mixing and matching?

mute

so, i always wanted a gretsch because i always loved the sound of the bass drums on em. i saved up for years and finally bought one a few years ago with my old band. and there was much happiness.

after the honeymoon wore off, though, i realized that i'm not a huge fan of the toms. they're small and not very boomy, which i like in drums.

so now i'm thinking about switching out the toms. is that a bad idea? i have three rack toms (8 inch, 10, and 12) and a 14 inch floortom. how likely is it that they'd clash with the bass drum?

thanks

mute

also, anyone know of good toms that go well w/ gretsch bass drum?

also, is there a tom-only market?

drummert2k

most companies you can basically order what you want. if you want a 8x12 inch toms, you call or email them and they'll send it to ya.

but this isnt a bad idea at all. whatever you have to do to get the sound you want. but i'd recommend going to a drum store and hitting a few drums to get an idea of what you'd want. maybe even take your kick drum and ask to see if you can do a few fills or something to hear how they blend. and if the drum store cant sell you just what you need they'll most likely be able to order right there for ya if you can find something you'd like.

Musicfreak15678

Do you have the Renown Maple? Because that is what I have. I'm not sure what type or style of music you play, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to change them to bigger ones if that is what the music calls for.

I have the 8, 10, 12, 14 as well. Luckily, my guitarist plays acoustic and I can get away with tuning the 10 high (Don't have the 8 mounted yet) and tuning the 12 and 14 low and still have it sound good. Of course, the 12 and 14 don't sound like cannons but the bass drum sure does.

mute

yeah, tk. i've considered taking the bass drum in and trying it with a few different tom-sets. this won't be for a while, of course. money is always an issue. but i want to start thinking ahead.

how much does a set of toms generally cost?

freak, i have the catalina birch. it's basically the "squier" line of gretsch's, i think. the bass drum definitely has that gretsch sound, though. i think the toms would be good for softer/acoustic stuff. i can't tune mine too low, though, because the heads get too loose and sound crappy pretty quick.

i usually play fast and loud. i feel like a lot of the new sets out there have smaller toms, these days. i personally like the old style of the big old toms that are clunky, but are deep and boomy.

break the prism

i've done that before. i had my old drumset's toms which were smaller and put them on an old TAMA swingstar that had enormous toms. it ended up sounding fine.

you could also look in virtually any drum dealer's catalog and order single toms.

iatemygoat

a buddy of mine once told me that the drummer for some punk band (NOFX maybe?) didnt have a single matching drum. over the years he had just played so many and kept the ones he liked best. so his set is all different colors and brands.

andybfrank

The problem is the sizes of drums, not the brand. I have a Gretsch with a 12" tom and 16" floor tom, and they sound very big and boomy. I just don't understand why the fusion kit is so popular these days. I like to have the 10" tom for a higher pitch, but the 14" just does not cut it for the low end, no matter how you tune it. If you get the same sized toms from another brand, you're going to have the same problem. You just need bigger toms. I know you can order add-on drums for the Renowns and New Classics. I'm not sure about the Catalinas though. But you could just order the shell and parts for amdrumparts.com, which is basically the same thing: 6 ply Keller maple shell.

SmellsLikeIan

andybfrank":u1mb1slm said:
The problem is the sizes of drums, not the brand. I have a Gretsch with a 12" tom and 16" floor tom, and they sound very big and boomy. I just don't understand why the fusion kit is so popular these days. I like to have the 10" tom for a higher pitch, but the 14" just does not cut it for the low end, no matter how you tune it. If you get the same sized toms from another brand, you're going to have the same problem. You just need bigger toms. I know you can order add-on drums for the Renowns and New Classics. I'm not sure about the Catalinas though. But you could just order the shell and parts for amdrumparts.com, which is basically the same thing: 6 ply Keller maple shell.

Yup, too small to be really boomy. Just order a 16" floor tom. Maybe even sell the 8" to help pay for part of it. The drum companies are cheaping out with all their entry and mid level kits being "fusion" sized. Fusion my ass. They just want to save themselves some cash on shipping and materials while charging the same price (or more) so they can increase their profits and drive up their stock value.

Drummer93

i dont really like mixing, even with cymbals....like having 2 sabian 2 zildian ect.......it doesnt look good and usually doesnt sound right......if you have the money i would just get a pearl masterworks haha :D

drummert2k

mixing all depends on what you're looking for. if theres a specific sound you're looking for out of each thing, go for it. if you want the sound of a starclassic floor tom, ludwig birch kick drum, and pearl forum toms with a cb percussion snare go for it. brand names are just that. only brand names. and whats more important, how it looks or how it sounds? im going with how it sounds.

I have a DW set, it's a beautiful set, I love it, I always wanted 3 toms for it, I already had the 10", and the 12", and I wanted the 8". So when the opportunity came, I got an 8" Tame tom, it's almost the same color, which is good, and it sounds just as amazing as everything else.

scepticILL

I certainly don't think there's such an intimate relationship between toms and bass drums. I think almost any tom you decide to get will go well with the bass drum. Just my opinion...