

You want power in a stroke? Don't use Moeller, use your entire arm.

Homki890
Are you sure you know what the three Moeller positions actually are and why it was invented in the first place? I know you're a music major and all, but that didn't make any sense. Moeller does use your entire arm, because high volume playing with just the small muscles of the wrist and fingers will tire you out in a hurry. How do you pick your forearm up for a low Moeller? With your bicep, in your upper arm. How do you pick your arm up for the next two Moeller strokes? The large muscles in your shoulder. This allows you to play harder and longer while still using your fingers and wrists for speed. It was invented for marching drummers who had to march and play all day for weeks at a time. If you try to tell me that you can get the same volume from your wrist that you can get from bringing your elbow over your head, you've never learned Moeller correctly.

pasta

I second the Jo Jo Mayer video. It really breaks down the Moeller better than any youtube or anyone else I've seen.

drastic

Moeller is very useful I find. It feels great once it's natural....
A drum teacher began teaching me it years ago, and then told me I was already doing it with my right hand (READ: arm). Now I'm working it with the left, which feels strange but is getting easier.
It's great for accents.

mrgreenjeans2234

Homki890":1rwxckhz said:
mrgreenjeans2234":1rwxckhz said:
drummer should learn
of body energy.

Homki890
dude no offence you might be a music major as the rumor claims around here.
but ive been using moeller since ive learned to play way back in the day.
i marched snare from my freshmean year of highschool till my senior year of college and then proceeded to take it on
to the maddison scouts 2 years after that and every time i was on a field with which ever core i used moeller stroke and
what your saying is that after 10 years of marching including that of a very credible dci drumcore that the moeller stroke is overrated and
useless?

sgarrett has the right idea thats the exact mechanics of the moeller your using your forearm but not in the sense one would picture with improper drumming technique the moeller stroke is a whipping motion used by the forearm but doesnt use as much energy because it is a more natural fluid motion for the arms to do.

if you are not doing a fluid motion of the forearm and are not using the mechanics that i wont repeat because of redundancy that sgarret said then
you dont know the technique properly or for that matter at all.

Homki890

mrgreenjeans2234":1jl33s6t said:
Homki890":1jl33s6t said:
mrgreenjeans2234":1jl33s6t said:
drummer should learn
of body energy.

Homki890
dude no offence you might be a music major as the rumor claims around here.
but ive been using moeller since ive learned to play way back in the day.
i marched snare from my freshmean year of highschool till my senior year of college and then proceeded to take it on
to the maddison scouts 2 years after that and every time i was on a field with which ever core i used moeller stroke and
what your saying is that after 10 years of marching including that of a very credible dci drumcore that the moeller stroke is overrated and
useless?

sgarrett has the right idea thats the exact mechanics of the moeller your using your forearm but not in the sense one would picture with improper drumming technique the moeller stroke is a whipping motion used by the forearm but doesnt use as much energy because it is a more natural fluid motion for the arms to do.

if you are not doing a fluid motion of the forearm and are not using the mechanics that i wont repeat because of redundancy that sgarret said then
you dont know the technique properly or for that matter at all.
Yes, it is overrated. I never said useless though. Don't put words in my mouth.

Ok. Moeller uses the forearm, we're all agreed on that. My beef is not the mechanics. I know how it works, I've known for a good part of my drumming life. I've marched snare and tenors. I've studied for nearly every year of my ten years of drumming, have placed in several snare drumming competitions, write rudimental snare and tenor solo literature, and am currently playing tenors in college and center snare for an Indoor WGI line. I'm currently studying drumset technique, and have applied Moeller to the set and pedal.

I know the technique.

And with that authority, I will say that it is overrated. I'm not here to argue the mechanics, even though some of what you claim doesn't fit the bill. My beef is that the Moeller accomplishes too little for too much. It uses the arm, which will wear you out hella faster than playing with wrists and fingers. It's called Physiology and how our muscles work. The fluid motion that you both speak of is great, but it still means that you are using your arm, which is way more energy than needed.. Any decent drummer can play the exact same thing Moeller can with less energy and less effort. Everyone seems to hail Moeller as the Wonder Drug of technique. Bullshit. I can move my wrists and fingers and get a much better sound than ANY person playing Moeller can.

And SGarrett, I can in fact make a wrist shot sound just as loud or louder than a shot from above your head. It's a simple matter of sound physics. There's a max volume that the drum will play, and it won't go higher. This myth that these drummers who play with their sticks up Jesus's robes play louder than everyone else, is proved wrong time and time again. And I'm also backchecking your history. What you said makes absolutely no sense.

And mrgreenjeans2234, I'd have more respect for your time put in for the Moeller, if you didn't misspell "Drum Corps" and "Madison Scouts." C'mon, for all that you claim, you should know how to spell Corps. And for the record, the Scouts are probably one of the most overrated Division I Corps. Bluecoats, SCV, Cavaliers, BD, that's where it's at. The Scouts? C'mon.

YouTube is being a bitch, and not letting me upload a video of me and Moeller. As soon as I can, I'll post, showing what Moeller is once and for all. Till then, think before you question my integrity.

Homki890

Empyrean Drums

There isn't a technique you can learn that will make you worse off by knowing it and I question the integrity of anyone who claims otherwise.